RS Exhaust Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS Exhaust Q's

I got a Camaro RS, and I personally LOVE the exhaust tone of the RS. What I wanted to know was how much better was it than stock exhaust? Is it a keeper or not? I was thinking if it was better than stock, to just go on and get CAI and headers and leave the exhaust alone, or perhaps just exstend it so it can clearly be seen? If you recommend it being replaced, is there any free'er flowing exhaust that carries the same tone?

I was going for CAI first.
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

same tone....no. the rs exhaust isnt different that any other camaro. if you have the dual turn downs, thats all you have. nothing different then lets say my old single turn down muffler. the y87 package gives you the duals
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG:
      same tone....no. the rs exhaust isnt different that any other camaro. if you have the dual turn downs, thats all you have. nothing different then lets say my old single turn down muffler. the y87 package gives you the duals
      So it still puts out about the same power? is there ANY gain whatsoever due to it being duals?

Comment

Duals and single outlet muffler on V6's are about the same output, there is no meaningful difference.
        1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

Comment

I'm definetely changing the exhaust then, what is it that gives the RS it's sound? why doesn't it sound like a regular V6? What are True Duals like on our cars?

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro:
            I'm definetely changing the exhaust then, what is it that gives the RS it's sound? why doesn't it sound like a regular V6? What are True Duals like on our cars?
            your car must be unique, cause every rs and base model have sounded exactly alike to me. and a buddy of mine put true duals on his camaro and it sounded terrible, but he got really good gains, i mean-ricy at like ~2300 rpm. if you wanna go that route, you are gonna have to get a local shop to do it for you, and get headers with it, and be prepared for it to sound like balls
            2000 Navy Blue T-top Camaro A4<br />TSP Rumbler <br />Carsound Hi-flo Cat<br />!MAF screen<br />Whisper lid<br />HPP3

Comment

true duals I tried and didnt like - I promise you'd like the SLP SS systems if you like the RS exhaust tone and want more power without going deaf.
              2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
              Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

wtf is the RS exhaust tone. I have an RS. Its the same muffler as any other v6 camaro. 96 and 97 RS's have a body kit, thats the only addition over the base model other than tires i beleive.
                -Kevin<br /><a href=\"http://heinz.no-ip.com/Car%20Pics/IM000117.JPG\" target=\"_blank\"><b>\'96 White Camaro RS M5</b></a> <br />GTP Shortblock - T3/T4 -6psi Intercooled<br />Open Downpipe

Comment

Need4Camaro do you have the y87 performance package? Check the inside of your door for the rpo codes and if you have the y87, you'll have the "performance" exhaust, I believe. I think it's rated at 5 more hp. I'd say leave it if you like it, becuase it would be dumb to pay money for an aftermarket exhaust, and then run the risk of not liking the sound.

I have a 97 Camaro as well and just installed the SLP cold-air induction kit. You'll see noticeable gains with it and it even deepens the exhaust note a touch. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by camaroincal:
                    Need4Camaro do you have the y87 performance package? Check the inside of your door for the rpo codes and if you have the y87, you'll have the "performance" exhaust, I believe. I think it's rated at 5 more hp. I'd say leave it if you like it, becuase it would be dumb to pay money for an aftermarket exhaust, and then run the risk of not liking the sound.

I have a 97 Camaro as well and just installed the SLP cold-air induction kit. You'll see noticeable gains with it and it even deepens the exhaust note a touch. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                    Yeah I do have Y87. I also have 3.42 gears, Goodyear tires, and a Z28 Steering rack I believe. TRUST ME there IS a difference between the way my car performs in handling, power, and sound in comparison to a normal V6. How do I know? Because I have a 1998 Camaro V6 parked right beside it in my driveway and the difference in accelleration and sound is unreal. My car just feels more alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro:
                      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by camaroincal:

Yeah I do have Y87. I also have 3.42 gears, Goodyear tires, and a Z28 Steering rack I believe. TRUST ME there IS a difference between the way my car performs in handling, power, and sound in comparison to a normal V6. How do I know? Because I have a 1998 Camaro V6 parked right beside it in my driveway and the difference in accelleration and sound is unreal. My car just feels more alive. </font>[/QUOTE]So are you gonna get the SLP cold air induction? That would be a very nice addition to your car in my opinion, and will make your exhaust sound that much better... ;)

Comment

I have never heard anyone so ecstatic about stock exhaust. I too have an RS which has a dynomax exhaust and a high flow cat on it. It sounds more "alive" than stock due to the increase of size and less restrictions. I will agree that stock sounds ok, stock exhaust with a cold air sounds ok too, but the best sound is whith a muffler or catback, and a cold air intake. If you like it this much now, you will LOVE it when you open the intake and exhaust up. Just don't buy any flowmaster **** and you will be fine.
                        97 Camaro RS<br /><br />\"Just a V6 huh?, let\'s go find out how slow it is\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X