Custom exhaust..need input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom exhaust..need input

So I'm nearly there (money-wise) to building my custom exhaust setup, and I'd like some opinions for what I'm planning on doing. I've got an '02 SLP Firebird GT, and I know most people will probably recommend Flowmaster, but I'd like to keep it SLP (even though I believe the SLP GT's came with the stock LS1 exhaust didn't they?)

Anyway, I'm looking at a generic high-flow catalytic converter on ebay, and am looking at SLP Loudmouth II Bullet mufflers with Loudmouth Bullet resonators. Anyone know how this may sound on the V6? I've looked up some youtube clips but some seem raspy and some not, so I'm not sure which to believe.

Also, any opinions on the OBX or FFF stainless headers? I couldn't seem to even find a price on FFF's site. I'm planning on doing a full stainless exhaust system.

Thanks
    aka FreedStyle
    Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
    2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Re: Custom exhaust..need input

Pacesetter headers are usually the choice for most of v6 fbodies, affordable and such.
    Last edited by ACiFiC; 04-08-2011, 11:56 PM.
    Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
    1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
    1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
    2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

Our cars typically sound good at idle with the exhaust, but rasp at higher RPM it is unavoidable no matter what the combination of exhaust. You didn't mention, but would this be 3" piping?

I know James 12secondv6 had a loudmouth on his and it sounded like angy bees at WOT and there were some video clips floating around of it, but he had very good results at the track because it was free flowing. I do not have any experience with the OBX headers?, lots of guys have good luck with the FFF LTs, but for the price as mentioned most go with pacesetter.

Overall Do your research there is lots of information, but there WILL be rasp in the higher RPMs and WOT. I ran a custom 3" for a while and was unhappy because the build quality was poor, then went to RKSport headers to a carsound 3" highflow cat to flowmaster 3" dual out catback with turndowns and was happy with it, but I personally was not as worried about sound as I was flow but I liked the sound anyways; so whatever 3" exhaust I found at the time for the best price is what I went with. Flowmaster, dynomax, magnaflow just listen to exhaust clips of the different brands and see what you prefer then give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by CFreed11 View Post
        So I'm nearly there (money-wise) to building my custom exhaust setup, and I'd like some opinions for what I'm planning on doing. I've got an '02 SLP Firebird GT, and I know most people will probably recommend Flowmaster, but I'd like to keep it SLP (even though I believe the SLP GT's came with the stock LS1 exhaust didn't they?)

Anyway, I'm looking at a generic high-flow catalytic converter on ebay, and am looking at SLP Loudmouth II Bullet mufflers with Loudmouth Bullet resonators. Anyone know how this may sound on the V6? I've looked up some youtube clips but some seem raspy and some not, so I'm not sure which to believe.

Also, any opinions on the OBX or FFF stainless headers? I couldn't seem to even find a price on FFF's site. I'm planning on doing a full stainless exhaust system.

Thanks

I have the stainless OBX headers, but they are not installed - still in the box. I have B&B 304SS system.

For a 2002, look at Clear Image although they are not SS.

http://www.clearimageautomotive.com/.../V6Headers.htm

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

H pipe set up helps with the rasp, MeatyShells did and H pipe (maybe it was an X pipe, dont remember for sure) and it hardly had any rasp, theres a vid floating around here somewhere.
          3M MAFIA
          ________
          | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
          Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
          sigpic

Comment

I forgot to mention that part... I'm going for a custom 2.5" true-dual w/h-pipe setup. I've looked at the Pacesetter, Clear Image, and RKSport headers, but like I said, I'd like to go full stainless.

Thanks guys for the input so far!
            aka FreedStyle
            Chaddrich Freed

Comment

go turbo mufflers, magnaflow bullets, or borla xr-1's. true dual sound great on these cars and with the right combination you CAN eliminate rasp. I think they sound better with an x pipe than an H. I've had both
              auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
              15.11@91.14
              Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

Pacesetters, and XR-1s, for sure.
                3M MAFIA
                ________
                | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
                Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
                sigpic

Comment

RK' Sport headers and dynomax bullet muffler sounds great.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

headers make a huge difference with sound
                    auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
                    15.11@91.14
                    Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

I have pacesetters with trans am mid pipe non catted with a dynomax superturbo muffler and at idle people think I have a v8.

Comment

Well I bought a pair of universal Magnaflow high-flow cats. They should be here by next week. I'm still planning on doing the SLP mufflers, though I may ditch the resonators to save me $150. I can always buy them later and patch them into the system if I need/want to. I want the car to be noticeable, but not obnoxiously loud. And I'm hoping with the true-duals and h-pipe I can achieve minimal rasp.

I'm still looking for more info on some stainless headers. Particularly the OBX ones. I'll be emailing Forced-Fed in a few to get more info and pricing on their long tubes.

Thanks for the input guys!
                        aka FreedStyle
                        Chaddrich Freed

Comment

I am the procrastinating type when I am trying something new for the first time and don't want to 'f' it up. Actually, as of today, I now have my old headers out and the OBX sitting on the floor ready to go in hopefully on Friday. I was running Catco high flow cat, modified 3" S-pipe, to a Borla cat back for about the last 8 yrs (boy how time flies). It does get higher pitch as the throttle comes open but I like the cruising sound.

Anyone have any tricks for getting the y-pipe off? Sounds pretty simple but nothing I do is ever simple. I do not believe I had that welded just clamped. Should I try to heat it up?
                          Zaino; FireBatCave Decals; Red Inside<br /><br />K&N Filter & Lid; Removed MAF screen; FRA; Raised Air Box; 180°F Stat; BMR STB; 3\" Catco & S-pipe; Borla Cat-Back; O2 Sim; HPPIII; NGK TR55s; Taylor 8mm wires<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300</a>

Comment

If it's slip fit, just keep working it around and it will loosen up. Some PB blaster helps too.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

OBX update ... I did not have any problems. The gasket fit corrcectly, the manifolds fit correctly. The only issue was the EGR hole in the manifold was too big to fit the stock screw. And I did not understand the spring for the header to y-pipe flanges. First heat up not leaks and everything was tight.
                              :rock:
                              Zaino; FireBatCave Decals; Red Inside<br /><br />K&N Filter & Lid; Removed MAF screen; FRA; Raised Air Box; 180°F Stat; BMR STB; 3\" Catco & S-pipe; Borla Cat-Back; O2 Sim; HPPIII; NGK TR55s; Taylor 8mm wires<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X