Please help me pick a v6 cold air intake - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help me pick a v6 cold air intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me pick a v6 cold air intake

I currently have 2 set ups. They are both used but in good shape. To be put on my 2000 Camaro 3.8 engine with oem SS hood.

The first set up:

1) A raised ram air radiator support from a ws6 trans am (modded on the bottom to allow more air in and be able to be used with the SLP cold air intake)
    2) A k&n air filter
    3) A shaved stock v6 lid.
    4) An SLP cold air intake to pull cold air from under radiator. Link:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=97329964618

The second set up is just the k&n cold air intake which has the metal radiator support to keep heat from the air filter. The air filter is round so it sucks up more air. Link:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=74151801020

Please put your input in which set up would be best with the SS hood on a 3.8 camaro. Maybe which would benefit more from the cold air coming in from the ss hood. I was maybe thinking about doing the second set up and adding the slp cold air intake to it by cutting out the metal radiator support. Idk, please help with suggestions. The set up I don't use will be up for sale, but don't let that be the reason for dishonesty lol.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Please help me pick a v6 cold air intake

dam lol im stuck on the same thing man . sense you have a ss hood i say go with the first option . i have a fire bird n im leaning more towards the second option. but i dont know yet? lol also ive never seen the set up for the camaros under the hood so i wouldn't know where the kit for option 2 would go but im guessing its similar to firebird and sense you have the ss hood . and if it has a that functional air duck in the midle (again im not very familiar with camaro parts so sorry if i dont help). it would be letting air in all the way back there. which then has no reason of getting option 2 , because the cold air would just mix with the engines heat witch there for defeats the purpose of a cold air intake. hopefully you under stand what i just typed lol and hope it helps.:tup:

Comment

Just FWIW, shortly after I bought my '02 (bought in '07, w/63k miles) I decided to do a test with the Whisper Lid, K&N FIPK, and Hypertech programmer (PP III). I put the car on a dyno, made 3 pulls in stock form, then installed the Whisper Lid (w/a K&N filter element), made 2 pulls, installed the K&N FIPK, made 2 pulls, then installed the PP III program (with the FIPK still in place) and made 2 more pulls. Stock HP was around 164 at the wheels, TQ was around 190 IIRC. With the Whisper Lid/K&N filter combo there was no noticeable change in HP, and I believe TQ was down a bit (I'll double check that when I get home). With the FIPK HP was 169, or +5 over stock (I forget what TQ was). With the FIPK + PP III the HP/TQ didn't change. My impression from that test was that more air is most beneficial. The FIPK seems to let more air in, therefore it performed the best.

Based on that test, the PP III & K&N filter were returned to the stores, and I sold the lid to someone on this board.

Now keep in mind, this was on an otherwise stock car, with the hood open and a fan blowing, and of course other factors (engine temp, operator consistency, etc) can affect results, but on that day, under those conditions, the FIPK was the best. But for 5 HP over stock...not sure it is worth the $300, at least not on a street car.

Comment

I would do option 1.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I also agree on option 1.

Comment

I was kind if leaning towards that fist option because I like the look of the intake there. Any recommendations on what to use to connect the intake lid to the throttle body? To get rid of the baffled up stock one. From reading online it is pretty restrictive (opinions). If I just use duct tubing, what's the best way to make a hole for the sensor there?

Thanks!

Comment

Just use a drill to drill the hole.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

you guys really think the stock bellows are really restrictive? also, whats the point of that big plastic piece in between the bellows? the baffle, just to reduce noise? if yes, is it a really noticeable difference in noise? worth taking out?

Comment

I bought an slp ls1 lid and just used some flexible tubing I bought from zzp to connect it to the throttle body. It has a much bigger opening, 4" diameter, same as the throttle body instead of that oval opening on the stock lid.

To answer your question though, yes it is quite noticeable when the baffles are gone, it is definitely worth taking out.

Comment

I went with set up option 1... I found out the hard way the ram air radiator support doesn't fit on the camaros with the ss hood. I still notice a difference with the slp cold intake set though. Happy overall. Going to shave my stock lid sometime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by vargasjc View Post
                      whats the point of that big plastic piece in between the bellows? the baffle, just to reduce noise? if yes, is it a really noticeable difference in noise? worth taking out?
                      Yes, I would remove it, it's like a silencer.

I went with a FTRA & whisper lid with k&n filter combo, feels good and sounds good too
                      Last edited by ACiFiC; 12-16-2012, 05:09 PM.
                      Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
                      1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
                      1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
                      2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

Originally posted by vargasjc View Post
                        I went with set up option 1... I found out the hard way the ram air radiator support doesn't fit on the camaros with the ss hood. I still notice a difference with the slp cold intake set though. Happy overall. Going to shave my stock lid sometime soon.
                        Anyone have the link to how we can make the RAM air radiator support on the camaro? prob not worth it, but would like to get some info

Comment

Originally posted by ACiFiC View Post
                          Yes, I would remove it, it's like a silencer.

I went with a FTRA & whisper lid with k&n filter combo, feels good and sounds good too

I have the SLP cold intake and I know they sell the extra piece to make it longer like the FTRA...is it worth the money extending that piece to under the front bumper instead of just by the rad?

Thanks

Comment

option 1.

remove all the middle bellows crap and install a piece of straight tube between the lid and the TB. you'll still use the accordian style attachments from the TB and the big oval-to-round peice at the lid, but then just install a straight tube (attaching with circle clamps) between the 2 accordian pieces. you won't have to worry about the sensor this way to.

when you find a whisper lid for sale...BUY IT!! :) in the mean time, just shave the stock lid and it'll work for now.

i've got the Ram Air lower box, K&N, Whisper Lid (had shaved stock with the above mod), and the FTRA that goes underneath the lower box and sits in front of the radiator.
                            it works great and has a great sound.

Comment

Originally posted by pathology knight View Post
                              option 1.

remove all the middle bellows crap and install a piece of straight tube between the lid and the TB. you'll still use the accordian style attachments from the TB and the big oval-to-round peice at the lid, but then just install a straight tube (attaching with circle clamps) between the 2 accordian pieces. you won't have to worry about the sensor this way to.

when you find a whisper lid for sale...BUY IT!! :) in the mean time, just shave the stock lid and it'll work for now.

i've got the Ram Air lower box, K&N, Whisper Lid (had shaved stock with the above mod), and the FTRA that goes underneath the lower box and sits in front of the radiator.
                              it works great and has a great sound.
                              Thanks! thats what I will do.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X