3inch to 2.5 tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3inch to 2.5 tips

so is going with a full 3 inch as opposed to having 3 inch intermediate with 2.5 out of the muffler going to make a different?

Re: 3inch to 2.5 tips

Nope.
    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

if your making every 3" then have 3" muffler as well. Your bottlenecking your exhaust. If your getting 2.5 inch muffler, then just get all 2.5" piping. id say all 3" or GTFO

Comment

the I/D on the muffler is a 3 i think, the O/D is a 2.5. Flowmaster doesnt make a transverse muffler with 3 in O/D, i dont think.

Comment

Originally posted by whitdog54 View Post
          id say all 3" or GTFO
          hells yes whoa :D
          pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
          gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Originally posted by Watazz View Post
            the I/D on the muffler is a 3 i think, the O/D is a 2.5. Flowmaster doesnt make a transverse muffler with 3 in O/D, i dont think.
            if flowmaster doesnt make a 3" O/D then I would not recommend buying their products. I would go with a turbo muffler or borla.

Comment

Originally posted by whitdog54 View Post
              if your making every 3" then have 3" muffler as well. Your bottlenecking your exhaust. If your getting 2.5 inch muffler, then just get all 2.5" piping. id say all 3" or GTFO
              X2, I went from stock pipping to 3" but I also added the RK headers at the same time, the guy at the exhaust shop was all for going with 3" pipping, said why not do it right the first time so you don't come back in 6 months to a year and upgrade. But I had already told him I was going to be running a Supercharger at the time. But having the exhaust before the muffler took off about 30-40lbs at least.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

so what size is the original size on it

Comment

Originally posted by jason8900 View Post
                  so what size is the original size on it
                  Stock piping is 2.25 inch.
                  sigpic
                  1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                  1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                  --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

if you want the flowmaster, i don't think having a full 3" in and the 2.5" out is going to make a difference. your running duals out of the muffler right? if so, i say your fine.

Comment

yea running duals out. I dont think its going to make a difference, besides in the sound. Going from 3 inch to 2.5 tips seems to have less rasp.

Comment

It will make no difference. 3" into the muffler with 2.5" out is a common performance setup. The 3" in pipe has 7.06 square inches of flow area, the combined 2.5" output pipes have 9.8 square inches of flow area. So there is more output area than input as it is. Going to 3" output pipes will show no improvement in flow.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark42 View Post
                          It will make no difference. 3" into the muffler with 2.5" out is a common performance setup. The 3" in pipe has 7.06 square inches of flow area, the combined 2.5" output pipes have 9.8 square inches of flow area. So there is more output area than input as it is. Going to 3" output pipes will show no improvement in flow.
                          so your saying dual out 2.5 pipes has more flow area then 3" dual out? lol na, dont think so. plus it doesnt matter if its dual outs or not, its a y pipe set up so duals over single out will show almost no differnce.

Go 2.5 inch, in a couple year you will be mad you did, especially if you have future mod plans. So far people with just full bolt-ons and people with FI are telling you to go all 3". your gonna get rasp no matter what with flowmaster especailly at WOT.
                          Last edited by whitdog54; 02-18-2010, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark42
                            Originally posted by whitdog54
                            so your saying dual out 2.5 pipes has more flow area then 3" dual out? lol na, dont think so.
                            that is not what he is saying. he's comparing a single 3" pipe cross-sectional area to a dual 2.5" pipe cross-sectional area.
                            Last edited by checkbit; 02-18-2010, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by checkbit View Post
                              that is not what he is saying. he's comparing a single 3" pipe cross-sectional area to a dual 2.5" pipe cross-sectional area.
                              why would you compare this? Im very confused why we are comparing 3" single to 2.5" double

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                4 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X