Going to pull the trigger on duals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to pull the trigger on duals

Here's the deal: I plan on ordering pipes, and H-pipe kit, 2 mufflers, and some exhaust hangers. I'm going to fab this up myself. No cats and it will be dumped before the real axle with turdowns.

I have some questions before i order anything.

1. I was going to go with 2.25" piping but decided 2.5" strictly for sound quality. Does 2.5" sound a lot better than 2.25" or should i save my money and just buy the 2.25

2. I will be going with an H-pipe design, so i wondered if anybody had any idea what would be the best spot for the H-pipe (for sound quality) like closer to my headers or farther away.

3. How long should the H-pipe be from pipe to pipe? Longer? Shorter? does this affect sound quality?

4. Will Cheap summit turbo mufflers sound fine? I was looking at their chambered design, and i wondered which would sound better. )turbo or chambered) I'm doing this in a cheapo budget so i just want to go with the $20 mufflers for now :o so any opinions are welcome.

With a 10% discount coupon from Summit the grand total is $150...not to bad

I'm probably going to be ordering it soon, but won't start until after christmas, because i think we're getting a MIG welder. ( i have an arc welder but i am learning to MIG at school.)

THANKS!
    Last edited by crazytrain65; 12-01-2009, 10:23 PM.
    auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
    15.11@91.14
    Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Re: Going to pull the trigger on duals

go with 2.25 in exhaust pipe 2.5 is overdoin it you can save allitle there, if anything it will keep help allitle with the raspyness. Im in the middle of this too i have a h pipe as well but im goin with borla xr1's. Are you goint to use cats? and are you going to dump it or run it all the way back mine is going all the way back.

Comment

Sorry, i will update my main post and do some more details. No cats will be used and dumped before the rear axle
      auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
      15.11@91.14
      Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

definitely 2.25 piping and xr-1 bullets is what you need.

if you ran it all the way back, dual electric cutouts and some polished tips would be nasty :naughty:
        pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
        gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Originally posted by BallerMaro13 View Post
          definitely 2.25 piping and xr-1 bullets is what you need.

if you ran it all the way back, dual electric cutouts and some polished tips would be nasty :naughty:
          i would def. use borlas if i had the money. but the only reason i thought 2.5" piping was because i might put a cam in it next year.

New Time:
          15.11@91.14
          Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

borlas would have the best sound quality IMO and they have a good rep for performance as well. ever since i heard that cammed maro on youtube with true duals using h-pipe and borla xr-1 mufflers thats what ive wanted to do. by far the best sounding v6 ever.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by firebirddrvr View Post
              borlas would have the best sound quality IMO and they have a good rep for performance as well. ever since i heard that cammed maro on youtube with true duals using h-pipe and borla xr-1 mufflers thats what ive wanted to do. by far the best sounding v6 ever.

agreed! his is amazing. but I'm liking my $150 price tag instead of about $300 with borlas

New Time:
              15.11@91.14
              Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

well the cost of mine total was 110 for just the piping, 150 for each muffler, 45 for each cat, 80 for exhaust tips, and that dosnt incude the pipe bending and welding. and forgot 30 dollars for the h pipe.

Comment

I plan on using my pacesetter y pipe and cutting it up to attach to the headers. And i dont use cats and im just gonna get some cheap turndowns. And me welding it up myself with my dad will help a lot.

New Time:
                  15.11@91.14
                  Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

yea that will save u alot. do u know if the stock y-pipe would work just for the ball joint to the headers, because i sold my pacesetter y pipe?

Comment

I would think so. That's what I plan on using

New Time:
                      15.11@91.14
                      Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

i think my cherry bomb turbo mufflers x-pipe setup sounds great.

Just remember you need to use very thin mufflers so you have the maximum amount of clearance. xr1s are rather big
                        Last edited by Meatyshells; 12-02-2009, 03:35 PM.

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells View Post

Just remember you need to use very thin mufflers so you have the maximum amount of clearance. xr1s are rather big
                          do you have a sound clip anywhere

New Time:
                          15.11@91.14
                          Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells View Post

just checked out those cherry bombs. Same price as the Summit turbos, and a lot thinner. I may go with them :stp:

New Time:
                            15.11@91.14
                            Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

what about pricing on those cherry bombs? the same?
                              1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                              1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
                              1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
                              2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X