v8 muffler on v6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v8 muffler on v6?

I know I can fit the v8 muffler on a v6 especialyl because I'm fabricating the exhaust I have a spare v8 magnaflow catback from my ws6 will the muffler sound bad on my v6 3800?

Re: v8 muffler on v6?

I run a WS6 muffler and it sounds good IMO. It isnt very loud at idle, but it has that V6 scream when you go WOT. It isnt too raspy, but of course there is some rasp. I run headers, 3" cutout (in place of cat), 3" s-pipe, and 2.75 WS6 exhaust the rest of the way.

Comment

I have an lt1 replacement muffler 2.5" It sounds really good WOT. Very quiet at idle like skimphish said.

No rasp WOT but rasps when revving in park/nuetral. Most will tell you its nearly the best sound for these v6's.
      -Jarred '70 Pontiac LeMans | '89 Firebird Formula 350

Comment

I have headers, custom Y pipe, to 2.75 piping Z28 catback and mine rasps a little bit above 3k but it is totally driveable, I had true duals on it before and I couldn't stand it.

I might add a resonator where the cat goes on the I pipe to rid myself of the rasp.

Whether it sounds good or bad is up to you; I like it IMO.
        1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
        1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
        1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
        2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

It seems to be a consensus that you're going to have some kind of rasp with a stock engine.

I know its not well liked on here but I have a Flowmaster 80 series and it sounds mean until about 3K.
          In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
          2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

Originally posted by truekoa View Post
            I have headers, custom Y pipe, to 2.75 piping Z28 catback and mine rasps a little bit above 3k but it is totally driveable, I had true duals on it before and I couldn't stand it.

I might add a resonator where the cat goes on the I pipe to rid myself of the rasp.

Whether it sounds good or bad is up to you; I like it IMO.
            Oh, why didn't you just stay with the true dual? Is it because it's too loud? Don't you gain more hp with it?

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

3" Borla with Pacesetter headers and no cat. Stock motor on the bottle during the run.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb7Nrhb2iAo
              sigpic

Comment

i have stock headers through no cat to a flowmaster 40 series...sounds good until about 3200rpm then gets that terrible rasp. thinking of puttin a high flow cat in...

Comment

Usually a hi-flow cat wont make a world of a difference. The flowmasters just tend to have more rasp than anything else. You can always put a resonator somewhere in there, and that will help cut down on rasp.

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Thor View Post
                    Oh, why didn't you just stay with the true dual? Is it because it's too loud? Don't you gain more hp with it?
                    It was just right IMO but still extremely loud. I think what got to me was the droning, every thing would rattle and move around; I had the mufflers dumped before the axle so maybe if you had pipes all the way out the back it would be somewhat better. but I had literally NO RASP, it just droned way more in the higher RPMs.

However when I put the stock exhaust back on I felt a difference in acceleration, I couldn't hear the exhaust much anymore but my acceleration did seem to be better, back pressure maybe?

Could just be me. I have no idea about HP, never had the car dynoed but I assume you would pick up more.
                    1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                    1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
                    1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
                    2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

ou'll love the resonater I suggested , mine straight throw with the 3" Dynomax bullet race muffler before the exhaust , with RK Sport headers , dumped 3" before the axle with a 3" turn down and it sounds outstanding , like a V8 , but soon will be quiet like a V6 again when the turbo goes on. LOL Good Luck. S.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                        ou'll love the resonater I suggested , mine straight throw with the 3" Dynomax bullet race muffler before the exhaust , with RK Sport headers , dumped 3" before the axle with a 3" turn down and it sounds outstanding , like a V8 , but soon will be quiet like a V6 again when the turbo goes on. LOL Good Luck. S.
                        I seriously wonder if people who say "my V6 sounds like a V8" have ever heard a V8 in person... We are missing 2 cylinders, our cars will NEVER sound like a V8. There is nothing wrong with a V6 sound, but it will never be a V8 sound. I will guarantee you that a V6 will never sound like my 64.5 289 Mustang with straight duals, nor will a V6 ever sound like a LS1 that has the exact same exhaust system as the V6.

Comment

Originally posted by skimphish View Post
                          I seriously wonder if people who say "my V6 sounds like a V8" have ever heard a V8 in person... We are missing 2 cylinders, our cars will NEVER sound like a V8. There is nothing wrong with a V6 sound, but it will never be a V8 sound. I will guarantee you that a V6 will never sound like my 64.5 289 Mustang with straight duals, nor will a V6 ever sound like a LS1 that has the exact same exhaust system as the V6.
                          Your right it won't sound like a V8 , but who needs a V8 sound, when you can add a turbo to most vehicles and make the same power and the exhaust note can be quiet except for the nice sound of a spooling turbo. LOL S. Look at the little 4 CYL. turbos running faster than V8's, even on the street if setup right.
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Well no doubt certain turbo cars can out run V8s. When I had my turbo on my Camaro I could out run bolt on LS1's. But you are still comparing apples to elephants. A stock car is going to sound way different than a FI car. Slap a turbo on a V8 and it is nearly an orgasmic sound. I loved the sound of my turbo v6, but it cant be compared to a turbo V8. This for instance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RVcAcf9xHs

Comment

I'm saying , if you want a gas hog then its up to you , I would rather have a 4-6 Cyl. and turbo or a HYbrid, V8 with Varibale valve timing than a gas hog ETC. NEED TO SAVE THE EARTH S.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X