SLP CAI + Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLP CAI + Water

I know a lot of people have concerns about this, here's my experience from this weekend...

It was raining like hell Friday afternoon, I came over a hill and the road was flooded out on one side. I hit the water going about 45 mph, and my best guess was it was 4" - 8". It really slowed the car down when I hit, and I thought that was about it for the motor. Got home, popped the filter out, and as far as I could reach down the air scoop it was dry.

I know I was really paranoid about water locking the motor, but this has built a little confidence in SLP.
    [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/sac2165\" target=\"_blank\"> CAMAROS</a>

The same thing happend to me about a month ago..
    I was coming to a light, hit a deep puddle on the side of the road.. Next thing I know, loss of some power, car bucked once and my instrument gauge started to dim. It was like the engine was about to cut off but recovered. When I got to the light, it idled a little rough so I reved the engine and it seemed to work itself out.
    &lt;Shrug&gt; Don't know if it was water getting to the intake or elctrical in the engine bay getting swamped.
    \'02 3.8L, Pewter Metallic Camaro<br /> - Y87 Performance Package<br /> - T-Tops<br /> - Monsoon Audio<br /> * SLP CAI<br /> * Whisper Lid<br /> * K&N Filter

Comment

the SLP CAI has GM specs,.. its the FTRA that you need to worry about locking your motor.
      2001 Pewter Firebird<br />4-speed automatic <br />T-tops<br />*LSD *3.42<br /> <br />Shaved Air Box <br />K&N Filtercharger<br />Firebat Decals<br />Dual Exhaust<br />Tinted

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ruger:
        the SLP CAI has GM specs,.. its the FTRA that you need to worry about locking your motor.<hr></blockquote>

tell me how they are different? have you even seen either in person? theyre the same... FTRA has a little flat peice of metal that goes down a little further... how does this increase the likelyhood of lockin an engine

Comment

Dude, I'm gonna have to go with Ruger on this one, I'm pretty sure their the same thing except for the extended flap and a cap off plate for the FTRA.
          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/sac2165\" target=\"_blank\"> CAMAROS</a>

Comment

um,.. yeah actually i have there hawgs,.. and the FTRA does in fact go down alot farther,.. if they where the same then the FTRA wouldnt be better now would it
            2001 Pewter Firebird<br />4-speed automatic <br />T-tops<br />*LSD *3.42<br /> <br />Shaved Air Box <br />K&N Filtercharger<br />Firebat Decals<br />Dual Exhaust<br />Tinted

Comment

Ruger, please stop posting myths.

FWIW, I have driven my car with the FTRA COMPLETELY installed through 8+ inches of rain, and not a SINGLE drop of water was in my intake or filter. Unless you go through 2 feet of water then you are not going to lock your motor, and if you do that, it's pretty safe to say that it is NOT the fault of the FTRA.

Scott

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ruger:
                um,.. yeah actually i have there hawgs,.. and the FTRA does in fact go down alot farther,.. if they where the same then the FTRA wouldnt be better now would it<hr></blockquote>

the FTRA does have a peice of metal that goes further, yes i know this dumbas*. i said that in my first post if you ever so carefully go back and look at it. this little single peice of metal that goes down does not aid in sucking up water. it is there to help channel air up, it does not suck any water. the part that actually sucks air is the same length as the SLP CAI. please do not try and correct me again, especailly when you not what you are talking about.

Comment

for your information the engine ain't sucking $hit. If it did, it would be forced induction (e.g. turbo/super). The only part where you'd feel a slight "sucking" would be right near that throttle body near the end of the lid.

Comment

oh boy dont let v6 firebird pride see this post he is pissed off at where the filter is on his cai his car has been running like **** ever scince that water he hit ( it sucked up about 2-3 glasses of waterinto the engine ) at least it was filterd water ( K&n Filterd ) lol any way guys i think the better intake for water is the lid IMO ive never had a problem with my filter getting wet or any thing...
                    91 Eagle Talon Awd Turbo 5 speed FOR SALE 6000$<br />Looking for a Fiero GT<br /><a href=\"http://www.swdsm.net\" target=\"_blank\">www.swdsm.net</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 99Camaro99:
                      for your information the engine ain't sucking $hit. If it did, it would be forced induction (e.g. turbo/super). The only part where you'd feel a slight "sucking" would be right near that throttle body near the end of the lid.<hr></blockquote>

Ummmmm you're wrong. In a naturally aspirated vehicle the engine has to suck air into it. In a forced induction vehicle, the blower pushes air in (while sucking through the filter). If you can feel the vacuum near the TB, the vacuum will go throughout that CAI and you should feel it there too. My CAI sounds like a vacuum at around 3000 RPM as well so don't say that it doesn't suck air in.

Comment

StockV6Cam is absolutely right. Normally aspirated cars ALWAYS READ VACCUUM, i.e. they are all sucking air. That whistle you hear when you have a vaccuum (not head gasket) leak, is air rushing in.

A turbo or supercharged car will be blowing, i.e. FORCING AIR IN (not sucking), and will read boost.

And, fwiw, you should worry too much about rain, but just don't drive through deep puddles at high speed at open throttle. If anything, close the throttle when you go over, it'll snap your throttle plate shut (and actually create more vacuum, but that's probably a different story)

-Rob
                        <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> please do not try and correct me again, especailly when you not what you are talking about. <hr></blockquote>

LOL
                          <b>Red 1999 Firebird M5</b><br />Whisper Lid,Borla Catback,K&N,Dual Friction Center Force Clutch,Hurst Shifter w/Lou\'s Short Stick,!FRA,Suncoast Ramair hood,160 Thermo,!maf,Chrome ZO6 Wheels, Painted Calipers, CIA Headers, Taylor Wires, NGK Spark Plugs, 3\" Catco, Jet Chip Stage II, BMR STB, LCA, PHR, SFC, Fan Switch, FTRA<br /><b>Old Dyno Numbers: 183 RWHP, 217 RWTRQ</b><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/redsixer\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/redsixer</a>

Comment

slp cai should be very safe. no problems for sure if you leave the black plastic under it on the car

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
                            Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 99Camaro99:
                              for your information the engine ain't sucking $hit. If it did, it would be forced induction (e.g. turbo/super). The only part where you'd feel a slight "sucking" would be right near that throttle body near the end of the lid.<hr></blockquote>

do you even have CAI? you can hear it...

and again...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by hawgs:
                              please do not try and correct me again, especailly when you not what you are talking about.<hr></blockquote>

[ November 10, 2002: Message edited by: hawgs ]</p>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                3 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X