V8 catback different than V6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 catback different than V6?

Will a V8 catback system fit on a V6? Or is the V8 systems bent different or something. Im looking online at catback systems and there are systems that say they are for the 3.8L and others that say the fir the 5.7L. Is there really a difference or will either system work on my V6. Thanks.

Re: V8 catback different than V6?

If you're looking at the right year, the only difference is pipe size I believe. Other than that the bottom of the cars is the same.

Comment

I would go with the 3" pipping if doing your exhaust.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Not really. Just go for it and if there are differences the shop will fix that.

I agree with SSM, go 3" from the cat down.

Comment

yup, heed the steve :tup:

pipe sizing and hangers are really the only difference. i've got a full 3" stainless V8 borla exhaust on mine and no problems running it whatsoever.
          pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
          gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

You need an S-pipe adapter i believe. Some older lt1 cars also require that. The piping is actually a tad bit different between v6 and v8 and im not only talking about diameter.

Comment

correct good sir ^

i just bought the 3" stainless u-pipe from summit and cut it in half and had it welded backwards into an "s". looks clean and worked out perfectly.
              pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic

Comment

Be careful what you buy. It depends on what year and model you have. I have just bought a Magnaflow cat-back system which they said was a straight bolt on fit. So my local garage followed all the instructions and layed it all out on the floor underneath the car and everything looked fine. The original system was fully welded upto the S bend before the cat so they set about cutting it all out. The join to the S bend is under a cross member which is only held in with four bolts.

The first pipe to be fitted was the intermediate pipe which was straight at the fitting to the cat and it would not fit because it was right up tight to the prop shaft. When checking the original piece of pipe it had a lazy S bend in it to hold it away from the prop.

I ended up transporting the car to another exhaust manufacturer's and having them make a custom pipe to fit between the cat and the rear muffler at a lot more expence.

Magnaflow are saying there is no problem with thier system even though I have showed them photo's.

I think the problem is that 1998 models onwards have a one piece prop and earlier models have a two piece prop. I only found that out on this website. So before you buy do your homework.

Cheers Gerry
                Attached Files
                Last edited by March Hare; 08-05-2011, 10:01 AM.

Comment

hmm has anyone else had that happen with magnaflow??

i went with the full borla setup and it just needed an S-pipe since one wasnt included. otherwise, no issues whatsoever other than just the tight squeeze getting the 3" over axle pipe snaked in.

sigpic

Comment

My original S-pipe is welded to the cat so the first join was the mid-pipe to S bend, thats where my problem started.

Magnaflow did supply a new S-bend with the system I got but it was of no use to me.

Of course, my system was bought through a UK agent for Magnaflow but the system is the same one as available in the US, part #15693.

Cheers Gerry

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X