Newb question here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb question here.

Hello guys, I got a question. I've been wanting a new exaust system on my 99 firebird but I don't have the extra cash right now. This evening I stumbled across a craigslist ad containing this.

I have an SLP Loudmouth that was pulled off of a Trans Am. Wasn't used very long, decided to upgrade to the Loudmouth2. It's a 3"in/3"out. $40 isn't firm, just make an offer.
    Just from this info do you know if this would fit on my firebird without any mods? The price seems managable so it would be great if I could grab it. I'm a total noob when it comes to working on cars and any advice will be appreciated.

Re: Newb question here.

Since it's 3" you would have to have a re-sizing coupler at either the catalytic converter, or the y-pipe, whichever you decide to install at. I would get a high flow cat and go from there. And make sure it's from the same model year as your car. Either 93-97 or 98-02. I'm not sure but they might have different exhaust routes.

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
      Since it's 3" you would have to have a re-sizing coupler at either the catalytic converter, or the y-pipe, whichever you decide to install at. I would get a high flow cat and go from there. And make sure it's from the same model year as your car. Either 93-97 or 98-02. I'm not sure but they might have different exhaust routes.
      the exhaust "routes" are the same, but the mounts are not.

I have a 97' dual exhaust on my 98' and i had to make a custom mount for it, but all it consisted of is an exhaust hanger and a bolt

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
        Thanks. I was thinking about it over dinner and remembered the part that said 3"in, I figured I'd need something to adapt the factory pipe to the new system. You confirmed it for me. That puts the project out of my price range for right now.

Here's a pic of my baby. It's pretty rough around the edges but it looks good from far away. Don't hate me for the wheels, they were on the car when I bought it.

Comment

Whats wrong with the wheels? They are classic 7 spoke rims. lol. I do love black birds, I think that and SOM are the best colors on them.

And the guy is seriously selling it for $40? Are you sure it isnt just the muffler?

Comment

Originally posted by godlessdustin View Post
            Thanks. I was thinking about it over dinner and remembered the part that said 3"in, I figured I'd need something to adapt the factory pipe to the new system. You confirmed it for me. That puts the project out of my price range for right now.
            you can buy an exhaust adapter for about $5 at the parts store

Comment

You could sell those rims and buy a chrome stock set I have... :D

Comment

sound is something else to consider, I'm assuming you have a V6? That SLP loudmouth is going to sound horrible on the freeway.

It sucks to have something weled up at the shop and then you drive home wishing you hadn't done it. Trust me it's happened lol.
                1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
                1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
                2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by bigairboarder44 View Post
                  You could sell those rims and buy a chrome stock set I have... :D
                  <.< how much.... I wanna get rid of my nasty *** black ones.

Comment

Yes it is a v6 but I'm mostly wanting something that looks better. The stock muffler and pipe is just nasty looking to me. The guy at the muffler shop said he could put a z28 muffler on it for me with some chrome tips but it would cost a couple hundred.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X