Cat Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat Question

Would upgrading the stock exhaust with say 2.75" piping from the cat to the muffler (without changing the cat) incrase performance. Am I better off trying to just change the cat as well.

Basically is it worth it because I'm seeing it cost close to $200 and I really don't have the money to afford a new cat. Upgrading the piping (2.75") after it should yield me a significant performance boost...right?

[ May 14, 2002: Message edited by: 99Camaro99 ]</p>

Yes but you should just do both at the same time to save some time and money. Highflow cats are under $60 and you can get a used 2.75 i pipe basically for free. Check my sig... A bigger I pipe will free up some power and make your exhaust sound better but adding a highflow cat will help even more.
    1993 3.4 <br />Borla rear section<br />3 inch Catco High Flow Cat<br />2.75 inch I pipe (Picked one up from an LT-1 guy for a whole $10)<br />K&N Fipk <br />180° T-stat<br />Jet Stage II<br />10 Spoke Z28 Wheels<br />NGK\'s, Taylor Spiros<br />Mobil 1 synthetic<p>Email Viper2@chesnet.net for 4th gen replacement parts.

Comment

remember....
      the bigger road you give for your exhaust to leave, without widening the road for air to get in, the more low-end torque you're gonna lose.
      there will be those that will say "no way i put a 3 inch catback on mine and it dynoed more" but you cannot dispute the engineering behind scavenging of intake gasses by low-pressure exh pulses during valve overlap on intake stroke.
      don't be surprised if after going with bigger exhaust you feel a little sluggish off the line...
      ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

Feeling sluggish off the line?

Cure: Lower gear ratio =-)

BAM!
        2002 Camaro SS 6 Spd<br />Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Still breaking it in<p>Traded in - 2002 V6 5 Spd Camaro.<p>\"I\'ll never trust squirrels again.\"

Comment

nah I've done full intake...minus a CAI which I am putting on in a few weeks.

My question is...how much of a difference in performance will I see with a full catback with the cat converter changed or having just the catback with stock cat converter?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X