About changing exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About changing exhaust

I've never really worked with car exhaust before, what kind of work is involved in changing exhaust? Could you just buy say, an 80 Series Flowmaster, and weld it right on where your stock muffler used to be, or do you have to change the pipes and such? I have about 200 dollars to spend and I really want to get some decent exhaust, any suggestions as to what I could do?
    <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/maniacls1\" target=\"_blank\"><b>2001 Firehawk #155 of 504 -M6</b></a><br />437 RWHP / 404 RWTQ -Dynojet (heads/cam)<br />12.34 @114 mph 1.7 60\' (bolt-ons only)<br />12.47 @116 mph 2.0 60\' (street tires, heads/cam)

You can get a flowmaster or dynomax with tailpipes for about 200 installed. They can make your tailpipes fit, but I recommend getting at least 2.5" tailpipes.
    <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

Don't buy a muffler, just get the stock one removed and have a straight pipe or y-pipe installed going to your tip(s). Heard it on a v8 and it isn't too loud but on our cars may make it sound ricey above 4500 rpm.
      2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

Thanks for the help, I have a few more specific questions now. The pipes that are allready there are 2in correct? On the Flowmaster 80 series what size are the openings on the muffler? I plan on getting the single in dual out muffler with 2.5in coming out and leaving the stock pipe going in. Will this work or would it be better for me to take it to a shop and let them put 2.5in in and out? Thanks again for your advice it's much appretiated.

[ March 13, 2002: Message edited by: V6Maniac ]</p>
        <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/maniacls1\" target=\"_blank\"><b>2001 Firehawk #155 of 504 -M6</b></a><br />437 RWHP / 404 RWTQ -Dynojet (heads/cam)<br />12.34 @114 mph 1.7 60\' (bolt-ons only)<br />12.47 @116 mph 2.0 60\' (street tires, heads/cam)

Comment

I strongly suggest getting the 80 Series Flowmaster. It's going to be the closest you can get to a V-8 sound. Not exactly like V8, that will never happen, but it will be close. I've had mine for over a year and it sounds great on my 3.4 V-6. I always get compliments on it. I know I'll get an argument from this, but I wouldn't suggest Dynomax. I know someone that has one and it doesn't sound as good as a burnt in Flowmaster. Flowmaster is one of the top brands. Flowmaster will give you more HP and torque. It's louder and has more rumble ONCE YOU BURN IT IN. You must give it time. Then later you can get bigger pipes and it will get even better. I only paid about $130 and that was the total for the muffler, labor, and chrome tips. A good place to have it done is Meineke, they do a great job.
          2003 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe, Daytona Blue, Frost leather interior, navigation, 18 inch wheels, M6, fully loaded, intake, crank pulley.<br /><br />Previous cars:<br />1991 Mustang (347)<br />2002 RS Camaro<br />1985 IROC-Z (305)<br />1994 Camaro convertible V6

Comment

I strongly suggest you do not run straight pipes or cutout your muffler and CAT. If you cut out the cat remember you would spend another $100 on that sensor simulator because if it doesn't detect the CAT there or isn't similating it, your going to be at a loss of hp. So your going to want your cat there. Plus your car probably wouldn't pass inspection too often. As for the flowmaster, I have a dynomax and I'm not going to say get one just because I have it. I know I'm happy with my dynomax and it was really cheap in price $45.00 for the muffler. plus I got done what you wanted to get done all for just $100 bucks. I never really compared a flowmater to a dynomax in person but I heard they do sound ricy until you burn them in for a while. I don't really think there is that much hp/tq over the dynomax if any at all. I never really seen a hp/tq comparison between the 2 but if you know anything about it please show me, that would be interesting. And if your looking for sound go for 3" piping, i know you hear all that backpressure bull but **** the backpressure. LOL, also remember you have highflow Cats and an exhaust cutout which is sort of like a ypipe that connects to your exhaust and has a little cap you can remove to "cutout" your cat and/or muffler. If I had $200 to spend on an exhaust system. I'd buy a Dynomax $45, buy a catco high flow cat $50, thats like $100 right there, probably get a cutout for like $20 and with the $80 left would be the charges for all the 3" piping, tips, and installation. I got my exhaust installed for $30. Just look for a custom muffler shop, don't go to midas or anything they're dick heads. I'd do catback and everything now, it'd be easier in the long run.

Ted

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Red94Camaro:
              ...it doesn't sound as good as a burnt in Flowmaster. Flowmaster is one of the top brands. Flowmaster will give you more HP and torque. It's louder and has more rumble ONCE YOU BURN IT IN.<hr></blockquote>

You need to get off your trip about burning in your Flowmaster. Burn in periods are true for ALL mufflers; they will ALL get better as they burn in.

Muffler burn in isn't magical and doesn't require you to do the hokey-pokey or anything to make it happen. After about 3 months or so of regular (daily) driving with it, it should be pretty much burnt in. If it sounds like azz after that, well then guess what that's what it sounds like.

How can you claim that Flowmaster will provide more power? Do you dyno pulls or something to evidence that? Because most people will tell you that you'll get slightly more power from the Dynomax. (In an application such as this, all mufflers will really give almost the same power increase..) Or perhaps you've heard people who call them "Slowmasters."

I'm not trying to advocate one over the other; as far as I'm concerned from what I've heard again and again, Flowmaster 80 Series and Dynomax SuperTurbo are the two best (read: most-liked) mufflers for our cars. After a certain point it is a matter of the combination of personal taste and other modifications to the car which alter the sound.
              -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

LOL. I used to own one for a year(Yea it Burned in), so I know what's up. He keeps preaching the same crap OVER AND OVER again about his flowmaster. And he's the ONLY one that does all of this hatin on dynomax. He doesn't trash talk about any other muffler BUT THE DYNOMAX. 94 Camaro, give it a rest...DAYUM....

[ March 14, 2002: Message edited by: shortdog273 ]</p>
                <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

You guys cry about your Dynomax too much. I'm just making suggestions for this guy and you're not helping at all, you just want to argue with me. I've compared to Dynomax, side by side with another Camaro. He switched over. You might not believe me but I don't care. Now I'm responding to some other posts in there. Yes you get a HP and torque gain with Flowmaster. You won't have a problem with the sensor, I know I never did. And the total price at Meineke was $130, thats pretty good. I'm getting some bigger tail pipes, 4 inches diameter and 22 inches long. That will make it deeper and louder. You should do the same, get bigger pipes and it will make a big difference.
                  2003 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe, Daytona Blue, Frost leather interior, navigation, 18 inch wheels, M6, fully loaded, intake, crank pulley.<br /><br />Previous cars:<br />1991 Mustang (347)<br />2002 RS Camaro<br />1985 IROC-Z (305)<br />1994 Camaro convertible V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X