Need a new intake for my 96'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new intake for my 96'

First things first, every time I get a new car, the very first thing I try to do is uncork the intake, then the exhaust.
    I'm having a bit of trouble finding what I'm looking for - a true cold air intake kit or a functional ram air kit for a 96' 3800. Apparently, my intake / route is different than the 98'+ cars - those seem to have similar looking airboxes/lids as the LS1 cars, whereas mine is angled down behind the driver side headlight... can I remove the entire intake up to the throttle body and install a 98'+ style intake/airbox?
    Or is there a "kit" out there that is the best/simplest route? I usually just buy K&N aircharger/filtercharger kits for my cars, but unless I seen the wrong thing, K&N's version for my car isn't much different than the stocker - yes it will add air, but it'll still be warm air.

What I'd like to do is buy a SS style hood with functional ram air ... is this possible?
    I notice a lot of these kits for the LT1 will also fit the 3.4, why won't it fit the 3.8?

So far, this is the only solution I have found:
    http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...roducts_id=519
    But again, it'll be drawing warm air from inside the engine bay... perhaps I could route a custom air dam to it??

Thanx for all help and suggestions!

Re: Need a new intake for my 96'

The SLP intake is a good item, but it's expensive. Its what I'm running. If you don't want to spend a bunch of $$ you should just make your own and run it where the SLP one goes, right in front of the driver side wheel. You could also look on ebay, they have all kinds of cold air kits.
    Last edited by espey_16; 04-30-2010, 04:26 PM.
    1997 Chevrolet Camaro
    L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

I got the K&N FIPK kit and it works great on my 97 camaro. It had to slightly modify it because it wasn't made for my year of style of camaro but if you buy a rubber elbow to come off the throttle body it works perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Damascus View Post
        First things first, every time I get a new car, the very first thing I try to do is uncork the intake, then the exhaust.
        I'm having a bit of trouble finding what I'm looking for - a true cold air intake kit or a functional ram air kit for a 96' 3800. Apparently, my intake / route is different than the 98'+ cars - those seem to have similar looking airboxes/lids as the LS1 cars, whereas mine is angled down behind the driver side headlight... can I remove the entire intake up to the throttle body and install a 98'+ style intake/airbox?
        No. The 98+ was a drive-by-wire, your '96 is mechanical TB. Best you can do is cut a hole under the drivers side plastic on the front bumper cover, just below the filter box. Im not sure about the 97 or older, but I know the 98+ that plastic on the bottom is creased and hinged for taking out the corner light. If you were to remove that piece of creased plastic, it would open up a little more for better airflow.

As for an FIPK or something of that nature, just make one. Ive seen PVC that look better than something K&N could offer. If you want looks and pretty, but the K&N, if you want functionality, make one from scratch.
        1995 Pontiac Firebird
        2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

you can get a 98+ style and just run piping up to the lid from your tb like this https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_...=319&catid=113

Comment

Originally posted by bwkmaro View Post
            you can get a 98+ style and just run piping up to the lid from your tb like this https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_...=319&catid=113

That's a good idea... so if I bought a 93' - 97' SS Ram Air hood, it would be blowing the outside air right down on the front/center of the engine bay - behind the center of the radiator, yes? If I ran tubing from there over to my filter, on the driver side, would the tubing be crushed when I closed the hood?
            Totally sucks that they didn't make any 93' - 97' Ram Air LT1's with the airbox over on the side like mine is :(
            I bought a Ram Air hood for my 89' Mustang 5.0, which has the air channel from the center where the scoop is over to the front passenger side of the engine bay, almost the exact opposite from how my Camaro is... wish I could find a custom hood that was made this way for a Camaro...

EDIT:
            Whoa.... I was just browing around, and found this 96' Z28 for sale, same year and everything as my car, same wheels, etc, but V8 LT1 6 speed... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...item20b0a44bda
            If you look at the photo of the engine bay, you'll see that the conical air filter is in the exact same location as my 3800's is! Now, why couldn't I buy a RamAir hood and matching airbox for a 96' LT1 and fit it to my engine??
            I don't mind modding/fabricating things, although I can't do a lot, as I am limited on machining equipment to use.
            Did Chevy offer an SS model in 96'?
            Last edited by Damascus; 05-01-2010, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X