flowmaster exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flowmaster exhaust

Hello everyone. My question concerns that of the flowmaster exhaust for the 3.8 camaros. You could probably tell that by the subject title. Anyway, I have looked at the exhaust on flowmasters website and could not find any for a 3.8. They were all for the 5.7L. I have seen other peoples mods that have the 80 series flowmaster and I was wondering if that would work on my 96 RS with the 3.8 or if I need a different series. Thank you for any suggestions. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    1996 Camaro RS<br />T-tops<br />No mods as a yet, but looking at slp cold air induction within the next few months then flowmasters after that. Sorry no pics availalbe yet either.

Yep.
    <b>Black 1996 3.8L Firebird A4</b><br />--------------------------<br />Custom CAI, Flowmaster Dual Exhaust, 160 Deg Thermo, BMR ShockTower Brace<br />JVC mp3 HU, two 12\" Infinity Kappa Perfects, Infinity 6.5\" components, JBL 600.1 & 80.4 amps <br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/479229363CPbPiz\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a>

Comment

Just get the 80 Series with a 2.5" inlet and dual 2.5" outlet and you're set.

Comment

Here's the one I would get if I was doing it over again. http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...07&prmenbr=361

Scroll down and look for 17143. It's for a 1993-95 LT1. It has a 3" mandrel bent I pipe and S pipe. Then you can just saw off the end of the stock cat and you have a 3" in, 3" out high flow cat or ditch the cat and it will sound like mine, well close maybe. Since you have the RS then you don't have to worry about the loss of low end power since you either have 3.42 gears or a 5 speed.

Actually, the S pipe might need to be a custom piece to fit, does anybody know if the LT1 cat is in the same place as the V6?

[ December 04, 2002: Message edited by: Ttop34 ]</p>
        1997 Nassau Blue Vette<br />1989 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (lifted with 31\" tires)<br />2000 V6 Camaro, loud, cammed 210rwhp *SOLD*

Comment

i'm pretty sure the cat's not in the same place, but i know of a guy that did his setup how ttop34 is decribing it, so i know it's possible. also you might want to consider the 40 series, it is a harder setup, but it's a bit more unique. anyway you go with a flowmaster, you can't go wrong.
          White \'97 Firebird V6<br />t-tops<br />80 series Flowmaster Exhaust<br />SLP CAI<br />180* stat<br />tinted side and back windows<br />3\" echo pipes/chrome tips<br />headlight conversion kit<br />fog lamps<br />smoke rear and turning lamp covers

Comment

i have whats in my sig. its the 93-95 one. because thats when they had 1 cat. like our cars. the shop said it took some slight custom work, but its on there and working like a charm. sounds good.
            \'96 <b>Quasar Blue</b> Firebird A4<br /><a href=\"http://jamiethekiller@comcast.net\" target=\"_blank\"><i>jamiethekiller@comcast.net</i></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.woodlandrock.com\" target=\"_blank\">my band: woodland</a>

Comment

The 80 series sounds AWFUL!!! No joke. REALLY REALLY BAD!! I am taking mine off the first chance I get after the snow goes away! Get a 50 or 40 series if you want a good loud tone. The 80 series sounds like rice rice baby. The stock setup is better. Ask your exhaust guy to let you listen to different mufflers when you go in. Mine did that for me last time, but my fiancee got the Slowmaster put on my Firebird for a Christmas present and I wasn't there to hear it. GOOD LUCK!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by nitrox28:
                The 80 series sounds AWFUL!!! No joke. REALLY REALLY BAD!! <hr></blockquote>

ok every post I've read from you basically says that. Enough already...jeez. Chill with it :cool: Oh and nitrox since you weren't AT THE SHOP when it was installed, are you SURE you have 80 series? Everyone I've talked to and the 2 people I've heard with 40 SERIES said it sounded like absolute SH*T! I happen to agree.

BTW, exhaust is all about personal preference. I'll let you decide for yourself as to what you want.

For slow connection I'll refer you here
                http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=25&t=002391

For high speed go here
                http://www.josephnicklo.com/files/anthony/flow2.avi

As for your original question with the cat. Our stock cat's outlet is 2.25" so either find an I-pipe that has a 2.25" inlet on one end, or have the exhaust shop do what they did for me. They basically opened up the outlet on the cat to 3" to accomodate my piping. It's a downsizing pattern basically. 3" outlet for cat, 2.75" I-pipe, 2.5" muffler inlet out of 2.5" tips. Done. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ December 05, 2002: Message edited by: 99Camaro99 ]</p>

Comment

I've seen the vid, and it sounds like crap.

Comment

nitro what is your exhaust set up and how long have you had the flows? The tone changes a little after a you put a miles on it.
                    <b>Black 1996 3.8L Firebird A4</b><br />--------------------------<br />Custom CAI, Flowmaster Dual Exhaust, 160 Deg Thermo, BMR ShockTower Brace<br />JVC mp3 HU, two 12\" Infinity Kappa Perfects, Infinity 6.5\" components, JBL 600.1 & 80.4 amps <br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/479229363CPbPiz\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a>

Comment

I've seen the vid, and it sounds like crap.<hr></blockquote>

not any crappier than any other 3.8! lol
                      [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

But exhaust is just like women. Everyone has their own personal preference. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Comment

REALLY new. I have a 6 cyl Grand Cherokee with no cat and a 40 series and it sounds soooo sweet. Maybe it is just something with the 3.8, but I have yet to hear ANYTHING that comes close to my Jeep and thats what I want. I guess I will just do loudmouth setup after I get my headers put on next month and see how that sounds.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Akuma:
                        nitro what is your exhaust set up and how long have you had the flows? The tone changes a little after a you put a miles on it.<hr></blockquote>

Comment

REALLY new. I have a 6 cyl Grand Cherokee with no cat and a 40 series and it sounds soooo sweet. Maybe it is just something with the 3.8, but I have yet to hear ANYTHING that comes close to my Jeep and thats what I want. I guess I will just do loudmouth setup after I get my headers put on next month and see how that sounds.

<hr></blockquote>

Well you're jeep motor is a different motor. Even if motors have the same number of cylinders and/or displacement, they will always sound different. Perfect example is the Camaro/Mustang. Look at the V6s and how different we both sound yet they are both 3.8L V6s. For OUR 3.8, the Flow 40 series sound gawd-awful! [img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]

Comment

plus it looks like you have no changes to the I-pipe. that also changes how the sound comes out. but as others will say. the firebird/camaro 3.8 just doesn't sound that awesome.
                            \'96 <b>Quasar Blue</b> Firebird A4<br /><a href=\"http://jamiethekiller@comcast.net\" target=\"_blank\"><i>jamiethekiller@comcast.net</i></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.woodlandrock.com\" target=\"_blank\">my band: woodland</a>

Comment

nitrox: ur jeep has no cat. my bird would sound much different if i took mine off, but i can't cause of emmisions [img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]
                              a normal 80 series should not sound "ricy", or maybe u just got some f'd up soundin ricers in ur area. aka: saturn with a giant wing and $20 autozone muffler (unfortunately i've seen it to many times :D )
                              anyway, my expirence is that if your looking solely for the best sound from a flow for a 3.8, than 80 series is the way to go. but, like i said before, if you go with the flow you can't go wrong.

also, if you plan to do a fair amount of mods, then a 3" single piece I pipe wouldn't hurt

[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: Dan Clark ]</p>
                              White \'97 Firebird V6<br />t-tops<br />80 series Flowmaster Exhaust<br />SLP CAI<br />180* stat<br />tinted side and back windows<br />3\" echo pipes/chrome tips<br />headlight conversion kit<br />fog lamps<br />smoke rear and turning lamp covers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X