• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• header install

stock vs aftermarket

weird angle, but the bare exhaust valves

got the headers in place, and held them there with a hand tightened bolt

all done on that side! from the top

finally got some headers. went with pacesetters from summit $250 shipped (was at my door a little over a day from ordering too!)

figured id post up some pics and give some tips to anyone looking to do the install. ive only got 1 header on so far, but its turned out to be a hell of easier than i heard. took about 5 hours to remove and install one side, but i took my time.

tips/suggestions:
    - remove the damned heat shields. probably the most annoying and time consuming part ive encountered.
    - you dont have to remove spark plugs like it says, but id at least pull off the wires(make sure you number them so you dont get them mixed up)
    - all i used was a wrench, 1/2" short and deep socket, 3/8" short and mid length extension, and the shortest swivel socket i could find. a breaker bar helps greatly in removing the bolts as well.
    - SOAK THE BOLTS IN PB BLASTER THE NIGHT BEFORE! this makes the removal of the exhaust manifolds so much easier. it's best to remove the heat shields before this so you can really hit the bolts.
    - take your time and use your head. some of the bolts are a pain to reach, but remember they WILL come off with the right combination of extensions and angel (and swivel too on 1 or 2 bolts)
    - also, i bought the cheaper non-ceramic coated headers. i went to advance and bought a 2000 degree ceramic paint spray for $8, which looks and seems to be about the same thing. good way to save some money.

good luck!
    1999 v6 Camaro M5
    Automatic to Manual converted
    Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
    !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Re: header install

mine were a ***** to get in. i had a broken bolt in the heads. nothing a little jb weld couldnt help get out

Comment

is that version of vht paint your supposed to bake? ia have some that your supposed to bake it is slicone though and it is awesome but as soon as you start the car it will get hot enough to not have to worry about baking it.

Originally posted by mestupryan View Post

- remove the damned heat shields. probably the most annoying and time consuming part ive encountered.
      have you ever tried to remove the pass. side lift bracket? lol
      Last edited by vr4gasm; 10-11-2009, 09:11 AM.
      2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
      1991 3000GT VR4
      2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Originally posted by vr4gasm View Post
        is that version of vht paint your supposed to bake? ia have some that your supposed to bake it is slicone though and it is awesome but as soon as you start the car it will get hot enough to not have to worry about baking it.

yeah youre supposed to cure it, but its says you can cure it just by running and shutting off the car a few times

Originally posted by vr4gasm View Post
        have you ever tried to remove the pass. side lift bracket? lol
        haha nope
        1999 v6 Camaro M5
        Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
        !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Comment

Originally posted by jeffyp32 View Post
          mine were a ***** to get in. i had a broken bolt in the heads. nothing a little jb weld couldnt help get out
          ah thats my worst fear. all i had happen so far was that the nut just came off, and the threaded shaft stayed in the head, but vice grips made easy work of that :P

pb blaster does wonders
          1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

figured id update. got the other side in pretty easily. broke a bolt off, but it came out pretty easily with some vice grips:

the ceramic paint i bought either sucks, or i didn't cure it right because it just flaked right off after dogging on the car for a little bit

anyways, i also welded up a custom true dual x pipe setup:

after working on it for about a week, i got frustrated with trying to hang it and also my welds suck and i had exhaust leaks, so i took it to an exhaust shop. a day and $75 bucks later and my car was finished. sounds like heaven. ill try to get a sound clip soon!
            1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

ballin!!! looks nice!
              Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Looks good. Can't wait to hear clips of the true dual setup. :tup:
                '99 Camaro
                '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Header install was a fun project. Looks nice, especially with the paint.

Comment

please tell me you didnt use the paper gaskets

Comment

That's some tite headers. I have PaceSetters :D.
                      Leonard
                      www.fquick.com/96V6Junkie
                      sigpic

Comment

post the exhaust clip :rock:

Comment

Originally posted by Fondle View Post
                          please tell me you didnt use the paper gaskets
                          yep but i covered em in copper sealent, hopefully they'll hold up. if not, it isnt really terrible to take the headers off.

sound clip coming tomorrow!!:stp:
                          1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

Cool :)
                            Leonard
                            www.fquick.com/96V6Junkie
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mestupryan View Post
                              the ceramic paint i bought either sucks, or i didn't cure it right because it just flaked right off after dogging on the car for a little bit
                              true story here man ^ i did the exact same thing with my pacesetters and bought the hi temp ceramic paint and took the time to do several nice layers and even bake/cure them. needless to say---bolted up the headers and fired the 'maro up and that sh*t flaked off like snow. i was pissed.

either way, the headers will still do their job, just wont be as pretty.
                              pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                              gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X