Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh no... I didn't want this

So I got my exhaust done yesterday. New magna cat 3" in/3" out, 3 inch pipe
    back to the muffler, magna muffler with 3" in and dual 2.5" outlets.
    No tips, ends are tucked and turned down. But I am very disappointed in the way it sounds.
    I have a rice burner now :mad:. It it so raspy, I am almost embarrassed to drive it.
    It sounds exactly the way I DIDN'T want it to sound.
    It has a nice deep tone at idle, but raspy when revving at all.
    Is there anything I can do to get rid of the rasp? Or am I just going to have to buy a different muffler?
    Someone suggested a resonator, but where the heck would I put it?

I must say though, this exhaust has unlocked a lot of power. :excited:
    It has a lot more high end hp, very noticeable above 3500 rpm, and a little more low end torque.
    Anyone that says 3" piping makes you loose torque doesn't know what they are talking about.

Re: Oh no... I didn't want this

That's how our cars sound. Even the V8's are raspy. They just have a lot of sexy rumble and loud roar that makes it sound excellent. I've heard clips of borla mufflers which do seem to reduce rasp a lot. However to me it makes the car sound like an import. It's almost nasal sounding.

For me a resonator did no good. It just made all the exhaust notes that sound good a lot quieter. It did absolutely nothing for the rasp.

Do you have aftermarket headers? For me that improved the note a lot. The car also sounded a lot better after my high ratio rockers. A cam would make it sound even better. Also you can ditch the cat for more deep notes and more roar. It's acting kind of like a resonator too.

As for losing torque, from 3", you don't lose any torque, you gain torque. That's a misconception from the Honda kids that think you "need a little back pressure" because they don't understand exhaust gas drag and velocity. The torque should improve and also moves up the RPM range to a higher RPM. This may create the impression of losing torque if you don't know how to launch. If you launch well it makes no difference and the added high rpm torque and horse power are excellent.

Also try waiting a bit for your exhaust to burn in.
    sigpic

Comment

that 3" piping also has a lot to do with your rasp.

is it rasping while you drive?

your going to need to change mufflers, or downsize piping (2.5 would probably help a lot without sacrificing performance), go back to a stock cat or something along those lines

my camaro had a flowmaster muffler back system, but it only rasped when revved about 3.5k in neutral

Comment

Originally posted by OneEightSeven View Post
        TAlso you can ditch the cat for more deep notes and more roar. It's acting kind of like a resonator too.
        if you think you have rasp now, remove that cat and youll embarrass even the biggest of ricers it will be so bad.... been there done that. sure it sounds lower, but you cant change a single gear without rasp

Comment

I am still running the stock manifolds. The only headers I like is the Clear Image ones because
          they have the 3 bolt flanges. But I don't have the extra $700 to get them right now.
          The stock manifold are the "header" style ones anyway, I can't imagine that going to
          real headers will add much hp (mabey 5-8 hp?)

As for removing the cat - Not an option in my book. I am a firm believer in what they do (reducing emmisions.)
          Seems that would increase the rasp even more, anyway. Plus, it would throw SES codes
          and I would have to get the code removed from the pcm to pass emmisions here in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by venom3300 View Post
            that 3" piping also has a lot to do with your rasp.

is it rasping while you drive?
            At cruising speeds it does not sound raspy. It only sounds raspy when I get in
            the throttle a bit, say more than 25% throttle. Or revving above 2500 rpm.

At idle or just cruising, it actually sounds pretty good.

As for down sizing to 2.5" pipe - I just paid to have this put in. Makes no
            sense to have it pulled back out, and the 3" just looks frigging awesome.
            The piece that goes over the axle is mendrel bent, and the S pipe is gone.
            The S pipe is now more of a 'lazy Z', with two 45 degree bends instead of
            two 90 degree bends.

Comment

your wrong about the headers. its the best thing you can do for your exhaust cause its the first part that bottle necks it. get headers and get rid of the 3in piping and go with 2.5in and remove the cat. itll sound great and not too raspy

Comment

Originally posted by kylerobison View Post
                your wrong about the headers. its the best thing you can do for your exhaust cause its the first part that bottle necks it. get headers and get rid of the 3in piping and go with 2.5in and remove the cat. itll sound great and not too raspy

Like I said, removing the cat is not an option. And I just paid to have this installed.
                Why the heck would I pull it back out?? Other options, please.

Headers are an option, in the future. Don't have the $$ right now for the good 3 bolt flange CIA's.

Comment

without piping and headers, your going to have to try different mufflers, maybe throw the stock cat back on.

borla mufflers have less rasp but they also cost, some (SSMS) also swear by summit turbo mufflers

Comment

I love my dynomax turbo muffler. still need to do headers and intermediate pipe though

Comment

Originally posted by Atrum Rosa View Post
                      I love my dynomax turbo muffler. still need to do headers and intermediate pipe though
                      yeah, dynomax... thats the other one i couldnt think of...

Comment

Originally posted by venom3300 View Post
                        if you think you have rasp now, remove that cat and youll embarrass even the biggest of ricers it will be so bad.... been there done that. sure it sounds lower, but you cant change a single gear without rasp
                        This... is too true. My ca sounds like a dying rat. It leaks with no cat, magnaflow 2.5" muffler.... sad face.

Comment

I have the Magnaflow 15693 Catback Exhaust; single in, dual out, and gutted out my stock CAT, plugged in an O2 emulator from ZZP, and couldnt be happier. No matter what (unless gone Borla) you are goin to get some rasp with your exhaust, thats just the nature of the beast with our cars. I couldnt be happier wit the way my car sounds, and the performance difference with the Magnaflow and Cat-Delete is incredible. Plus I still pass inspection without question.

Comment

Also a side note; the Dynomax turbo mufflers sound GREAT on our cars. still a bit of rasp, but it might be more of what you are looking for. My friend had a 98 Camaro with the Dynomax turbo muffler, and it sounded much more quite and conservative than my magnaflows.

Comment

This is 3" Brola with Pace setter headers and no cat. It is a lot quieter with the car on on it. It is also not as loud when it not on the bottle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb7Nrhb2iAo

You can add Supper trap mufflers to the tail pipes of yours to calm it down. Meatyshells did this to his car also in AZ. I believe he had a SLP loudmouth system. I haven't seen him on this board recently by he is active on FTV6.
                              Last edited by bigbrian442; 03-19-2011, 05:04 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X