Angled Intake Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angled Intake Mod

Been working on replacing the air box on my 98 Firebird with angled intake manifold.

First thing I did was a simple change to bypass the air box to see what the affect would be. I used simple aluminum coiled dryer hose to connect the filter box to the manifold. This seems to provide good high RPM improvement even with no change to the filter box. But this can't be a permanent change because dryer vent hose just won't hold up long term.

Note how it rubs the radiator housing. Not good.

Next I went looking for some materials that would hold up better than dryer hose. Plain old PVC fittings in 4" were too big, and 3" is too small. I came across a lightweight HDPE collapsible and bendable drain pipe designed for 4" applications. This was cut and fit in place of the dryer vent, but also uses the rubber boot from the air filter box to connect.

This worked much better. Notice this version is also rubbing the radiator, but it is actually much smoother inside than the dryer vent. Also notice how nicely the factory rubber boot transitions from oval on the air filter to round on the flexible hose.

In both tests, tie wraps were used to hold things together because these are only tests.

The plastic hose will be left on for a week or so to see how it holds up to under hood temps. The long term plan is to use the plastic as a mold to pull a fiberglass hose from. Probably wrap the plastic hose with paper mache to make it rigid, and easy to clean up any mess under the hood. Then the paper mache coated hose is removed, smoothed (to get rid of the ribs) and covered in two or three layers of fiberglass. Then its cut in half length wise, the plastic pipe and paper mache removed, and the two halves glassed back together.

If anyone wants to do the plastic pipe route, the pipe is this available at Lowes for about $7.00:

But for long term use, a piece of rubber, like bicycle tube, or another layer of corrigated pipe should be wrapped around the pipe where it rubs the radiator. Another step is to wrap the whole intake with foil backed foam insulation to help keep the incoming air from absorbing heat from under hood.

Well, thats how far I got. Will run the HDPE pipe for a week or so and then proceed to making a fiberglass permanent pipe.

Re: Angled Intake Mod

zip ties? c'mon man
    2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
    1991 3000GT VR4
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Originally posted by vr4gasm View Post
      zip ties? c'mon man
      Doesn't it say they are temporary?

Comment

still i am a firm believer in do not do it unless you can do it right.. you shouldn't do anything to your car that is temporary
        2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
        1991 3000GT VR4

Comment

still i am a firm believer in do not do it unless you can do it right.. you shouldn't do anything to your car that is temporary
          Ok, boss, I'm not going to knock your beliefs.

Any other comments about the setup?

Comment

gotta agree here, if you're going to mod, take the time to do it right the first time or usually it's gonna come back to bite you.

the fiberglass permanent solution seems to be a way to go---fondle rigged up some fiberglass for his setup and it works perfectly according to him. let us know how that goes.
            pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
            gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

I like the foil and zip ties better.LOL J/K Final result came out great. Good job
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Well, I think the HDPE is better than the foil, but still not good enough in my book. The HDPE still has the ringed design I'd like to avoid if possible. And I just don't have the time to fab up a fiberglass tube right now. So in place, I think I'll just order these 3.5" rubber hoses to replace the HDPE.

(see, this is why you do temp stuff with tie wraps, when fabing up your designs) ;)

Right now I put the car back to OEM, and sent an email off to the rubber hose guys to get exact measurments.

For something like this, you really shouldn't use anything less than a marine grade stainless band clamp. So after its all fabbed up, I'll order the exact quantity of stainess marine clamps and fasteners I need.

Sometimes its easier to just buy what you need than make it. ;)

When its all done, I'll post a parts/supplier list for anyone who wants to build the same.

EDIT:

BTW, the intake manifold is actually only 3.5" wide, so the best bet is 3.5" x 3.5" elbow at manifold to 3.5 x 4" elbow to filter housing.
                Last edited by Mark42; 09-30-2009, 03:52 PM.

Comment

On my '98, I used a piece of aluminum tubing (can't remember what diameter, but I can try to find out) and a modified Grand Prix intake boot to bypass my silencer. All I had to do was cut the tube to length and flatten one end out just slightly. On the Grand Prix intake boot, it has a large flanged lip on the end that connects to the throttle body. I trimmed this off and smoothed it down so that I could use the clamp to hold it to the thottle body. the only thing I don't like is that it has a molded in grommet for an IAT sensor. Easy fix though, just find an appropriately sized plug and glue it in.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                    I like the foil and zip ties better.LOL J/K Final result came out great. Good job
                    What's wrong with foil?! The hell do you think my downpipe is made out of?!

TEAM C6V6

Comment

please tell me your kidding lol
                      2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
                      1991 3000GT VR4

Comment

I wanna see that.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X