cat back or muffler and pipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cat back or muffler and pipes?

ok so the original plan was to buy a new 2.5 high flow cat and run 2.5 all the way to the magnaflow, add some tips and done.

however i stopped by a muffler shop today to ask how much just to swap my single tip muffler out to my magnaflow and add a couple tips. price $150

so as much as i want to do all of the original work, cash is a little tighter than id like and i was hoping to escape (for now) with just a quick swap. worth it to go ahead and do this now? stock piping is 2.5 correct? replacing with 2.5 aftermarket shouldnt make to much difference im guessing. the major variable is the high flow cat.

i need input on this guys as i have an appointment for 8am tomorrow.

Re: cat back or muffler and pipes?

I wouldn't pay $150 for just adding a muffler and tips, find another place or a independant welder.
    Last edited by ssms5411; 02-11-2010, 04:08 PM.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

from what he was talking he thought he may need to cut the s pipe going into the stock muffler so he could fit the magnaflow in. see $150 sounded reasonable to me. monroe was talking $250-$300.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
        I would pay $150 for just adding a muffler and tips, find another place or a independant welder.
        im guessing you meant wouldnt...right?

Comment

Yes , that a negative.LOL
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I thought stock piping was 2.25?

Are you supplying the piping and muffler?
            1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
            1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
            1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
            2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

all i have is the muffler. he said he was going to weld everything. he does do good work had some stuff done there before.

Comment

like koa said, stock is 2.25"

Comment

Stock is 2.25" but they can expand the pipping to 2.5" if they need to. I know my first muffler on my car they had to expand the pipe since I kept the stock pipping back in 1996. LOL

Comment

ok so how much of a difference in performance is there from 2.25 to 2.5? would i notice any at all?

Comment

IF the rest or your exhaust is 2.25 then it will be only as effiecent as the smallest exhaust you have running. It may change the sound having the muffler but as for gains not too much. But if you did 2.5" all the way back you would notice some gain. Then even more with headers.

Comment

ok with my budget i dont know if i can do all that now. i can always go back and switch it up though. right? i should notice something i hope! lol anything even a 1 hp gain is something. i doubt id notice that though.

Comment

you most likely wont notice any gains if all youre doing is changing the muffler. all youd really see change is the exhaust note, which wouldnt change that much.

Comment

so it will be slightly louder. thats it huh? kinda disappointed lol.

now im wondering if its even worth it to bother doing. the gain is a louder muffler with two outlets. no performance.

ok then.

Comment

If they did your whole piping with 2.5" you would be better off, I would just get a qoute to do it all at one time and just wait until you have the money. Thats what I would do anyways, would save you an extra trip, it's your car though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X