Custom intake lid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom intake lid

Has anybody every MIG welded up theyr own intake lid? is it possible to make one that flows as well as a whisper lid?

Also could somebody post up pics of a whisper lid. inside and out and different angles?

Thanks!!
    auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
    15.11@91.14
    Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Re: Custom intake lid

wouldnt that be heavy, being made from steel?

Comment

Originally posted by venom3300 View Post
      wouldnt that be heavy, being made from steel?
      it could probably be made out of very thin aluminum which would probably be lighter than the thick plastic stock piece

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
        it could probably be made out of very thin aluminum which would probably be lighter than the thick plastic stock piece
        yea i was thinking aluminum. But i need to get an idea of what the whisper looks like on the inside.
        auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
        15.11@91.14
        Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

i can prolly get u some pic up but it will be sunday before i have time

but basically its smooth, and is like 1/2"? taller than the stock lid that goes into a round pipe and then into the rubber

Comment

Originally posted by crazytrain65 View Post
            yea i was thinking aluminum. But i need to get an idea of what the whisper looks like on the inside.
            all a whisper lid is, is basically a stock lid that has no fins on the inside, and is a little bit higher

Comment

i made one out of fiber glass

Comment

Originally posted by Fondle View Post
                i made one out of fiber glass
                how did you make it out of fiberglass??

Originally posted by venom3300 View Post
                i can prolly get u some pic up but it will be sunday before i have time
                just wenever man

New Time:
                15.11@91.14
                Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/appear...m-boxes-3.html

Comment

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/appear...m-boxes-3.html

Comment

dont know that much about welding but I'm pretty sure you cant MIG weld aluminum. TIG welding? Like I said I don't know too much I just remember something like that

Comment

Originally posted by zpwn06 View Post
                        dont know that much about welding but I'm pretty sure you cant MIG weld aluminum. TIG welding? Like I said I don't know too much I just remember something like that

Yes, you can MIG weld aluminum..... Thin aluminum sheet, most people will just blow holes in it with a MIG or TIG. TIG would be the one to use If you know how and have lots of time to practice.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zpwn06 View Post
                          you can mig aluminum

Comment

well guys, on the whisper lid, i contacted eckler & got a direct line to whisper & they said "due to the high cost of plastic & the low demand for the v6 lids, we are no longer going to make that product anymore because no one would want to pay the higher cost, because plastic has gone up we would have to charge over double to make it worth our while" ...straight from the horses mouth folks-so maybe some of you guys with the talent & the ability could figure out how to make some & sell 'em out here to us who are wanting them, like i know fondle told me he has made some of his own lids before, cause i have a 98 with the angled intake & havent even been able to find a used one anywhere-just a thought (btw-why cant we just stick one of those cone styles on there like ya see on the imports? will it screw something up on the computer &/or sensors?)

Comment

Originally posted by heavychevy383 View Post
                              (btw-why cant we just stick one of those cone styles on there like ya see on the imports? will it screw something up on the computer &/or sensors?)[/I]
                              you cant, pvc pipe to a cone filter. just make sure u make a spot for the maf sensor. thats basically what K&N makes for our cars, just a different shape

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X