true duals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• true duals

gota ? here ive seen the kooks and bassani true dual system but they say its only for the ls1 but i was wondering if i got a set a headers and just got that kit or one of them would i be able to run it with little welding and maybe some hanger mods let me knw plz thanx

Re: true duals

Yes it will fit the v6 but I believe it is intended to be used with long tube headers. Also there is a panhard bar relocation kit that needs to be purchased and something else that I cannot recall at this moment. Kooks website tells you what needs to be done to make it work but ultimately yes it will fit. IMO as awesome as this system is, that's a ton of money for an exhaust. I'm currently building an exhaust myself with a universal duals kit by flowmaster (409 s/s). Your own fabrication would cost a fraction of what kooks system asks for.

Comment

Yeah, if you already have to do hanger mods and other welding you might as well just make the whole thing yourself to save some money.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I built mine myself for prolly $150 or so. It's just dumped at the axle, I've tried running it over the axle and it a huge pita! It would hit and crap all the time. It's easier and I think it sounds a little better dumped.
        auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
        15.11@91.14
        Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

true duals can go either way in price range , the main factor is whether not its your daily driver and if you have to put up with emissions. im from new york and there is no way i could get away with true duals dumped. this is in mind i have to build a complete exhaust in order to pass. IMO while dumps are cheaper it would look ugly on the firebird without tips coming out the back but not so much the camaro. It's all personal preference, but when im finished with my build ill probably have spent between $500-700 which is what you'd pay for a top of the line catback. (U-fit Flowmaster 409 S/S 2.5 piping, Magnaflow cats, borla xr-1's, rear o2 sensor imitator, tips)

Comment

Yeah i was only using kooks and bassani as examples i would most def jus custom make it myself with help from buddys with welders but i was just thinking about 2.5 or 3 inch all the way back after some tube mufflers after the headers then just straight pipes over axle then out the back Not sure what kind of tubesi have no emissions and want a 02 sensor faker any suggestions
            Last edited by dondon69420; 05-03-2012, 08:25 PM.

Comment

I personally would not recommend deleting the cats because they tend to help lower the rasp and even if you want power deleting them wont add much HP. As far as the piping goes if you plan on having the car for a while id recommend S/S unless it will be in your garage and not driven through crappy weather, as aluminized will typically rot out if your accustomed to rainy and snowy weather. Here is a link to an o2 simulator for the post cat one and i believe its the one and one of the only that fbody users use http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/o2sim.html

Comment

Originally posted by Brians00Blackbird View Post
                I personally would not recommend deleting the cats because they tend to help lower the rasp and even if you want power deleting them wont add much HP. As far as the piping goes if you plan on having the car for a while id recommend S/S unless it will be in your garage and not driven through crappy weather, as aluminized will typically rot out if your accustomed to rainy and snowy weather. Here is a link to an o2 simulator for the post cat one and i believe its the one and one of the only that fbody users use http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/o2sim.html

If he's going with true duals I'd say definitely delete the cats, because trues take out a ton of the rasp and the right muffler will take out the rest. I would have to disagree with the fact that aluminized is going to rust out. I've only had aluminized on my vehicles and the only spots that rust is where there are welds and it is an all weather all year car. I use aluminized on my 4wd truck too which sees mud, snow, etc. I can promise that years and years from now the pipe will be just fine. the cost of aluminzed vs SS is so great its pointless to put SS under there espescially for TD's bc they are gonna scrape more. I know mines not routed the best but the amount of scrapes on the piping is insane. I say save a ton of money and do no cats and regular piping. But if was planning on spending $700 or more I'd honestly just get a borla system.
                auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
                15.11@91.14
                Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

My only gripe with aluminzed is i have a flowmaster american thunder cat back and it is already falling off the cat after 4 years. Also, 409 stainless is not that expensive, and is now what OEM systems are made of. It's appearance is similarly as dull as aluminized but more corrosion resistant and more durable. 304 is another story and i agree unless you have a show car its not worth the money. 409 is just a little extra insurance if you plan on having the setup for years to come that's just my $.02 (Bought flowmaster 409 stainless for $200; full true dual system components). And i only favor cats because i have to deal with emissions and i have heard cat-less v6's and I was not impressed. But its all preference, just in my experience they tend to get too raspy without them. Again only my opinion as exhaust "music" is rather ear specific to everyone :rock:

Comment

Originally posted by Brians00Blackbird View Post
                    My only gripe with aluminzed is i have a flowmaster american thunder cat back and it is already falling off the cat after 4 years. Also, 409 stainless is not that expensive, and is now what OEM systems are made of. It's appearance is similarly as dull as aluminized but more corrosion resistant and more durable. 304 is another story and i agree unless you have a show car its not worth the money. 409 is just a little extra insurance if you plan on having the setup for years to come that's just my $.02 (Bought flowmaster 409 stainless for $200; full true dual system components). And i only favor cats because i have to deal with emissions and i have heard cat-less v6's and I was not impressed. But its all preference, just in my experience they tend to get too raspy without them. Again only my opinion as exhaust "music" is rather ear specific to everyone :rock:
                    I get what your sayin. 304 stainless is ridiculously expensive. When i took my cat off and had a magnaflow muffler it did sound like ***. But when i put true duals on it took all the rasp out. Exhaust is ear specific though, i totally agree

New Time:
                    15.11@91.14
                    Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by crazytrain65 View Post
                      I get what your sayin. 304 stainless is ridiculously expensive. When i took my cat off and had a magnaflow muffler it did sound like ***. But when i put true duals on it took all the rasp out. Exhaust is ear specific though, i totally agree
                      That's cool to hear glad it worked out for ya. I believe the main cause of the rasp is from the Y pipe setup. X also can get raspy but it has a rather exotic rasp to it that people seem to enjoy. I love the old muscle car roar so I'm and H pipe guy. I have a thread going about my new setup and I'm thinking about acquiring some sweet-thunder chambered mufflers for my duals, but i'm waiting on the reply from the maker to see what he thinks. They are perfect for clearance and sound awesome on the V8's real throaty and deep. Wanted an xr-1 but cant justify paying almost 300 for mufflers. I know people recommend dynomax but i just dont feel they have a crisp enough tone to them. You said you had magnaflow's but i feel they are too quiet, do you have a clip of your setup?

Comment

Heres what it sounds like now 2 1/4" x-pipe with 12" summit racing glasspacks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPkwq...1&feature=plcp

This was no mufflers just 3" tips out the side of the x :) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR6sm...Lrg&playnext=1

New Time:
                        15.11@91.14
                        Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by crazytrain65 View Post
                          Heres what it sounds like now 2 1/4" x-pipe with 12" summit racing glasspacks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPkwq...1&feature=plcp

This was no mufflers just 3" tips out the side of the x :) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR6sm...Lrg&playnext=1
                          Haha wow the straight pipe actually sounded better to me. I'm thinking though that a long (18-24') muffler on each side would actually do a good job of refining the exhaust note a bit and actually sound great. I agree chambered sounds awful..but..that's with a Y setup and one pipe in and out. Duals I think would be a different story, especially since the sweet thunders are essentially a bullet design and not as restrictive as a flowmaster or other chambered mufflers. They sound pretty good on the Plymouth prowler setup's which are also V6's but totally different engine. I think it is worth a try :stp: Worst comes to worse ill sell em and they are not on the expensive side either.

Comment

If you can weld just make your own true duels it will be cheaper. mine was 240 total, with borla mufflers i got on ebay new H-pipre kit from summit ebay tips and some feet of piping 4-45* bends

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X