EGR valve replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR valve replacement

So our mechanic told use that we need a new EGR valve after doing computer diagnostics since engine light was on. It is 95 Camaro 3.4 engine.
    It seems a fairly straightforward job. Two bolts, replace gasket and bolt new one on.
    My question is if any particular brand is recommended. I checked rock auto parts (is this a good parts store) and they range from 90 to 200 depending on brand. Is it worth to pay the extra money and get a more expensive one?
    Also, any tips for the job or is it as straightforward as I mentioned above?

Thanks
    Roman

Re: EGR valve replacement

me, personally i would just get the cheapest one, the EGR doesnt do much other than open and close a small valve, and since it is pretty accesable, i would rather buy two $90 egr's in 100,000 miles, than one $180 EGR in 100,000 miles... seems like less of a chunk of money

Comment

get the cheapest used one you can find, keeping in mind that it probably isn't the DIGITAL EGR that's bad at all, but rather the EGR PASSAGE that is clogged keeping the EGR from functioning properly.

take that for what it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
        get the cheapest used one you can find, keeping in mind that it probably isn't the DIGITAL EGR that's bad at all, but rather the EGR PASSAGE that is clogged keeping the EGR from functioning properly.

take that for what it's worth.
        did the 3.4's use digital egr's?

i thought they used the diaphram type

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
          did the 3.4's use digital egr's?

i thought they used the diaphram type
          the Digital part of the EGR is the part that opens/closes the pintles. The tube leading to the upper intake usually gets clogged which causes the EGR to malfunction and throw a code. This isn't the case 100% of the time, but seems to be the majority.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. i will opt for a cheaper one. I have noticed that the car runs a little hot while idling. I read somewhere that this can be due to a bad EGR valve. Is this true? I recently had a thermostat replaced, but if that was faulty, I would think it would overheat more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by bohemianpasha View Post
              Thanks for all the input. i will opt for a cheaper one. I have noticed that the car runs a little hot while idling. I read somewhere that this can be due to a bad EGR valve. Is this true? I recently had a thermostat replaced, but if that was faulty, I would think it would overheat more than that.
              how hot does it run?

when my EGR was bad, i didnt notice anything wrong, other than the SES light when i engine brakes

Comment

egr won't affect your engine temps, especially at idle.

you have something else wrong, and keep in mind that these temp gauges are not always very accurate. Mine is off by 25* F and i can prove it. I used to think it was overheating all the time and it was just getting up to operating temps.

Comment

you have something else wrong, and keep in mind that these temp gauges are not always very accurate. Mine is off by 25* F and i can prove it. I used to think it was overheating all the time and it was just getting up to operating temps.
                  yeah, mine is off about 20F, but in the opposite way, operating temp on my car according to the gauge is around 175F, even though the OBDII port says it is running around 200 or so

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will go ahead replace it because it needs to be replaced but it is good to know that it is not what 'may" be causing the increased temperature. As long as it doesn't overheat. It just gets pretty high but not near the red, so it should be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by bohemianpasha View Post
                      Thanks for the info. I will go ahead replace it because it needs to be replaced but it is good to know that it is not what 'may" be causing the increased temperature. As long as it doesn't overheat. It just gets pretty high but not near the red, so it should be OK.
                      are you sure your thermostat isnt bad?

my thermostat started getting stuck shut, but after i changed it out, my temp gauge is over 10F cooler than it was with the old thermo (they are both 195F)

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                        are you sure your thermostat isnt bad?

my thermostat started getting stuck shut, but after i changed it out, my temp gauge is over 10F cooler than it was with the old thermo (they are both 195F)
                        The shop put new one in, but it is possible it is defective. It does take a while for the car to heat up, which would signal a open thermostat.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X