Manifold O2 Sensor question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manifold O2 Sensor question!

What is the purpose of having an O2 sensor for each bank? Would I be making a mistake in running wiretaps from my passenger side to my driver side, thereby providing the same signal for both sensors?
    And since I have your attention -- what mixes the car -- the MAF or the O2's, or both?

Thanks folks, and hey i searched. I'm asking because I have some O2 issues. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    -Rob
    <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

I would have to say the reason for an O2 in each bank would be to detect a lean or rich condition on one side, thereby aiding troubleshooting. Also, I don't know if the PCM can change the pulsewidth for individual injectors or not, but if it can, it could then attempt to correct a lean or rich condition by adjusting the injector pulsewidths on the appropriate side.
    So, I would say that "in theory" it probably wouldn't really hurt in general if you used one O2, but I don't know if the PCM would be able to recognize that, and throw a code.
    As to mixing, when the car is in closed loop, the PCM uses the MAF, MAP, and O2 sensors to set and adjust the mixtures. In open loop, the PCM uses the MAF and MAP sensors only.
    Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

TTT ... any other opinions?
      <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

Whats the purpose of an O2 sensor period =) I had to cut off my passenger side wires to get the manifold out when I changed to headers and havent fixed it. I droped times at the track by .2 in the 1/8th- Gotta get it re wired but Im having a hard time unplugging it.
        97 Special Edition Bird , Short bus stlye special

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Takumi Fujiwara:
          Whats the purpose of an O2 sensor period =) I had to cut off my passenger side wires to get the manifold out when I changed to headers and havent fixed it. I droped times at the track by .2 in the 1/8th- Gotta get it re wired but Im having a hard time unplugging it.<hr></blockquote>

Good luck on your engine longevity....they ensure that no rich or lean conditions arise.
          <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X