Spintech questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spintech questions

Should I get the 2.5" inlet/2.5" dual outlet, or the 3" inlet/2.5" dual outlet muffler? I'm going to be adding a 3" I pipe, but I'm keeping my stock cat, and I might even keep the stock 2.25" pipe that goes over the axle. I don't want to lose too much back-pressure, so how much should I open up the exhaust? I'm mainly just looking to get rid of my rice rocket sound, and gain a few horses if possible. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    01 Firebird GT <p>3.42 gears, LSD, holley powershot, SLP CAI, whisper lid, 3\" I-pipe, and spintech muffler<p>best 1/8th run: 9.5872 @ 72.48mph with 2.160 60ft<br />best 1/4th run: 15.099 @ 89.15mph with 2.198 60ft<p>Venom VI member #21<p>See my car here:<br /><a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/southernoxblood/front.html\" target=\"_blank\">www.geocities.com/southernoxblood/front.html</a>

Well to get a few horses you will need to replace the stock 2.25 pipe and go with at least 2.5inch. I went with what is in my sig and they had to make a custom y-pipe. So go with 2.5 if you are worried about backpressure.
    1995 Camaro 3.4 v6. Dead<br />1995 Trans Am FIPK.

Comment

zlightning - how do you like your set up, where does one get a spintech catback?
      RedlineVSix

Comment

Do they make a cat-back for our cars? If I went with 3" all the way and left the stock cat, would it hurt my low-end too much? Would the top-end make up for it? My exhaust tone is sooo embarrassing right now... I'm embarrassed to rev at honda civics at the track. Do you like your tone zlightning?
        01 Firebird GT <p>3.42 gears, LSD, holley powershot, SLP CAI, whisper lid, 3\" I-pipe, and spintech muffler<p>best 1/8th run: 9.5872 @ 72.48mph with 2.160 60ft<br />best 1/4th run: 15.099 @ 89.15mph with 2.198 60ft<p>Venom VI member #21<p>See my car here:<br /><a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/southernoxblood/front.html\" target=\"_blank\">www.geocities.com/southernoxblood/front.html</a>

Comment

Well I e-mailed spintech a while ago and they said they would have a catback for our cars like mid spring or early summer I think. I like my setup. Never gets ricey. The exhaust gets pretty loud at wot. You just have to order the muffler from spintech and then have it installed. OXBLD I highly dought you would lose your low end I didn't. I have plans for an LT1 so I went with what is in my sig just so my exhaust is ready for it. I am not sure what the stock size on the outlet of the cat is. I would just get a brand new cat from the exhaust shop. If you don't have plans for an eight you might as well go with the 2.5 becaue I am having problems with weld breaks on my custom y-pipe. Anymore questions just ask.

[ March 09, 2002: Message edited by: zlightning ]</p>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by oxbld:
            ...I'm going to be adding a 3" I pipe...and I might even keep the stock 2.25" pipe that goes over the axle.<hr></blockquote>

FYI: The pipe that goes over the axle IS the I-pipe.
            -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

Oh... I see. Is the I pipe is the whole pipe from the cat to the muffler? So, if I buy the I pipe (p/n WLK-54064 $40.99 Summit Racing), and the muffler and tips, I'll be set? Thanks for the info everyone!

Comment

Pretty much, yeah.

Comment

Well with the spintech I am not sure if you are going to have to weld it to the muffler or not. I forgot all about the clamps. So if my fuel pump ever goes bad it is gonna cost me a hell of a lot because they are gonna haveto take off my exhaust system.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by oxbld:
                    Oh... I see. Is the I pipe is the whole pipe from the cat to the muffler? So, if I buy the I pipe (p/n WLK-54064 $40.99 Summit Racing), and the muffler and tips, I'll be set? Thanks for the info everyone!<hr></blockquote>

Not quite. That specific I pipe comes in 2 pieces. 53061 and the part # you already have.
                    <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

Thanks again! I've ordered both pieces of the I pipe (which caused my original confusion as to what the I pipe was), but I am still waiting to hear from Spintech. I'll let everyone know how it turns out once I receive everything and it is all welded/clamped/bolted up. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The piece that goes over the axle is called the over the axle pipe. The piece that goes into that piece is the i pipe.

Comment

how exactly do i order from spintech? do they have a website?
                          RedlineVSix

Comment

www.spintechmufflers.com then call their 1-800 #

you want the sportsman split case aight.

[ March 13, 2002: Message edited by: zlightning ]</p>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bluecmaro96:
                              The piece that goes over the axle is called the over the axle pipe.<hr></blockquote>

By who? (Other than people who are making up names for stuff as they go along...)

Any exhaust guy who I've ever talked to (and I've talked to several around here) call it either an intermediate- or mid-pipe.

Basically, the section of piping going from the cat to the muffler is collectively the "I-pipe."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X