clogged cat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clogged cat?

I recently had an exhaust leak, lots of sputtering and popping but still nice and loud. I tracked it down to the bolts on the ypipe that meets the headers so I tightened them, exhaust leak gone.

I take the car out for a drive and the exhaust is DEAD silent, even on hard acceleration, its not that its quiet its more like its being held back. And of course under load I get that dreadful popping and sputtering.

My current exhaust set up is pacesetter headers and ypipe, dynomax hi flow cat, borla xr-1 dumped before the rear axle.

My plugs are new and look clean.
    Fluids are up to recommended levels.
    Entire exhaust system has about 3k miles on it.
    No codes whatsoever.
    My cat isn't bright red and when I tap it I don't hear anything loose inside.

My guess is its a clogged cat, I'ma cut it off and put a straight pipe on to see if how it'll sound and go from there.

What do yall think?
    1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
    1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
    1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
    2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Re: clogged cat?

If there isn't any flow coming out of it and makes less sound , my guess would be CAT , if you want something that looks like a CAT but is a big resonator , try the deisil muffler I linked on ebay its 7" long 6"'s round with 3"in/out or any size for that matter. They can build them to any size. If you look at it , it looks like a big @ss CAT. It reduced sound really nice that I'm going to go ahead and put a Dynomax Bullet race muffler on to see how it sounds. I think I will run it first just with a 3" turn down then do a split 3" so I can use my Gibson stainless steel 3" turn downs. I really like the look of them out back next to each other. Good luck with yours, I have ran a striaght pipe for about 3 years and love it.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X