Are there two different types of SS hoods and/or airboxes? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there two different types of SS hoods and/or airboxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there two different types of SS hoods and/or airboxes?

I have a v6 camaro, and i'm looking to put a hood like the SS hood on there. I also want it to be functional. Now, i have checked many auto part websites, and there seems to be a couple different types. I could be wrong, but it seems like there is one that works with the factory airbox, and one that needs an aftermarket airbox to work. Thunderracing.com is selling a hood that they claim works with the current airbox, and some other sites say you need the aftermarket one. Is the aftermarket airbox any different from the one thats already on there? I dont want to buy an aftermarket airbox for $300 if i already have an airbox that will work fine.

The ones that work with the current airbox claim to raise HP 10-15, while the one that needs a seperate airbox says it can raise HP 25-30. I guess I'd like to hear what knowledge any of you have on the subject. Thanks!
    1998 Sport Metallic Gold Camaro<br />Current Mods<br />AIWA CD/MP3 player<br />Flowmaster exhaust<br />Dual 3.5\" chrome exhaust tips<br />Removed Front Grill<br />Functional RAM AIR, ss-style hood<br />Exhaust Cutout<p>Future Mods:<br />Leather Seats<br />Improved audio system<br />Different wheels<br />Indiglo gauges<p><a href=\"http://hometown.aol.com/saturn2187/\" target=\"_blank\">http://hometown.aol.com/saturn2187/</a>

Yes there are different air boxes with the different hoods. I know rksport has there own hood and airbox. Suncoast creations has there own hood and airbox. There is the stock SS hood and airbox (SLP). I purchased mine from custom fiberglass before they went out of business over the summer. I used the Stock SS box but modified it to work with thier hood because it was 3" taller than the stock hood intake. So your possabilities are almost endless. I do however suggest the ram air hood though Good move. take care [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    James Stephens<br />Computer Network Manager<br /><br />Wings West GFX, RK Sport Spoiler, SS Custom Fiberglass Hood, Raven exhaust, Catz Headlight conversion, eibach pro kit, etc.<a href=\"http://www.angelfire.com/hi2/pimpjames\" target=\"_blank\">My car and my website :)</a> MY Car Domain Site &#0124;&#0124;

Comment

I know that SLP sells two different style hoods. One is the SS hood which uses the stock air box. The other is called the "Ultra Z" hood and is completely different in appearance as it has a wide scoop at the very front of the hood. This one {Ultra Z} requires the different airbox if you want the "ram air" effect. IMO the SS hood looks better but the Ultra Z is probably more efficient.
      \'01 Camaro M5 1SA \"Lightweight\" hardtop, Bright Red, Ebony cloth, FRA, Whisper Lid, B&B cat-back, Torsen 3.73 LSD, HPPIII (93 octane setting)<p>\'00 Camaro SS M6 T-Top, all GM and most SLP opts., Bright Red, Ebony leather, 4.10s, SLP long tubes, Loudmouth, CNC Stage II H/C, etc.

Comment

I also agree with camarohbill. The ultra z will more than likely give better results do to the aerodynamics of the car. I also know that if you plan on installing NOS it looks sweet as heel when you purge it throught the stock looking SS hood [img]smile.gif[/img]
        James Stephens<br />Computer Network Manager<br /><br />Wings West GFX, RK Sport Spoiler, SS Custom Fiberglass Hood, Raven exhaust, Catz Headlight conversion, eibach pro kit, etc.<a href=\"http://www.angelfire.com/hi2/pimpjames\" target=\"_blank\">My car and my website :)</a> MY Car Domain Site &#0124;&#0124;

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X