Purchased Flowmaster 80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchased Flowmaster 80

I just bought a flowmaster 80 Series muffler. Paid $100.00 for it. Is that a good price? I purchased it with 2.5 fitting is that correct. Whats your opinion? Furthermore does this mod increase hp? What extra mods concerning exhaust would increase performance? Thanx in advance for any input. ;)

you will prolly not see any hp gains with just a flowmaster, but your car will sound better. an intake, cold air induction, larger intermediate pipe, headers, port and polished heads will all make a nice addition to your flows. :D
    was that $100 installed? i would say thats pretty darn good.
    6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Comment

Not installed! Just the purchase of the muffler.
      the work; i'll perform myself with a friend.

Comment

it wont be enough of a gain to be noticable, but every little bit helps. open up the intake and the I-pipe!

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
        Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

before you install the muffler, buy a take off Z28 pipe or a larger I-pipe. It will make the system sound better and will yield better performance.

Comment

that's a bit much for just the muffler isn't it? aren't they usually ~$80?
            <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/briansr\" target=\"_blank\">97 White Pontiac Firebird 3.8 A4</a><br />Mods- 2.75\" exhaust, Dynomax muffler, magnaflow cat, SLP CAI, Hypertech 160* thermo, Fan switch<br />Suspension-Kumho Ecsta 712\'s, 32mm/19mm sway bars<br /><br />Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don\'t fail us now. <br />-Elwood Blues

Comment

I recently installed a Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow with a single 2.25" inlet and outlet. It is part #942443. I had a FLO-PRO :rolleyes: dual crossflow muffler on before. It had packing like a Dynomax, but wore out after a year and a half. I noticed that my hp increased when I installed the Flowmaster as well as smoother acceleration with no hesitation. For the price of a I pipe and other piping, a single outlet muffler is alot cheaper for hp. A dual exit crossflow muffler might flow well and increase hp if the pipes are enlarged from the cat back. But with larger pipes comes reduced back pressure and lower bottom end torque. A single exit muffler retains factory 2.25" tubing for proper back pressure and increases hp. I had a problem with hesitation before and couldn't figure it out. A single outlet muffler gives you more hp increase than a crossflow style. Mine sounded nice at first, deep and throaty, but hollow because the V6 lacks the flow to make it sing. Ricey above 3500 rpm so I had a $30 bullet installed where my offroad pipe was and it eliminated all rice all the way to redline. Unfortunately it also killed that signature Flowmaster tone :( . Now it's just mellow and smooth. Delta Flows are alot quiter inside and flow really well. I also have a steep driveway and go tired of my tips scraping the curb every time I left. Now just a single hide away tip, nice and clean. If you want looks, go dual, for hp single outlet is only way to go [img]smile.gif[/img] . If all you want is looks and sound then stick with the 80 series [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

[ November 19, 2002: Message edited by: CHRISB ]</p>
              Moroso CAI<br />Flowmaster 40 Delta

Comment

it doesn't matter if its single or duel its going to add about the same amount of hp. To really get the most hp out of your muffler you have to do mods that help out your exhaust and intake.
                1999 Firebird Black<br />A4 3.08 gears<br />Mods: Carbon Fiber Whisper Lid, Raised Air Box, K&N Air Filter, Direct Hits Ignition, Flowmaster American Thunder 3\", 160 Degree Hypertech Thermostat, SLP Fan Switch, 3\" High Flow Cat<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=273903\" target=\"_blank\">My car on Cardomain</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TheBlackSwordsMan:
                  it doesn't matter if its single or duel its going to add about the same amount of hp. To really get the most hp out of your muffler you have to do mods that help out your exhaust and intake.<hr></blockquote>

I'm just pointing out that the cost of a single outlet muffler is alot less than a dual exit. Tips alone usually cost another $50-$100. I am happy with a inexpensive, well performing single outlet system [img]smile.gif[/img] .

I actually read somewhere once that the single outlet Flowmaster cat back system for the V8's produces more hp than the dual outlet. Crossflow mufflers just don't flow as well as we'd like :( .

Comment

anyone with the 80 series have backfiring noises when down shifting and as the rpms go down with the 6 cylinders.. mine makes that sound every time, while it sounds good below 3000 rpms.. anything higher gets kinda whiny..
                    1995 Cherry Red Camaro<br />Flowmaster 80 Series with K/N Airfilter, Intake<p>\"The problem with most of us is, that we would rather be ruined by praise, than saved by criticism\"<p>Norman Vincent Peale

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BigDave520:
                      anyone with the 80 series have backfiring noises when down shifting and as the rpms go down with the 6 cylinders.. mine makes that sound every time, while it sounds good below 3000 rpms.. anything higher gets kinda whiny..<hr></blockquote>

Get a bullet muffler slightly larger than the pipes. I had a straight pipe where my cat used to be. So it was an ideal place for the bullet. It was a $30 part plus $10 installation. It cuts out almost all of the V6 rice and really makes the muffler sound better. Trust me on this one ;) .

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BigDave520:
                        anyone with the 80 series have backfiring noises when down shifting and as the rpms go down with the 6 cylinders.. mine makes that sound every time, while it sounds good below 3000 rpms.. anything higher gets kinda whiny..<hr></blockquote>

you're driving a 3.4L I'm assuming and that would be why. The muffler sounds good under load throughout the entire RPM band but when you back off the throttle abruptly in the upper areas it can sound a tad nasty...but hey...all the V6s do. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X