Exhaust sputter problem... NEED HELP! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exhaust sputter problem... NEED HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust sputter problem... NEED HELP!

I've just recently noticed my car wants to sputter/ backfire when i'm driving. There's no problems on startup and revs up to about 2k, but once i hit between 2300-2500 rpms the exhaust begins to sputter and the car shudders. I just had my spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, and an oil change done today and i still notice the problem. Is there a possible clogged CAT? A recent mod i've done was the pvc mod with the shaved air lid, could any of those have affected the enging causing the sputtering?

Re: Exhaust sputter problem... NEED HELP!

I would say one of your spark plug wires is arching or isn't on all the way. I would take it back to where you had it done and let them fix it, but it should be a plug wire. If they try to tell you diffferent there just trying to get more money out of you. I would buy a Haynes manual and start doing the easy maintance stuff yourself, you'll learn more about it and save alot of money.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Well even before i had the wires changed i noticed this problem. Today i went to an exhaust shop and they said my CAT backpressure was good and all of my o2 sensors were reading properly. I'm at a loss of what else could be the problem.

Comment

Holy crap, I ran into this problem in high school auto, a buddy of mine with a 3.4 Manual had this exact issue. We never resolved it (its HS auto and we had a week to do it.)
        Changed the fuel pump, no difference, even the muffler fell off and it still did it. That was as far as we got.

Comment

damn, so has he ever fixed it since high school? i can't give up after a week haha.

Comment

Well, I havent really talked to him since. I could give him a call though.

I want to say that its not a sensor, because every scan tool we hooked up showed everything was reading right. BUT DONT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. Never believe in a scan tool, its helpful to guide your diag, but its bad practice to believe in it as law.

Comment

yea i already had the o2's scanned and were told they're working fine so i need to find a mechanic who knows what he's doing or find somebody else with the problem that actually fixed it. I remember though when i stored my car over winter i put Sta-bil in and the car ran kinda rough after i let it sit for a few minutes after adding the stuff. i'm wondering if maybe i just need to run a few tanks of gas through the car to be totally rid of the sta-bil or if it's something bigger.

Comment

The thing I find frustrating about forum-diagnosing is its purely third party. I'd love to get my hands on your car and start testing! I've got ideas, but its not practical to try over a forum. Sorry, but best bet is a shop. Plus you get a warranty! Hopefully..

Man, I get excited fixing other peoples stuff, but I pissed away time putting my engine in today. 5 HOURS to get it in and transmission hooked up and get it ready for a radiator.

Comment

UPDATE for anyone that cares lol, I finally got an SES light and autozone told me i had a p0305 code ie cylinder 5 misfire. Now i just gotta figure out where to go from here in diagnosing what's causing the misfire issue.

Comment

what year car do you have?

Coil pack maybe?

Comment

I had this problem minus the backfiring. mine was cylinder 3 misfire. I started with the plugs and wires. it ended up being the coil pack. I needed to change the plugs anyway and glad I did. I found 2 of the plugs wasn't tightened at all. turned them a couple of times by finger and they fell out. that is what probably caused the coil pack to go bad. I assume whoever changed the plugs before I got the car had hell getting into the tight spots like I did but you have to make sure you get those plugs tight enough to stay in.

Comment

Well were both plugs on the coil pack misfiring or only 3? I was told if the coil pack fails both terminals fail?

Comment

throttle position sensor.

Comment

Where abouts is the TPS located?

Comment

this.

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/product_...d/ec3045-1.jpg

Sometimes they go out and at certain times throughout the throttle range. it will send the wrong parameters to the ecm and cause the car to have incorrect fuel mixture and cause it to (miss, bog down,lose power, and wanna stall)

Its on the throttle body. on the left side.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X