Over heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over heating

so after my gasket change my 3.8 still wonts to hit about 200 when im in a drive threw but when im on the interstate or just driveing it wont get over 180 so what could it be causeing this problem

Re: Over heating

Radiator fan?

Comment

Originally posted by 3.8lcoty View Post
      so after my gasket change my 3.8 still wonts to hit about 200 when im in a drive threw but when im on the interstate or just driveing it wont get over 180 so what could it be causeing this problem
      Or for those of us that speak gooder English lol

So, after my gasket change my 3.8 still wants to hit about 200 when im in a drive-thru. When I'm on the interstate or just driving it won't get over 180. What could be causing this problem?

180 to 200 is normal operating temp without modifications. This doesn't seem to be a problem to me. Do you have a different thermostat? Separate on/off switch for the fans?
      Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Originally posted by youngsc View Post
        Or for those of us that speak gooder English lol

180 to 200 is normal operating temp without modifications. This doesn't seem to be a problem to me. Do you have a different thermostat? Separate on/off switch for the fans?
        200-210 is around normal, low fans come on at 220 degrees, unless your AC is on then it will stay on low. 220-235 high fans come on. I use a manual fan switch, drilled 160 thermo, bigger air dam, in AZ it will still rub around 200-210 just because its so hot.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

im sure this is not English class its more like texting a friend so i do not think i have to do everything perfect but thanks

and as long as my car dose not get over like 210 then there will be no problems and i have a 170 thermostat

Comment

yeah, i have been in the little town of lincolnton,nc for the summer and it has been about 99 average this last week so i can understand that

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
              200-210 is around normal, low fans come on at 220 degrees, unless your AC is on then it will stay on low. 220-235 high fans come on. I use a manual fan switch, drilled 160 thermo, bigger air dam, in AZ it will still rub around 200-210 just because its so hot.

and can you explain how you wired the fan switch

Comment

and can you explain how you wired the fan switch

On a hot day you might hit 220 which the high fans kick on to cool it down. I bought my stuff off either SLP or Caspers electronics maybe $60 , its a kit you just follow the instructions comes with everything you'll need even the high low switch. Good part it was all plug/play.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

thanks alot ssms5411,i know it would be hot as h e l l in the car but when my engine got realy hot before i changed out my gaskets i used to turn on my heat, i know that it is retarted but it took the temp straight down to 170
                  Last edited by 3.8lcoty; 08-02-2011, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Yeah you seem fine. I run a 160 thermo but the car will still hit 200 if it's sitting in traffic.

Comment

totally normal heat range for our cars. Drive the sucka!
                      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

sweet well i was just wondering how much the electric pump helps on cooling?

Comment

sweet well i was just wondering how much the electric pump helps on cooling?

Not worth the money unless your cammed and running it at the strip.

Comment

does anyone sale a bigger pump for a good price

Comment

The electric pump is the only upgrade I've seen as far as water pumps. I think a better radiator would make more sense if you insisted on beefing up the cooling system, but a direct replacement runs about $500. There is also the Summit and Jegs brand radiators that would be more efficient for $150-$220, but you would have to figure out how to mount it and attach the fans.

I would buy the $60 fan switch kit ssms described before I spent any real money though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X