Angled Intake mod Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angled Intake mod Revisited

Finally had time to mess around with the intake tonight. Stopped on the way home from work at Lowes and picked up anything I thought might work.

In the end, the corrugated pipe worked best. Needed to make a hard connection between the pipe and the filter neck. So I ended up cutting off about 3/4" of flange from a 3" ABS elbow and gluing it onto a 1.5" piece of ABS 3" pipe. That makes the corrugated pipe mate to the rubber neck on the filter housing.

Here are the pics...

Cut off the end clean where it mounts to the throttle body. Then warmed it up with heat gun and stretched the pipe just a tad so it slipped on the throttle body. Then attach with stainless steel band clamp.

Next the connector made from a piece of flange and pipe is fit in the filter end and attached with another clamp. (The blue filter is the Kool Blue filter. Looks just like a K&N but blue. $31 w/tax & shipping. )

The corrugated tube rubs the radiator housing, so a piece of truck tire inner tube was cut and wrapped around and attached with black zip ties as to be less obtrusive.

Then the rubber neck is fit over the mating flange made from ABS, and a clamp holds it tightly together.

Thats it for now. Solid, free flowing, and gives a nice growl when I stand on it.

If you had to buy everything I used, it would run less than $20.

What I like is it was quick and easy, doesn't look too "home made", and completely reversible if I want to put back the OEM setup.
    Last edited by Mark42; 10-09-2009, 06:24 PM.

Re: Angled Intake mod Revisited

ewwww

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

just make it out of alum. intercooler pipe that would look the best :) glad you upgraded the zip ties to worm gear clamps btw
      2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
      1991 3000GT VR4
      2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

I feel sorry for 1998 year model guys...All this trouble...

Comment

Could the 98 guys run the slp intake for the 97 and earlier cars?
          1997 Chevrolet Camaro
          L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

i wouldnt see why not
            sigpic

Comment

not bad for what it cost you. I am not sure how those bends affect the air flow.
              1997 Camaro LS1 RS
              1994 Camaro - Sold
              1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

Thanks for all the input, guys. I'm not really concerned about appearance. More interested in it being reliable. Wish it didn't have the ribbed tube, but its the only thing I could find that actually fit well.

The only after market intake I found for the angled throttle body used a section of dryer vent looking stuff that I doubt is as tough as what I used. So why spend $150 for a piece of dryer vent and oval filter when I can make a better setup with the cool blue filter a corrugated pipe for $20?

It works well and I'd rather put the money towards a Torsen LSD and gears that will really make a big difference rather than a nice looking intake that won't make much of an impact and no one will see.

Spring time I have some fiberglass work to do on the boats, so I will probably make a nice glass intake at that time when I have all the materials out.

Comment

finally someone made it work on an angled tb, nice. weld up pipe and get rid of the hoses.
                  3M MAFIA
                  ________
                  | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
                  Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
                  sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X