true duals, cats or no cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• true duals, cats or no cats

I'm in the process of making a true dual system for my car, I already have a 2.25" universal summit h-pipe, 2 2.25" magnaflow 10415 mufflers, and the upper panhard rod relocation kit so I can go over the axle with the pipes. I'm not worried about emissions testing since NC doesn't do the sniffer, and I have a few family members that won't do the visual either. I also already have the rear o2 sensor tuned out so throwing a code isn't a problem either. Will the exhaust be too loud inside the car for daily driving without the cats, or should I just go ahead and get a couple high flows and put them on? All I'm worried about here is interior drone on the highway.

I know true duals aren't cost effective, and I know I won't see much, if any increase in power over my current exhaust. This is just something I've been wanting to do for a very long time.

Re: true duals, cats or no cats

I have a TD set up with an X pipe on my '00 car, I went with no cats. It is loud, but at crusing speeds it's not as bad as you'd think. Acceleration is when it might bother you in the car. I love mine though.
    3M MAFIA
    ________
    | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
    Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
    sigpic

Comment

Hey, just turn up the radio...eventually it will be like a head ache that never goes away.
      Phil

Comment

I don't think it'll be too bad since I'm running it out the back instead of dumping it. Plus I can always add them later.

Comment

If your running it out back you'll be fine. Mines 3" dumped before the axle and its pretty loud even with a resonator in place of the CAT and dynomat throughout the car. I wouldn't run CATS if I had the choice, I would run resonators if it was too loud.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I was considering buying some pre-bent piping from summit, something like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-670145

Living in NC the car rarely sees salt on the roads or snow; so is it really necessary to go stainless steel?
            Last edited by 02firebird; 06-02-2014, 10:21 AM.

Comment

You could buy that, summit has X and H pipe kits you could buy as well and just add on from there. I bought their X pipe kit.
              3M MAFIA
              ________
              | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
              Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
              sigpic

Comment

I have Borla and I run it open. It's got a nice sound to it. Nothing raspy about it either.

I wish I could go no Cat, but that's a HUGE NO, NO in Calif.

Comment

You have the adjustble borla with the plates you swap out? I thought about trying to find a used one and put an electric cutout in place of the plates.

Comment

You will not regret true duals. Just make sure you have a good diagram plan for how you want it. I had it done out the back without any panhard modification and it wasn't pretty. Anyway now it's dumped with 2.5 Borla Pro XS's and I LOVE it. I get a lot of compliments on how it sounds and those unfamiliar with the Ls1 roar mistake it for an 8. I have a high flow cat where the stock one once was and nothing on the drivers side. I don't think not having it will make a difference just go with a good muffler. Magma flow was my second choice if I couldn't get borlas. Good luck buddy

Comment

Originally posted by 02firebird View Post
                      You have the adjustble borla with the plates you swap out? I thought about trying to find a used one and put an electric cutout in place of the plates.
                      Yes, those plates. Sad part is I accidentally threw my plates away when I was cleaning the garage. :twak:

Comment

I hated my true duals with magnaflow bullets. They came out the back and looked awful, not to mention it sounded like an import on steroids.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X