Wanting a better exhaust sound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting a better exhaust sound.

So i was running with the stock catelatic converter and a flowmaster 80 series dual muffler with rectangle chrome tips and it sounded ok but not loud. then my cateletic converter got clogged so i just deleted and it made the car MUCH louder. (But every once awhile it will squeek when its about to shift.) I was told it was going to do this but how can i fix this without putting another cateletic converter back in?? Is their a better muffler? Do the rectangle tips make a difference? Any advice will help thank you.

Re: Wanting a better exhaust sound.

you could try a free flow cat such as a CATCO. But as far as the muffler goes SLP loud mouth is a good one also I have heard good things about MAGNAFLOW and BORLA

Comment

I have used the Magnaflow and it sounds awesome.

Comment

I have a magnaflow high flow cat with full 3" SLP loudmouth and it is loud. it sounds great at idle but on the highway you will not be able to have a conversation with a passanger. Up until about 3500 rpms or so it does sound great, just very very loud. At ilde it sounds very close to a V8, enough so that someone who has never heard an LS1 will think that it is. Ive had mustang GTs refuse to mess with me because they said "it sounded like my v8 had too much work done and I would smoke them". I did just order a pair of dynomax ultraflows and once I get them on i'll let you know how they sound.

Comment

nothing sounds better on these cars than a true dual set up hands down

Comment

Get a borla xr-1 muffler dumped before the rear axle if your not looking to spend alot of money, even a borla single, dual out muffler will make it sound better.

If you're loaded go with a true dual set up with an H or X pipe, dual dynomax or borla bullet mufflers will make it sound great.

having headers with any of those combination will make it sound even better.
            1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
            1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
            1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
            2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by truekoa View Post
              If you're loaded
              You haven't been keeping up with Unique's threads have ya?

The dynomax super turbo is supposedly pretty good too. I've got dynomax race bullets going on my TD's soon.

Comment

Originally posted by bigairboarder44 View Post
                You haven't been keeping up with Unique's threads have ya?

The dynomax super turbo is supposedly pretty good too. I've got dynomax race bullets going on my TD's soon.
                haha dang.

I've got dynomax bullets on my TD, Im not sure if theyre the race ones though.

unique, I have my borla xr1, its the oval case 3in 3out that I don't need anymore. Its pretty beat up though. Let me know if you're interested.
                1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
                1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
                2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

It might be a little beat up, but it still has a million mile warranty on it.
                  1997 Chevrolet Camaro
                  L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

queue team superturbo muffler....haha. steve?

unique, i know you get a lot of grief around here bro, but as a former flowmaster owner, i'll tell ya straight --- it's time for an upgrade. i had intake, a hi-flow cat, flowmaster catback, and stainless z28 tips for the longest time and got my use out of it --- but there are much better sounding setups to be had. sure, it sounded great at idle, but at WOT it was like a blender full of angry hornets.

first, save up for a decent setup. don't cheap out and hope for great results with your exhaust. your best bet is to get a decent carsound, catco, or another reliable high flow cat, then upgrade your catback to a full 2.5 or 3 inch system. look into buying a muffler and have an exhaust shop fab up the rest from there to save some coin, and there are plenty of guys on the boards here with spare mufflers and even catbacks laying around.

work your way up to headers and full exhaust to really make the best of the situation, and if you're looking for something that will rattle your internal organs, save up for an electric cutout and have some fun with it.

what's your spending limit on exhaust? give us some numbers to work with and we can help you come up with the best bang for your buck.
                    pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                    gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

oh, and needless to say, BORLA ftw! :D
                      pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                      gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Originally posted by BallerMaro13 View Post
                        oh, and needless to say, BORLA ftw! :D
                        yessir, thread can end now lol

Comment

Originally posted by Unique96Camaro View Post
                          (But every once awhile it will squeek when its about to shift.) Any advice will help thank you.
                          Might want to check your muffler bearings; sounds like they might be going out.

I have always preferred larger bore exhaust tips. It usually gives you a little throatier sound. Ive had a few different pairs on mine, but this is with 3" in 4" out rolled tips with resonators by hooker. Sorry, no sound clip.

Comment

X3 Borla, with corsa clones.

Comment

save your money for a while, invest in a good exhaust headers on back.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                              http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                              Or this

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X