Magnaflow cat back... Does it drone? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magnaflow cat back... Does it drone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnaflow cat back... Does it drone?

Ordered the Magnaflow cat back exhaust for the V6:

I read where this is a fairly tame exhaust, and I am not looking for something loud at all. I need a mild sounding exhaust.

With the 3.73 rear gears, the engine turns 2500 rpm at 70 mph. Will the Magnaflow drone at that engine speed?

Re: Magnaflow cat back... Does it drone?

i don't have that exact set-up, but i do have a magnaflow high-flow cat and a magnaflow muffler. i used 2.5" pipe with dual 2.5" tips. i also have pacesetter headers.

i love the sound of the magnaflow. i didn't want something very loud (3.8L after all) but i wanted a good tone and rumble when needed. i think it's great! it definetely has it's own sound. it's not raspy or loud or over-the-top.

i think you'll be pretty happy with it.

Comment

I wouldnt buy for sound, cause you are never going to get it. I would go for performance, but the borla has the best sound for the 3.8.

Comment

Originally posted by Watazz View Post
        I wouldnt buy for sound, cause you are never going to get it. I would go for performance, but the borla has the best sound for the 3.8.
        I've read where the Borla is probably the best exhaust. But its louder than I want, and way out of my budget (about $800.) The Magnaflow is also 304 stainless, claims a 10% hp increase, has a lifetime warranty, and I only paid $297 for it shipped. Actually, the Magnaflow is always listed at $449, but I found a "make an offer" retailer that accepted my offer. At that price, I couldn't pass it up.

BTW, I spoke with a magnaflow rep today, and asked specifically for the dyno results from a 3.8 Fbody. They said they would check and email me the dyno sheet. Haven't got anything yet. Not going to hold my breath.

Comment

No drone for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark42 View Post
            I've read where the Borla is probably the best exhaust. But its louder than I want, and way out of my budget (about $800.) The Magnaflow is also 304 stainless, claims a 10% hp increase, has a lifetime warranty, and I only paid $297 for it shipped. Actually, the Magnaflow is always listed at $449, but I found a "make an offer" retailer that accepted my offer. At that price, I couldn't pass it up.

BTW, I spoke with a magnaflow rep today, and asked specifically for the dyno results from a 3.8 Fbody. They said they would check and email me the dyno sheet. Haven't got anything yet. Not going to hold my breath.
            you've certainly read correctly --- borla > all :D

it is definitely expensive unless you go with a bullet style setup and fab up your piping, but yes the full deal will cost you quite a few pretty pennies. I considered that exact catback when i was looking to upgrade from flowmaster and complete my exhaust, but i wanted something aggressive and didn't want to have a change of heart and want to redo down the road, so i shot for the very top. to me, the magnaflow sounds too tame, definitely a "mellow" exhaust, which should actually be right up your alley for what you seem to need.

as far as sound, i had my headers and full borla 3" exhaust without a cutout at first and it actually was TOO quiet for my taste --- my flowmaster catback with stock piping was much louder by comparison, but the borla was waaaay smoother, deeper, and not raspy. i woke things up with my electric cutout and couldn't be happier with the results --- it sounds deep, loud, and mean just like i wanted. listen for yourself...

idle (camera sound quality doesn't do it justice): http://s552.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=DSCF0219.flv
            pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
            gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

If your looking for sound just get a 3 inch dynomax and the 3 inch intermediate from summit, custom fab the s pipe and call it a day. Def wount be $800. Piping like 120 and whatever a dynomax cost. And then get your tips. But from what i hear i believe you will be happy with the magnaflow. However that stainless piping is quite heavy.

Comment

I can't believe how quiet the Magnaflow catback is compared to yours baller. Is that video with the cutout open or closed? In any case, that is much louder than mine, even if your's is taped in a garage.;)

Comment

Originally posted by Watazz View Post
                  ..... However that stainless piping is quite heavy.
                  I would expect it to be a little heavier than the OEM 2.25" just because its larger diameter, and it should also be lighter than a 3". Typically stainless pipes are a lighter gauge than their steel/aluminized counterparts because they won't corrode nearly as fast as regular steel. Which is why nearly all muffler shops don't/can't bend stainless tubing. Its too thin to be bent without a mandrel, it just collapses rather than bending. That is also why there are stainless universal kits that come with all the pipe mandrel bent, then it is cut and welded up. No bending involved.

If it is a heavier system than I'm replacing, it won't matter much to me. Just looking for a couple of HP, a nice sound, and maybe 1 or 2 more mpg.

If I get all that I expect out of the system, I'll be so excited I might just crap myself! :D

Comment

Where did you find that deal? I've been on the fence about picking up a Magnaflow for a little while now, but for that price I might finally bite.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dave521 View Post
                      Where did you find that deal? I've been on the fence about picking up a Magnaflow for a little while now, but for that price I might finally bite.
                      First I found banditexhaust.com and took the make an offer option. Offered 300 and they came back w/296. But when I sent an email about the phone number not working for me, I got a response just saying "the phone works". I asked for another number and got no response. So I went looking some more and found wundercarparts.com and sent them an email offering that if they matched the $296 offer, I would buy from them. They agreed (but I had to send them the $296 email response from banditexhaust). Called and Brad answered the phone right away and talked me through the "make an offer" setup to get the matched price. You can also find wundercarparts.com on ebay, but I didn't go through ebay.

Either place should give you that exhaust at about $300 shipped.
                      Last edited by Mark42; 02-18-2010, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Look what came today:

I think Watazz is right about these pipes being heavy. They seem to be much thicker stainless than the factory pipes. I'll have to compare when I install, but judging from the parts in the box, they seem very stout.

BTW, the internal layout of the muffler (one 2.5" in, and two 2.5" out) is a V shape. Two perforated pipes are joined together at the inlet, and then go at a slight angle to the two outlets. So you can see right through the muffler, you just have to look a little at an angle to see down each leg. Its much better than I had imagined.

Woo Hoo! :banana:

Comment

I remember when I got mine in. These pics are making me giddy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                            Hello everyone!
                            by Andy H
                            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                            4 weeks ago
                          • 3.4 slow to go
                            hey there strangers!
                            by 3.4 slow to go
                            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                            4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X