Looking to upgrade the exhaust. Need help. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to upgrade the exhaust. Need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to upgrade the exhaust. Need help.

Right now i have a 100% stock 99 firebird W68 Y87. I want to upgrade the exhaust to have more of a V8 sound and I want to avoid the weedwhacker sound that everyone puts on civics. My original plan was to just take it to the shop and have them go with bigger pipes and a muffler from the cat back. Then I saw this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s1K6...eature=related , and think thats the way to go. He has a magnaflow high flow cat with a muffler. The muffler i know what to get, but i have no ideas about catylitic converters. What is a good high flow cat for around $200. Any other help is appriciated. Thanks.

Re: Looking to upgrade the exhaust. Need help.

pacesetters, magnaflow high flow cat(80 bucks i think), borla cat back. Or summit turbo muffler.

you wont get a v8 sound, trueduals is the only way to get somewhat close to that.

Comment

Dynomax turbo muffler is a good muffler, little louder than Summit turbo with no rasp.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I did a lot of research, Borla is THE BEST, sounds awesome. I didn't have money for it so I settled for magnaflow, just installed in last week, hated it at first, but I kinda like after putting over 200 miles on it. The magnaflow sounds ricer only when free revving it, but when your driving it sounds a lot different. Kinda of like a euro six cylinder with exhaust.

Comment

For $357.96 out the door from summit you can get pacestter mid-headers and a magna flow high flow cat. I've had the magna flow cat-back and decided to finish the rest this past weekend. I cant tell you what the final sound is because I three of my wires come apart when taking them off the spark plugs. I put them back together but still have a miss. Plus i havent welded it together yet. Oh yea if you decide to do it make sure you get a reducer for the y-pipe. You'll need a 3" to 2.5".

Comment

i have

pacesetter headers, pacesetter y pipe, pacesetter high flow cat,custom 3 inch i and s piping. to a flowmaster exhaust.

she sounds wicked and is always mistaken as a v8(yes even had to pop my hood to prove she's a 6er :) )

but i'm also cammed so shes got a beautiful lobe
            WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Don't get the magnaflow muffler!! Trust me, I just went through this. Had a magnaflow muffler put on mine (along with whole new custom cat back,) and it sounded just like a monster weed eater. Very ricey, couldn't stand it. Changed the muffler to a flowmaster and much happier now. If you get the magna muffler, you'll be the envy of every high school kid with a Honda.

Comment

Originally posted by KJZ28 View Post
                I did a lot of research, Borla is THE BEST, sounds awesome. I didn't have money for it so I settled for magnaflow, just installed in last week, hated it at first, but I kinda like after putting over 200 miles on it. The magnaflow sounds ricer only when free revving it, but when your driving it sounds a lot different. Kinda of like a euro six cylinder with exhaust.
                I wouldn't say Borla is the best . I have tested about 7 mufflers on my car to see if
                i could get no rasp and sound great, Summit turbo muffler for a stock sounding exhaust. Dynomax turbo for s deeper sound and sounds great , Dynomax bullet race muffler for extra loudness but still sounding great. Bullet race muffler is just like the Borla XR1 muffler but half the cost or more.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Magna flow cat, magna flow muffler, and pacesetters reporting in.. Don't plan on changing it anytime soon.
                  Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
                  1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
                  1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
                  2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

Originally posted by ACiFiC View Post
                    Magna flow cat, magna flow muffler, and pacesetters reporting in.. Don't plan on changing it anytime soon.
                    This, except I got CIA headers.

I still need to get on the exhaust video after 10k miles of break-in.

Comment

Ok, here is what I'm thinking after lots of research and all your help. Pacesetter headers (mid tube) and y pipe, pacesetter high-flow cat, and flowmaster muffler. All the other pipe work will be custom bent by the shop. I think it will be about $550 for everything w/o labor to install the parts.

Comment

Flowmaster sounds like ***, only sounds decent at idle. Borla Pro XS is what I have and love it, nice some what deep sound all the way through the RPM rang.

borla sound clip

Comment

This Tuesday my exhaust set up will be done. It'll have pacesetter headers and y-pipe, a magnaflow cat, custom piping and a dynomax turbo muffler. I'll see if I can get a clip posted then.

Comment

Originally posted by Atrum Rosa View Post
                            This Tuesday my exhaust set up will be done. It'll have pacesetter headers and y-pipe, a magnaflow cat, custom piping and a dynomax turbo muffler. I'll see if I can get a clip posted then.

You should be happy with the Dynomax turbo muffler. Good choice.

Comment

Everything is a matter of opinion. You love your borla while others love their magnaflows and flowmasters. I'm trying to get a full exhaust but on a budget. Believe me if I had the money it would affect what id get. Ive heard flowmasters with the headers and cat and i think it sounds pretty good. I'm getting a quote from my shop tomorrow, just to see the labor cost and ask about them bending the s and tail pipes.

Here are the exact parts I'm getting:

Headers
                              http://www.andysautosport.com/pontia...s00034514.html

High-Flow cat
                              http://www.andysautosport.com/pontia...s00000214.html

Muffler
                              http://www.amazon.com/Flowmaster-425...1999&carId=001

All these parts will work together right?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X