Should I punch out cat or replace it???? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I punch out cat or replace it????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I punch out cat or replace it????

I have a 94 camaro w/ 3.4L and the cat is bad. It rattles at every stop sign, stop light, you get the picture!! I was talking to a local who does exhaust work and he will put on a "high flow" cat for $195.00. To me, thats a good deal, since I can't seem to find them less then $185.00. Here's the deal, my friends are telling me not to go get a new one and go ahead and punch out the old core. What are the pro's and con's with removing the core from a cat? Will it affect the motor since there will be no back pressure (My motor has approx 150,000!)?? Has anyone punched their core out?? Well, before I do something I'll wait to hear what you guys say....thanks :rolleyes:

I say go with a high flow cat for several reasons: first off, you'll pass emissions testing (if your state does that) second, you won't kill the environment (and yourself) by spewing fumes, and now the most important reasons: it'll sound better (not raspy, like a tin can) and you won't lose power because if you have little or no modifications, you will need a little bit of backpressure in there. High flow ALL THE WAY.
    2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
    1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
    2011 Cadillac CTS-V
    2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

search frist but

you can punch your cat out and it wont hurt and thing but your service engine soon light will come on.

195 seems steep you can get a high flow cat for like 50 from Summit and just have him weld it in. ;)
      www.turbov6camaro.com
      1997 3800 Series II Camaro
      4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
      7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
      11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

OKay, I deffinetly do not want a "tin can" sound, I got a flow master w/ 3.5 tips which sound nice as it is. Yeah, the enviroment things is a factor. But I really dont want any service engine soon lights on, thats for sure. I have little mods done now and plan on doing alot this summer, so a high flow seems like a way to go.

Does anyone sell a high flow that is a direct bolt on so I don't have to weld??? Who makes a good high flow cat??

Viper: I'm gonna check out Summit, thanks...

Comment

Carsound cats are high quality...and you should get it welded...no leaks that way.
          <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

WHOLEY HELL $195 is a RIP OFF! I got a magnaflow high flow car AND custom 3" INSTALLED for $175!

Find a better deal on that cat if you can man... they seriously take a couple minutes to put in, cut out the old one and weld in the new one... should NOT cost you $195!
            <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

Viper, were in hell does Summit offer cat.'s for 50 dollas? I did a search ans got this:

BBK Performance Parts
              BBK-15670 Chevrolet/Pontiac: 1994-95 5.7L LT1 Camaro/Firebird, with single catalytic converter, 1 5/8 in. primaries, ste... Tomorrow $489.88
              BBK-15680 Chevrolet/Pontiac: 1995-97 5.7L LT1 Camaro/Firebird, with dual catalytic converters, 1 5/8 in. primaries, stee... $489.88 Call to Order
              Borla Performance Industries
              BOR-14464 Chevrolet/Pontiac: 1993-1995 5.7L Camaro/Firebird/Trans Am, single catalytic converter, adjustable cat-back, e... Tomorrow $737.95
              BOR-14555 Chevrolet/Pontiac: 1995-97 5.7L Camaro/Firebird/Trans Am, dual catalytic converter, adjustable cat-back, exhau... Tomorrow $760.95
              BOR-14780 Chevrolet/Pontiac: 1998-01 5.7L Camaro/Firebird/Trans Am, dual converter, cat-back, adjustable exhaust system ... Tomorrow $760.95
              Catco
              CTO-1099 Catalytic Converter (Fits 88-89 Mazda RX-7 Turbo) "Pre Cat" 6-1 $188.99
              CATCO
              CTO-4153 Chevrolet/Pontiac: 1989-91 5.0L (VIN-F), 1989-92 5.7L (VIN-8) Camaro/Firebird, direct fit OEM dual cat y-pipe ... Tomorrow $280.39
              Edelbrock Corporation
              EDL-5676 Cat-back Exhaust 1993-95 Camaro/Firebird 5.7L single catalytic converter 6-24 $275.95

Do you have a part number?

Comment

Speedy-v6, I found a carsound cat at Hopup racing. They want $75.00 for it. Good deal?? I notice it has 2 1/4 inlet and outlet, okay for our cars???

Comment

just call summit and tell them you want a catco high flow cat for a camaro they will ask what size

mine was the 2 1/2 in/out for 55 i think the 3" was like 85 or something.
                  www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...p&d=8&x=8&y=13
                    www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

Viper- you the man!! I called summit and they sold me the high flow catalytic converter for $55.69. How much do you think is a reasonable price to have someone weld it in for me? Thanks man.

For all that need to know- part # CC06906 55.69

Comment

I got a question. Does the stock converter come with o2 bongs or air injectors?
                        <a href=\"http://www.fbodyelpaso.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.fbodyelpaso.org</a> A4 stock 3.42 and LSD not Y87,SLP cold air induction, whisper lid, k&n filter, flowmaster 80 series, hypertech, 160 powerstat thermostat, t/a front bumper, functional nostrils, pacesetter headers best et: 15.9 at about 4800ft

Comment

Originally posted by 94camaro25:
                          Viper- you the man!! I called summit and they sold me the high flow catalytic converter for $55.69. How much do you think is a reasonable price to have someone weld it in for me? Thanks man.

For all that need to know- part # CC06906 55.69
                          cool glad i could help [img]smile.gif[/img]

i dont know the guy that does my exuast only charged me like 30 bucks and took him like 12 minutes lol hes really good. that inculeded the recducer needed from the 3" header y-pipe to the cat lol

i would to cut out your stock one and put that in. should not be over 40 bucks
                          www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

Thanks Viper, I'll let you know how much I actually get the labor done for.

Hey, Viper, can you answer Freds question, I don't think I can answer it for him !!

Sorry, Fred, I havent a clue, maybe Viper can help?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X