True dual/custom catback?- I want a deeper tone! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

True dual/custom catback?- I want a deeper tone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True dual/custom catback?- I want a deeper tone!

Hey guys, I would like some exhaust advice from the veterans out there. I currently have a flowmaster American thunder system on my bird and I like it but I feel it could be improved. I am in possession of some pacesetter headers and hope to install them by the summer. But I don't think that will solve my issue. I really want to upgrade to a custom dual exhaust but the shop I got in touch with and is fairly popular where I live won't do it. I also have to pass emissions so that probably eliminates my goal. I LOVE the way the xr-1's sound but I dont think one alone would sound right unless I went with duals. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Re: True dual/custom catback?- I want a deeper tone!

Most common is true duals with an H pipe dumped before the axle. If you know how to weld or have a friend that can weld, building a set wouldnt be to hard or expensive.

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...ight=duals+day

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...ght=True+Duals
    Last edited by SixShooter'00Camaro; 01-18-2012, 11:37 PM.
    3M MAFIA
    ________
    | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
    Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
    sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have anyone I know that can weld.. At least weld properly lol. When I inquired the shop, he said if I dumped them it would be dangerous as a daily driver because if there are any "cracks" or open areas in my body that the fumes would spread throughout my cab? How common is this? Also, i need to pass emissions so wont having the two cats be an issue and throw a code? Anyway after a lot of searching I was contemplating this setup.. Pacesetter headers into a magnaflow cat, followed by a tsp rumbler catback, with a gt2 cam. Any opinions?

Comment

I have never had any issues with leaks into the cabin area. I ran open headers with Y-pipe for about a month and a half. I don't see two cats being an issue, one will have a post cat O2 sensor, and the other will not. If they use a sniffer you surely will pas with one cat per side,.

As far as the setup that you mentioned, the GT2 sounds awesome, and shows pretty good gains, but I cant say much about the TSP rumbler on our cars, I will let others chime in.
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

This is what I'm going for-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIncY...e_gdata_player

Mine should be a little more refined because I will have the cat in place. I don't really want to count out duals but I feel it will be more of a struggle and expensive, plus if I did do it I only want xr-1's and that's like 400 right there just for the mufflers.

Comment

I just posted this in the sound clips thread, but this is my car with no cat, 24 inch glass pack, and flowmaster muffler, all 2.5 inch pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuhKTOtKb70
            Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Just realized that my Duals thread was the link on top, LOL.
              Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
              Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
              Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
              Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
              Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

"Passing emissions" varies in all states. If you're in California, you're screwed because the cat cannot be out of the stock location.

Other places will fail you for not running the exhaust out the back, yadda yadda.

Comment

Originally posted by Pewter02Camaro View Post
                  Just realized that my Duals thread was the link on top, LOL.
                  Cause its one of the best dual build threads!

You should have no problem passing emissions, two cats, two mufflers, like Chicken mentioned one cat will have a post 02 sensor. As far as the TSP, Ive only heard one car that it sounded good on, and that was OneEightySevens car cause he had some custom work done I believe, usually IMO it makes it more raspy. If you dont want to do true duals, you could put a diesel resonator in place of the cat, and run a muffler of your choice, they tone down the rasp alot and give it a deeper tone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awpFaQQWxhw < Docta's car with a diesel resonator in place of cat and Dynomax Turbo muffler.
                  Last edited by SixShooter'00Camaro; 01-19-2012, 03:03 PM.
                  3M MAFIA
                  ________
                  | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
                  Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
                  sigpic

Comment

Where can i find a diesel resonator? Thats why i had a glass pack installed cause i couldnt find one.
                    Team NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                      Where can i find a diesel resonator? Thats why i had a glass pack installed cause i couldnt find one.

EBAY ftw.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Something like this??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MBRP-Dodge-F...#ht_1290wt_907

How big of a difference does the diesel resonator make?
                        In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
                        2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

The one I put on is like 8"s in diameter and only 8" long , they really cut down on rasp.
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

just found this clip of a 96' 3.8 with a tsp rumbler and cammed..sounds great to me but im going with the zzp gt2 cam this one is abbots NA cam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbiNK...juyNbZc5dLoiCI

Comment

The one I have on my car is just a race muffler... helped alot. I could run my cutout open and it didn't rasp.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X