Ordering a new cat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordering a new cat.

i have a 2.5" cat-back, so am i gonna need a CTO-6006(2.5) or a CTO-6007(3 in.)

So i'm wondering which will not make my ses light come on carsound or catco, i'm assuming both are equal performance wise.

I did a search but i couldn't find a straight answer, and i figured i should get one before ordering it.

Thanks for the help.
    2000 Pewter Camaro 3.08<br />2.5\" MagnaFlow Cat-Back, MagnaFlow Cat, K&N, Taylor Wires & NGK TR-55, Whisper Lid, BMR SFC, and BMR STB Chrome Moly.

The catco cat your looking at a flowrate of somewhere around 350cfms (Pulled that # from hotrod magazine), depending on which carsound you go with, the 94 series flows at 417cfm. To give you a ballpoint, your stock cat flows at 250cfms. Why do you want more flow? To get better sound of course. I personally don't like the catco's, I have had both cats before, the heatshield on the catco is tac welded on and is cheaply made. Whereas the carsound, the heat shield is completely welded on and constructed for better flow. Best bang for the buck your looking at a 94009 carsound cat. The best cat you say? I think the 93 series flows 10 more cfms then the 94 and is only a few more dollars. But Random Technologies is like the godfather of cats. Very expensive but their stuff flows around 450cfms I beleive.

Comment

good insight ted..

I back all of what ted said about the catco's they are nood good IMO.. just got my car sound cat on.. its seems to be working out ok.. but.. only time will tell..

i would stick with a carsounds one.. they seem to last longer and have less complaints..

check ebay.. email the people who sell them for like $50.. but tell them you need one with o2 boss'es..

it will end up running you like $75..

Comment

I really want to go with carsound anyways since its magnaflow brand and i have magnaflow exhaust, so thats good news.

Thanks ted that was great information.
        so should i get a 3" in and 2.5" out carsound 93/94 series, so they make 3/2.5 cats or what do i need?

I appreciate your help
        2000 Pewter Camaro 3.08<br />2.5\" MagnaFlow Cat-Back, MagnaFlow Cat, K&N, Taylor Wires & NGK TR-55, Whisper Lid, BMR SFC, and BMR STB Chrome Moly.

Comment

straight up 3 in and 3 out. Part 94009. I put on a univeral 3" GM cat in Dec 2002 and a couple months later the light came on. I put the 94009 in Sept 2003 a couple of days later, the light went off. And yes, the light still works [img]tongue.gif[/img]
          1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

Sounds good, i'm glad I won't have an ses light(hopefully) cause i have emmisions testing pretty soon i think.

Comment

Random Tech #616806 434 cfm
              Car Sound #93009 428 cfm
              Car Sound #94009 417 cfm

Dan, usually everyone goes with a #94009 cat because the inlet for our stock cats are 3inch, and they only make them like 3in in/out, or 2.5in in/out. So you wouldn't be able to do a combination like 3inch inlet 2.5inch outlet. It's not that hard at all for an exhaust shop to make a 3inch to 2.5inch adapter though when they weld it up. I almost think I should be working for magnaflow's carsound after pushing their cats for so long on there. Everyone's slowly ditching the catco's, i just don't like seeing all the 6 owners selling themselves short. Anyway, A really good company from california is Husker HIgh Performance.

http://www.exhaustproslinc.com/carunconwita.html

I'm straight across on the east coast and they deliver to my house in a few days by ground. It's sick! But great company to get anything from really. They have great stainless exhaust tips for cheap too if your looking for a appearance lift. As for the 93 series cats I'm not sure where to buy them at, you might want tocheck with that guy that sells carsound products on ebay. Other then that, good luck!!!

PS, I have a '96 and have not thrown a code for the cat, I know on the newer models some tend too but i'm not really sure on who has or not. When I needed to pass inspection once, I pulled my PCM fuse and put it back in to reset the PCM, this will clear the SES code for a while so no codes will come up when they scan. Also, your looking at model #94039 if you need to move your O2 sensor around, but odds are you probably already have one in there with your catback. So just go with the 94009 or the 93 series if you can find it.

[ February 02, 2004: Message edited by: Ted ]</p>

Comment

yeah husker is awsome.. i got my mufler from them.. they have pretty good deals.

Comment

Yeah that Husker Performance is the cheapest i could find it so i'm gonna order it from them in about a week. I appreciate the help Ted, made things a lot easier.

Later

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X