Exhaust makes popping noise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust makes popping noise.

I recently installed a Hooker Catback on my 95 3.4 and I notice that when I get to fairly high RPMs that there is a loud *POP* sound that the car will make.

Not like the sound of leaving your car in gear and drifting, but a totaly off tone *POP* from no where.

It isn't effecting any performance or anything but I look like a total idiot when I try to lay onto my throttle infront of my friends and I sound like I am making pop corn! Any help please?

~Taylor

[ March 17, 2002: Message edited by: Ethearl ]</p>
    You Samoans are all the same...you have no faith in the essential decency of the white mans\' culture.

Sounds like you got a case of the ricers, seek performance attention immediately for wider pipes on your car!

...seriously, backfiring is usually caused by built up air, getting bigger pipes might help.
    Kyle M<br />--------------<br /><a href=\"http://grdws6.netfirms.com\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Trans Am WS6</a> (silver, A4) - lid, cutout, stage 3 shift kit, 12 bolt, vig 3200, tranny cooler, bmr sfc/stb, torq thrust ii. <b>12.688 @ 106.47mph -=- 1.756 60\'</b>

Comment

our 6's always pop (atleast i think, mine does)
      my friend has a 99 4.3 v6 and his truck pops and it doesnt even have exhaust
      Camaro 95 3.4L M5<br />Flowmaster 80srs<br />Catco High Flo Cat<br />Slp CAI<br />Prime wheels

Comment

Mine popped before I put the catback on.

As for pipes. I think 95 3.4's came with stock 2.5" pipes. I recently upgraded to a 3" Hooker catback but from the cat up is still stock.

I don't think it is the pipes, I think it is the engine.

~Taylor
        You Samoans are all the same...you have no faith in the essential decency of the white mans\' culture.

Comment

Hey Ethearl how does that hooker sound on a v6? I have always wanted to get one because I think they look really nice. So how is the sound?

Comment

Sounds great (even with the low flow cat). Very raspy and tough from 1-2.5k and has a nice purr from 3.5 and up.

It's no eight, but it sounds nice.

(Now if I can just get rid of the damn popping!)

~Taylor

Comment

The popping is called back-pressure. There are two ways to relieve this problem;

1.) Weld in a cut-out right after your cat.

-- or --

2.) Weld in a bigger I-Pipe and get a high-flow cat.

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: TechCam97 ]</p>
              - Matt<p>Red 1993 Camaro Z28 M6<p>My <a href=\"http://brightred93z28.fbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Webpage</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X