My first upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first upgrade

Okay so I've searched and hunted around for quite a while now. I have gotten a huge amount of info from this place (Thanks greatly) but I still have yet to put anything on my car better than a shift knob.

After checking out the mod encyclopedia I decided that intake and exhaust was the best way to start out (hence all the questions). Okay so here is what I'm looking at getting.

http://www.lmperformance.com/5653/13.html
    http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...23&BIG=28023-1

I have a few last questions though. First, I'm assuming that a new cat would be a wise way to go. Can anyone here point me in the right direction for one? I was considering a catco but am unsure of the correct size. To keep expense down I'd really like it to be around a hundred or less, just so long as its better than stock. Secondly, I have no experience with the installation of headers, cats, and a catback. So I'm assuming its probably best to have a shop put them all on for me. How much can I expect for a reasonable installation price and length of time? I shouldn't have trouble putting in the intake so I'm not worried about that one. Finally, the performancepac states a gain of 150hp, I don't have a clue how much the headers will gain over stock though. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure to what my hp may end up around with the introduction of all these parts? Are these upgrades a wise way to start out?

Oh yeah and one of my most important questions is, how will this setup sound when compared to its almost sickenly silent stock counterpart?

Edit: I'd also like to mention that for those who don't know, this is for the 3.8 01 firebird. If Any of those parts will not work with my car please let me know, thanks.

[ May 28, 2005, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Wraith2097 ]
    01 V6 Firebird, Flowmaster catback, Navmate gps, B&M Ripper.

Well, before you can blow it out the back, you gotta suck it in the front.A basic K&N air filter for around $40 will increase intake by 35% and give you 3-4hp. An SLP Cold Air Intake costs around $126, you can put it on yourself in 2 hours, and get about 8hp. Gotta do intake before outtake, do the math. Am I right guys? Good luck.

Comment

The kit I linked to does include an intake. Here is a list of what it includes. I know that there are cheaper alternatives such as building one yourself, but I'm really not that mechanically enclined (Nor do I have the tools), and I feel better getting something designed specifically for that.

This Stage 1 PerformancePac contains the following items:

* High-Flow Air-Box Lid (21045)
      * Cold-Air Induction Package (21033)
      * High-Flow K&N Air Filter (25012)
      * F-Body Smooth Bellows (23065)
      * Modular Loud Mouth™ Exhaust System w/2.5" Dual/Dual Tips (31042)

Comment

Dude, if you got the $$$$, go for it, its a newbies dream.

Comment

except you wont be getting 150 hp... that second kit is for an ls1 fbody, not a 3.8l
          White 1998 3.8L Camaro
          Home Ram Air / Free Flow Intake
          Drilled / Slotted Rotors with black painted Calipers

Comment

True, remeber you only have the 3.8 on all mod's.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith2097:
              The kit I linked to does include an intake. Here is a list of what it includes. I know that there are cheaper alternatives such as building one yourself, but I'm really not that mechanically enclined (Nor do I have the tools), and I feel better getting something designed specifically for that.

This Stage 1 PerformancePac contains the following items:

* High-Flow Air-Box Lid (21045)
              * Cold-Air Induction Package (21033)
              * High-Flow K&N Air Filter (25012)
              * F-Body Smooth Bellows (23065)
              * Modular Loud Mouth™ Exhaust System w/2.5" Dual/Dual Tips (31042)
              Yes, the package deal from SLP is for an LS1. The intake lid won't work (the tube from the lid on the v8 is in the center, the v6 is offset to the right a little bit). You can get yourself a Whisper lid (which would also keep you from having to by the smooth bellows, it won't be needed if you get the whisper) , cut out the bottom of your intake box, and then if you still want, pick up a ram air kit. Also, have you heard the sound the Loud Mouth makes? Some people love it, others hate it. I've never heard it, but grom what people have told me, it's very loud and drones. The other alternative, if you want the loudness, would be the TSP Rumbler with tips
              without tips
              From what I've heard, a lot of people love this one. It's cheaper, not as loud, and doesn't drone nearly as much. It's all up to you in the end what you want to spend your money on though. Remember that probably 90-95% of the parts between our cars and Z28's are interchangable. But there are small differences (like the air box lid) that can cause you to waste your time and money
              2000 silver A4 Camaro<br />Whisper lid; Free Ram Air; BMR stb; MSD super conductor wires; Gatorback belt?<br />1986 RX-7 (daily driver)

Comment

Argh, now I feel really stupid for making such a mistake. I knew something seemed a little fishy with the 350 hp. Live and learn I guess. Well I guess I'll have to get the parts individually then. I have heard a sound clip of the loudmouth on a bird, and I do think I'll stick with that. I'm torn between the whisper lid and getting a seperate cold air intake. Which would give me better gains? Also, are those headers the correct (and decent) choice? Will they improve my sound/hp by much as well? I'm also up in the air about the cat thing. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Vladimir Gecko
                  Low Voltage
                  by Vladimir Gecko
                  I recently ran into a problem where when I drove my battery gauge showed low voltage. I compulsively replaced the battery and it was still doing the same...
                  9 hours ago
                • LETZRIDE
                  New Owner!
                  by LETZRIDE
                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                  6 days ago
                • ssms5411
                  Little work today
                  by ssms5411
                  Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                  3 weeks ago
                • LETZRIDE
                  Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                  by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                  Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                  By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                  Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                  02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X