Bad cat affect gas mileage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad cat affect gas mileage?

Will a bad cat affect your gas mileage to the point where it's definetly noticeable? My gas mileage has been going down hill recently, and it's great when you need to fill up every 3 days when gas costs $2.00 a gallon.

My cat has been rattling pretty bad lately, and it is after all my stock cat. Never had it replaced yet after 60,000 miles. You think if I replaced it with a carsound high-flow cat, my mileage would increase?
    94 Camaro 3.4 A4 <br />T-Tops<br />In the process of an LS1 swap.

my mileage increased after I put my high-flow cat on
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/512325\" target=\"_blank\">2004 Silver Impala</a> Faster than my Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=282862\" target=\"_blank\">3.4L Red 1995 Pontiac Firebird</a><b> For Sale</b>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BlitzPuppet:
      my mileage increased after I put my high-flow cat on<hr></blockquote>

Mine too [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] And, I went with a Carsound Cat :D :D

-Marc
      sigpic

Comment

Definatley dude, my stock cat was bad, and I was pretty sure it was clogge.d I got horrible gas mileage before I changed over. If it is making noise, that is definatley your problem. Get a carsound.

Comment

Man i cat went bad at 70K, i just had them cut it off. And the gas mileage went up. Plus the guy told me that a bad cat affects HP too? Dont really know about the Hp though. Good louck. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
          <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/99gatorbird\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/99gatorbird</a><br />99 Ram Air V6, 18\" Z06 Rims, WS6 Ram Air Style Hood and Lower airbox, Center Force Dual Friction, 3.42 GM Gears, Zexel-Torsen LSD, Free Mods, Dynomax Ultra Flow, Custom Interior, Several Decals from firebats cave<p>9/14/03<br />1/8- 10.45 @ 66.72<br />(I know i can do better)

Comment

By bad gas mileage what are you guys talking about. HOw many miles do you get per tank. I will admit I drive faily hard but only get about 310-320 kms per tank which is about 200 miles, everything else on the car is good. I might get lucky and maybe need a new cat :D
            1998 Firebird W68 Y87 A4<br />Raised Airbox<br />3\" Dynomax Ultra Flow CatBack<br />2800 Stall Torque Converter<br /><a href=\"http://www.tyler98w68.isask.ca\" target=\"_blank\">www.tyler98w68.isask.ca</a>

Comment

auctually if your cat is clogged up it can not only affect mileage and performance if it's clogged up for long enough and you let the backpressure build you can do bad things to your motor, if your mileage has been steadily decreasing you might want to check your cat also your 02 sensors
              -Brad
              98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
              2000 V-Star Custom 1100
              If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
              :rock:

Comment

i typically get 225-250 miles out of a tank toolin around town gwoing to work and stuff, about 16-17 mpg, on trips on the highway even pulling a constant 80mph, i can squeek 28-30 mpg. not too shabby and definetly a lot more fun than a civic.
                \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

I get 20-25 on the street and about 30 or more on teh highway. I filled up to a half a tank four days ago and even after cruisin the strip friday and saturday, drivin down the highway to pick up someon ;) and back and forth and to school.... My needle hasnt moved... and I dont even have a cat! lol it sometim....most of the.... ok all of the time smells like gas near my exhaust tips.. lol [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] but i love it. (no inspections [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] ) But yea my cat went bad and i had horrible gas mileage until i had it replaced by a straight pipe. If you dont have inspections in your state, I would suggest straight pipe. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                  1996 CamaroRS <br />15.5 @ 86<br />Sold<br /><br />2000 Z28 Convertible 3700lbs<br />Lid, Cutout, yank 3600 Stall, built trans, snall cam, NX Wet kit.<br />11.3 @ 118<br />Best 60\' is 1.58<br />497 RWHP 475 RWTQ

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X