What size intake pipes work more efficently? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size intake pipes work more efficently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size intake pipes work more efficently?

OK, first off I wasn't too sure where this topic should go so if it must be moved, so be it ;)

I am going to be making the "home depot special" intake for my car. I was going to use some PCV piping for the tubing. I was telling my plans to a corvette guy last night and I was telling him that I was planning on using 3" piping. Then he started telling me that he didn't think that the 3" pipe would be the best choice. He told me to go with 2". I was like WTF!? he "explained" to me that the 2" pipe would create more of a vacume for the air, and it would tavel faster to the intake. He said "do this, get a 1' long piece of 3" and 2" pipe, put one end on your mouth and start to suck air, when you do this put your hand on the other end of the tube and feel the suction the the 3" pipe creates. Now repeate the same process with the 2" pipe. Feel how the two 2" pipe sucks harder? that is what you want, it creates more of a vacume and the air travels faster to the intake." Now at this point I was still confused. I told him that the 2" is more of a restriction than the 3" was that is why it was "pulling harder" and that the 3" was able to get more air to the intake better than the 2" was. I wanted to use the 3" pipe because that is the "size" that my Throttle Boddy is. So I guess my question is this How much more air will the 3" flow than the 2"? can we prove to him mathmaticly that the 3" is better? sorry for the long post :D
    Thank you for any light that you can shed on this subject, and again if this topic is not in the right section I am sorry, I just didn't know where to put it. TIA for all your help! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ March 12, 2002: Message edited by: veesix ]</p>
    1996 Y87 Camaro, 175.0 rwhp, 211.6 rwtq.....1/4 15.500@88.54 &lt;----- Needs work!!<br />-CAI, Custom bent S-Pipe, LS1 I-Pipe, Flowmaster 80 series, !MAF, manual fan switch, relocated trunk pop switch, 180 degree t-stat, More to come!<br /> <a href=\"http://camaro.wbisolutions.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://camaro.wbisolutions.com</a> <p>WANTED!!! Naked and handcuffed!

You don't want vacuum.

At WOT, if you have LESS pressure in the intake, yes the air is moving faster but there is less AIR there to be sucked into the chambers.. the higher the density of the air (less vacuum), the more air will be sucked into the chamber.

Idealy, you could just run an open intake elbow and thats it.. your MAF would get pretty decent reading and there would be VERY little vacuum.

I find that the SLP CAI with the twin filter setup flows very well though so I never pull it off for races.. just make sure its clean.

Also, yea... I'll move this to General Tech.... while the discussion/theory part is very interesting, its still somewhat basic.
    Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

Go even bigger then 3". Shot for 4". I tryed using a 3 inch pipe and my top end said "see ya". My car ran rough and had no power. Once I put on a 4" pipe its was a 200% difference. 3" inches is a little small. Go bigger. Oh and Magus is right, you don't want vacuum. you want to get the air in and out as fast as you can. good luck. be sure to keep us posted.

Edit: Sounds like the guy you talked to knows a lot about sucking pipes :D BOO YEA [img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img]

[ March 12, 2002: Message edited by: bu-bye ]</p>
      White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

bu-bye post a pic ;)
        AIM: escalier deverre<br />\'02 Pearl Blue Metallic RSX-S (daily driver)<br />\'98 Black Firebird<br />98 V6 turbocharged to 02 LS1 swap<br />\'02 LS1/4L60E<br />LS6 Block, LS6 Intake Manifold, Thunder Racing 215/220 .600/.523/115 Cam, Titanium Retainers, Crane Double Valve Springs, 125 shot NX Wet Kit w/ NOS brand Purge, True Dual \"H\" Pipe w/ two chambers and dumps, 17x11(rear) and 17x9.5(front) Black Powdercoated ZR1 Replicas on 315 and 275 BFGoodrich Comp T/A\'s (Street)/ET Drags/Skinnies on Weldlites(Track), 3.42/LSD

Comment

Ya and what mods do you have?
          1996 Y87 Camaro, 175.0 rwhp, 211.6 rwtq.....1/4 15.500@88.54 &lt;----- Needs work!!<br />-CAI, Custom bent S-Pipe, LS1 I-Pipe, Flowmaster 80 series, !MAF, manual fan switch, relocated trunk pop switch, 180 degree t-stat, More to come!<br /> <a href=\"http://camaro.wbisolutions.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://camaro.wbisolutions.com</a> <p>WANTED!!! Naked and handcuffed!

Comment

This is what you do. Take off your stock air inlet then measure the t-body. Take those measurement to homedepot with you and find a piping that is bigg enough to fit. YOu don't want to much because then it wouldn't look right.
            1995 Camaro 3.4 v6. Dead<br />1995 Trans Am FIPK.

Comment

I tried that, The space between the TB and the radiator is to small for a standard 90 bend or PVC pipedoes anyone know of any kind of pipe that is 3" and is a short dia bend?

Comment

I found an old pic of my intake just before I polished everything up. I already gave back the dig camara to my brother so This is all I have. In the pic its not clamped on but you will get the idea. Is there anyone who could host a pic for me?
                White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by veesix:
                  Ya and what mods do you have?<hr></blockquote>

Not much. Heres a small list

*Fiberglass intake
                  *K&N air filter
                  *Flowmaster with 2.5" pipes from the cat to tip
                  *Free ramair mod (I took out my scoop when it was raining months ago and I have yet to put it back on.)
                  *New and better plugs and wires

Comment

I can host..email to jaraya@austin.rr.com
                    AIM: escalier deverre<br />\'02 Pearl Blue Metallic RSX-S (daily driver)<br />\'98 Black Firebird<br />98 V6 turbocharged to 02 LS1 swap<br />\'02 LS1/4L60E<br />LS6 Block, LS6 Intake Manifold, Thunder Racing 215/220 .600/.523/115 Cam, Titanium Retainers, Crane Double Valve Springs, 125 shot NX Wet Kit w/ NOS brand Purge, True Dual \"H\" Pipe w/ two chambers and dumps, 17x11(rear) and 17x9.5(front) Black Powdercoated ZR1 Replicas on 315 and 275 BFGoodrich Comp T/A\'s (Street)/ET Drags/Skinnies on Weldlites(Track), 3.42/LSD

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X