header flange bolts galling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• header flange bolts galling

Has anyone else had a problem with this I usually loosen up my bolts every few months or so to adjust the flanges but everytime I do the bolts are galled and I end up having to snap them off. Im using 1/2 X 3" stainless bolts. Pacesetter headers by the way. Im going to try a few washers on the bolt and nut side to give it some more thread.

Re: header flange bolts galling

I take it im all alone on this one :mad:

Comment

I have the stock header bolts and they have held up fine, might be your weather is causing them to fail, or over tq'ing them.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Could be over doing it I suppose. I also put some c5a on the bolts so far so good

Comment

Why are you messing with them so often?

Also, stainless is the worst for galling. Maybe a coated grade 8 bolt would reduce galling and be about 40% stronger than most stainless alloys, reducing breakage.
          Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
          Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

weather changes alot around here. Causes for adjustment more often. Also thought I had a leak however it ended up being my flywheel.

Comment

Youre going to get much much more galling if youre using the same material bolt and header. Get a different grade of stainless bolt, coated bolts, or get washers of a different material than the header and the bolts. Also there are anti-galling compounds available, but check the temperature ratings, they may not be suitable for use on a header.

Comment

Originally posted by IceHammer View Post
                Youre going to get much much more galling if youre using the same material bolt and header. Get a different grade of stainless bolt, coated bolts, or get washers of a different material than the header and the bolts. Also there are anti-galling compounds available, but check the temperature ratings, they may not be suitable for use on a header.
                I intalled the new stainless bolts with a different washer and c5a which is government grade high temp

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X