Inuduction Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inuduction Questions.

I was looking at the induction of the corvette and realised it went over the radiator and into the engine. Can anything like this be done on my 97 3.8 RS? If so, will it give me any gains?

Also is it possible for me to switch to a lid or should I just get SLP or something?

Can Homemade CAI atleast hold it's own to SLP or is SLP just far better?
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

no to over the radiator. im sure they make a lid for your car, if not, get the CAI. yes, the homemade if done right, will hold up just as good
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

i did a home made and it runs pretty nice, very noticable. I went to any local hardware store and got a 4 inch to 3 inch rubber boot for the TB, hose clamped the 4 inch side on the TB, then took a 90 degree 3 inch PVC and put it onto the rubber boot. had a piece of 3 inch PVC cut 14 inches long, mated it to the 90 degree angle and it is pointing to where the stock air box was, then i put on a K and N filter at the end, very noticable whoosh and performance gain. Works like a champ and filter aside it cost about 12 bucks. I spray painted mine red to match my car and it looks pretty damn nice.
      Pain Heals, Chicks dig Scars, and Glory is forever.<br />3 inch custom CAI, 8.8 Accel Spiro Fero wires, Bosch platinums, Flowmaster 80 series catback

Comment

ill post a picture tommorrow if you want me too, the most expensive part was the rubber boot, it was like 6 dollars, the PVC was 97 cents a foot, the 90 degree was i think 3 dollars.
        Pain Heals, Chicks dig Scars, and Glory is forever.<br />3 inch custom CAI, 8.8 Accel Spiro Fero wires, Bosch platinums, Flowmaster 80 series catback

Comment

post a pic plz
          Ummad!<br />2k pewter maro M5. 160 thermo, WhisperLid w/K&N Filter, Jet PCM Stage 2, Free Ram Air, Air Silencer Delete (purchased already and) waiting to install manual fan switch, air/fuel ratio guage.

Comment

Please do post pics I wanna know how to make one for my 94 firebird. Im really short on money
            -Its time to prove to your friends your worth a damn.<br /> -Sometimes that means dying.<br /> -Sometimes that means killing a whole lotta people.

Comment

I used a a v8 K&N FIPK, had an exhaust shop mandrel bend me some 3" pipe. The kit I bought had a 45* boot that I used. Looks good to me, I just need to get it chromed. I had them Tig weld it so I could sand it down easier.
              Ill post pics later.
              Shane
              00 Pewter Y87 Camaro-SS Hood/Chrome rims, Black Halos, Clear corners, Pacesetters, V8 K&N FIPK, 3\" B&B TriFlow, HPP3, MSD Coils, Taylor wires, Transgo stage II, Edge 3000 Stall, 180* thermo, SLP Bowtie Grill<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/468763/1/\" target=\"_blank\">Carro</a>

Comment

sorry havent put the pic up yet, ill do it when i get home from work, im at work now. I can give you a list of material right now though if you want.
                1. 14 inch 3" pvc pipe
                2. 3" pvc 90 degree bend
                3. 4" - 3" rubber coupler with hose clamp on either end.
                4. I went to autozone and got a conical air filter for 11 dollars with a hard plastic collar that was 3"
                5. 3" rubber boot for connecting the filter to the pvc

take off intake and take out airbox completely.
                connect the 4" side of rubber boot to intake and hose clamp

slide pvc 90 degree into 3" side of the rubber intake and direct it towards drivers side

mate the straight pvc into the 90 and it should extend over behind the headlight on dirvers side

attach filter to pvc with the remaining rubber boot and clamp with hose clamps

there you go Custom CAI, for about 20 dollars

i put my AIT sensor in the rubber boot behind the filter, works like a champ.

Ill post some pics.

Comment

Please do post some pic's. I want to chrome mine.

So I can do this and get the same $200 performance SLP offers? NiCe!

Comment

yeah lets see pics soon
                    *1997 Camaro v6 3.8*<br />President of NorCal Sinister Six

Comment

Well I'm getting the parts you said. Where's the pics? oh btw, are there any better things I can use besides PVC? I just don't want to open my hood to someone and he calls a plumber... no offense...

Comment

[img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] my thoughts exactly!
                        2000 3.8L Firebird, Silver Metallic<br /><br />\"Yes, London. You know, fish, chips, cup o\' tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary f***in\' Poppins, London!!\"

Comment

YES! there is something better than pvc.... METAL. lol .. My intake consists of rubber elbows from airflowonline.com and aluminum and galvanized steel heat ducting from a hardware store. then i have it connected to a ricer cone filter... the thing sounds like I have a turbo under my hood. whenever i stomp on the gas i hear a whoosing sound...lol ... Best money i ever spent.
                          1996 Pontiac Firebird<br />Flowmaster Exhaust, Custom Cold Air Intake, 3.42 gears with LSD

Comment

i dont know if metal or pvc is better. You need to look at which one disapates heat better. Which one retains heat. My CAI is cold to the touch after driving, where as a metal one would be warm from retaining engine heat that it transfers to the air going through it. im by no means an expert. just my 2 cents. I painted mine and it looks nothing like pvc. looks pretty good.

Comment

Aluminum could probably disapate heat just aswell couldn't it? Where can I find some 14" Aluminum?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X