makes noise at high rpm and will not reach redline - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

makes noise at high rpm and will not reach redline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• makes noise at high rpm and will not reach redline

just bought my 2000 camaro and it will not reach the red line while floored. a can stand on the throttle and it will not go above 4500. i looked under the car at the exhaust and noticed the exit of the cat is a bit small compared to the stock exhaust system (maybe 2 inches wide or smaller). also makes a noise like a whistle above 4200 rpm. does not sound like a bearing. more of a whistle and not a squeal. any help on if the problem is with the exhaust or could it be something else and is a whistle from the stock intake system normal?

Re: makes noise at high rpm and will not reach redline

so im guessing nobody has a clue whats going on with my car.

Comment

does the car still have the stock cat? is it throwing any codes (ses light on?)

Comment

no i think the cat has been replaced. no codes.

Comment

i would have the car scanned anyways just to make sure, as some wont light up the ses light, or that light could be out. Sounds to me like a clogged cat. Drive it around and get it up to temp then check to see if the cat is glowing or gives off more heat then the surrounding pipe. Im really surprised no codes are being thrown.

Comment

ill have to barrow my brothers scanner to see if any codes are popping up. my dad has the same engine in his car and already had his cat replaced as a recall. his car is a 01 grand prix. thanks for the help.

Comment

I just have to ask, are you flooring it in park? Cause there is a rev limiter that stock stops at 4500-4800 if your in park or neutral

Comment

thanks i didn't know that but still in gear it wont go past 5000.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X