resonators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resonators?

Are any of you guys running resonators on your exaust? I just had a 2 1/2" dynomax super turbo welded on today, and I was dissapointed because my car still had the rasp. When the guy started my car he kinda reved it a little and it rasped and the manager told me it was rasping before the exaust got to the muffler. Should I just get a bullet muffler and put it in place of my intermediate pipe?
    1997 Chevrolet Camaro
    L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Re: resonators?

hell must have froze over... i didnt think dynomax could do any wrong LOLOL

some ppl here dont have rasp, but idk how to stop it

Comment

well i've heard the 3I/O dynomax's are better..but all 3.8s pretty much rasp unless u got some money.

Comment

I just got mine all redone for the turbo setup and the resonator I used is 7" long and 6"'s round , put it where the CAT would normally be with a 3" V band on the one side, so I can hook up my downpipe from the turbo. My car is really mellow now, usually the 3" in/out Dynomax mufflers with a 3" trun down don't rasp , mine didn't , but I put on a Dynomax Super turbo 3'in/ 2-2.5"s out on with 2 Gibson stainless steel 3" turn downs. With the resonator it doesn't rasp at all and is very mellow. In my FI thread has a link to the resonator, they can make the in/out any size.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

does anyone know If a 4" outer diameter muffler will fit under the car without clearance issues? Im looking at a summit glasspack, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-630805/.
          1997 Chevrolet Camaro
          L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

btw the muffler needs to break in then you will lose alot of the rasp
            2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
            1991 3000GT VR4
            2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

^^yeah, let it burn in and there will be a difference....

Comment

i'm with venom on this one---i didnt know Team Dynomax had any faults ;)

espey: is the rest of your exhaust stock? full 2 1/2" piping? you have pacesetters in, correct? hi flow cat?

all of those things will factor in on sound
                pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Just going to ask that. All you have is the muffler? No other piping or aftermarket system?

Comment

I put a super turbo on my car last march, and I agree it's definitely worthwhile to just let it burn in.

When I first had the muffler on, I was told it sounded borderline ricey... Now they're all jealous of the tone, since it's had time to break in.

Comment

break in time is something you must consider, on my borla it was pretty quiet until a few weeks came by.

and yes hows the rest of your exhaust system?

and dynomax failed? another point for borla??? hah
                      1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                      1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
                      1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
                      2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

what about just running a cat w/o muffler? anybody done that? my magnaflow muffler seems to be causing the fart-pipe-rasp sound & i's only getting worse, & alot of people say how good their ride sounds w/ a cut-out, so i kinda thought bout just cutting the muffler off?!? i'm not worried about it being loud (i'm runnin dual 3" w/ turndowns at axel on my '71-so it can't be louder than that-lol) i just don't want it to sound stupid...or have more rasp than w/ the muffler?!? (currently running stock exhaust manifolds w/ dynatech cat & cat back magnaflow set up-hoping for headers when time & $ allow)
                        Last edited by heavychevy383; 10-26-2009, 11:37 AM.

Comment

i would imagine straight pipes on these cars would be very raspy...

get an e-cutout and have the best of both worlds (esp. with headers)
                          pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                          gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Originally posted by BallerMaro13 View Post
                            i would imagine straight pipes on these cars would be very raspy...

get an e-cutout and have the best of both worlds (esp. with headers)
                            yeah, i was reading where some of yall are running those, ive seen them in all the summit/jegs parts catalogs, not a bad ideal, but im still gonna have to get rid of the magnaflow, ...so they still rasp when you open your cutout? if thats the case then is it actually the design of the engine thats causing the sound? btw-what brand of headers would you recomend for a 98 3.8? -thanks

Comment

most people on the boards have pacesetters, thats what i have.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X