Tame true dual rasp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tame true dual rasp

So I installed sweet thunder true duals almost two months ago and I was a little disappointed. Startup, and under 3000rpms the car sounds great. Unfortunately, I never want to open up, because I'm embarrassed by the nasty rasp. So, I've been thinking about adding some dynomax bullets before the tips. I think it will deepen the tone in the upper rpm's, and I wouldn't mind making it quieter as the drone is a little much at times. Any thoughts?

Re: Tame true dual rasp

Cats or no?

What type of metal is the exhaust made from?

X-pipe, H-pipe or just true straight off both headers?

Comment

I have cats for both sides. It's an H pipe setup, BUT, the guy who installed this for me did a terrible job. Instead of going around the crossmember like an intelligent being, he went under it and thats where he installed the cats. Brilliant huh? :rant: Constant banging is what ive had to live with lately and im working on fixing it, anyway, he also made the h pipe extremely long. Basically the length of the crossmember so i think the length of the midpipe itself is giving me the sound of straight duals. I cant see the exhaust scavenging through such a long pipe when least resistance is straight through. Its all 409 stainless steel, with the exception of the pacesetter headers, and aluminized sweet thunder mufflers. Although I have to say the mufflers haven't discolored one bit.

Comment

Stainless will make it sound more "tinny" than with something like mild steel or aluminized steel.

It'd be great if we could get pics.

Sweet thunder mufflers are like the SLP Chambered mufflers right? That might also pose part of the problem in the way the sound is exiting the car. Have you heard SLP loudmouths before?

Comment

I have never liked the sound of a chambered muffler on our car... I agree with warshrike, if they are chambered, that could be why it sounds bad.
          Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Yeah I've heard that about stainless steel and the tinny sound. It's not even that though, once I open up it's just BLEH like a POS civic with a 5inch muffler. Once it shifts the rasp is Gone but I still do not like it. Yah I've heard the loudmouth sounds awful on a 6. I'll put up pics tomorrow

Comment

Thats why I'm thinking two dynomaxs might help

Comment

dynomax turbo mufflers do help. an actual turbo helps way more though!

Comment

No I want a bullet not the turbos, and yeah a turbo would be nice but this thing is becoming an irritating repair money pit lol the last thing it deserves is a turbo

Comment

Turbo mufflers would be nice, but I'm not sure about clearance and location on that car. Bullet would help more than the chambered ones, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
                      Turbo mufflers would be nice, but I'm not sure about clearance and location on that car. Bullet would help more than the chambered ones, that's for sure.
                      agreed. I'm going to leave the chambered's where they are and just weld in the bullets just before the tips. Should calm it down and help with rasp. I dont mind a little but what i cant stand is braaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!:tdown: zzp is having a small sale with the bullets on ebay for $45 a piece.

Comment

get a pair of borla xr-1 bullet mufflers and weld them in place. should deepen it up, give better tone, and sound better overall.

i'm throwing the same thing on my truck, and i had a full borla exhaust on my camaro and it sounded amazing.
                        pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                        gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

they were my first choice, i just cant get my head around the $140 a muffler concept

Comment

i dont even want to admit how much i spent on my full exhaust for the camaro...140 seems like a steal in comparison haha.

pacesetters, y-pipe, high flow cat, e-cutout, and a full 3" stainless borla catback landed me well into the 4-digit price tag realm. well worth it though
                            pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                            gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Originally posted by BallerMaro13 View Post
                              i dont even want to admit how much i spent on my full exhaust for the camaro...140 seems like a steal in comparison haha.

pacesetters, y-pipe, high flow cat, e-cutout, and a full 3" stainless borla catback landed me well into the 4-digit price tag realm. well worth it though
                              damn, I am only about 1200 with headers, and now on my 3rd configuration. I had 3 inch to a flowmaster, then I went to 2.5 inch, and way later added a glass pack. Now x-pipe with glass packs.

And I definately dont wanna spend 140 per muffler. I'll just deal with it for now.
                              Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X