mufflers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mufflers

what is the best muffler or muffler type for the v6 camaro...Don't say flowmaster, i have heard so so many flowmasters on the camaro and they sound like a big fat ricer revving anything over 3500. But is a glasspack a good type or a chambered? I want it louder, I want the rasp gone, but I don't want to obtain the sound of a fart can.

Re: mufflers

if you think a flowmaster is ricerish then a chambered or glasspack will be 10 times worse.. dynomax muffler FTW and there is only one muffler btw not 2
    2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
    1991 3000GT VR4
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

i never said there was two mufflers?? maybe you should re read it. Well what about dynomax, I found a single inlet, dual outlet crossflow muffler, 2.5"..how would that sound?

Comment

you said mufflers with an s that means more than one muffler :P

it is nice and mellow at idle sounds almost stock then when you get on it it really opens up.. cuts out alot of the rasp that your gonna have with the 3.8 motor...
        2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
        1991 3000GT VR4
        2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

borla

Comment

borla is the way to go, good power, good feel, great sound, i love mine

Comment

borla is pretty expensive, how big of a difference is a dynomax muffler than borla?
              and what about cats..will a high flow cat reduce rasp?

Comment

or headers? I want the raspy ricer sound eliminated as much as possible. i know i got tublar manifolds so would headers do much?

Comment

headers will help. and a high flow cat will help also, i bought my borla on ls1 tech for 70$

Comment

borla xr-1 isnt that expensive, its good for the price you pay.

now if your going full borla cat back...ouch

wheres baller? how much was it baller? lots of pennies? lol
                    1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                    1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
                    1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
                    2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

You need to pick a exhaust size first , if you have the stock exhaust pipes , no muffler is going to help that much making it louder. First thing I would do is headers, then pick a good exhuast size 3" is good in case you do FI or nitrous or just NA with a cam. Then I would worry about the muffler, My Dynomax with a VS cam, RK sport headers, 3" exhaust , no cat and mandrel bent oval the axel tubing with a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler 3" in/3"out with a 3" turndown was like the Summit Turbo muffler but louder and no rasp shifting at 6000 RPMS. Then my new setup is a Dynomax Super Turbo 3"in/ (2)-2 1/2" out with 2 3" Gibson polished turndowns on the drivers side. Its louder at idle and through the gears than the other 3"in/out Dynomax but has a more racing sound to it which I like or I would just buy another muffler.

I have tried the stock exhuast with RKSports Dynomax back when I bought the car in Dec. 95' and that was alright, then upgraded the exhaust to 3" when I got the RK Sport headers with a Flowmaster 80 series, was too raspy got a 24" resonator put on and it was alright for awhile, had my engine built with the VS cam in it, then tried a flowmaster 40 series without the resonator and it was loud but I didn't like it. Then put on the Summit Turbo and it was great no rasp but too mellow for me , so I put on the Dynomax 3"in/out muffler and it was great at idle also no rasp, but I wanted it alittle louder so about 3 weeks ago put on the Dynomax Super turbo 3"in/ (2) 2 1/2"'s out and like it alot better now the idle sounds mean and has a low rumble when crusing and I like the way it sounds when I get on it. Plus the 2 3" polished turn downs look good on the rear. I'm going to redo the piping alittle to clean it up but I will keep this muffler for awhile, plus it still needs to be broken in since I have only put about 25 miles on it.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

well I have a custom CAI, 180* thermo, B&M shift kit, and a bunch of other performanced replaced things, the CAI actually gave the car a much deeper tone, it's started to lose that but i think i just need a new filter..anyway, by december I plan to have all exhaust parts ready to be put on, I have played around online trying to find the best setup, I bought a while back two cats two glasspacks and two cherrybomb 45* cut tips, but couldn't find a shop willing to get their hands dirty and build me a true dual setup so I pitched out that idea, sold both cats, and i have heard glasspacks don't sound good on 3.8l so i'm in the process of craigslisting those, I don't know what exactly to do with the 3" tips, I heard those are too big and that I should get smaller ones. So right now what I'm looking at getting are

3" I/O HighFlow cat..probably the same one I had before I sold them, Thunderbolt brand...Now i've heard these will NOT throw codes, is that correct?????
                        then I haven't decided on what diameter piping to use from cat back, I heard 3" screws with the powerband and you feel like you lose torque?? I heard 2.5" is better for rasp???? It's a stock motor, maybe a while down the road I'll rebuild the motor and toss a cam into it along with some other engine work but for the stock motor what size will eliminate rasp and be overall th best??
                        ---Right before the axle I was going to put a cutout(bolt on so I can replace with straight pipe for inspection/emission time :) )
                        ---Then go into a dynomax single inlet/dual outlet muffler(which is better, super turbo or non???)
                        ---then I want the Cherrybomb 45 cut tips, stainless steel...but size to be determined..

HEADERS!!!!!- I read that they don't provide much over the tubular manifolds????? Possibly throw codes?? ARe they worth the money?

Any help to this setup and advice would be appreciated..different ppl tell me different things, obviously the owners of 3.8ls with exhaust would know better than I would.

Comment

My overall biggest concern....not to sound like those youtube camaro with just a catback flowmaster..they sound like a ricer and are raspy as hell!

Comment

headers will def help with the rasp, it will deepen and give it a much throatier growl.

If you want more rumble you can always dump your exhaust before the rear axle, this will resonate under the car and produce a deeper tone than running tail pipes, just a though though.

If you get a cut out go electric cut out so you can close it inside the car.
                            1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                            1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
                            1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
                            2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

yes whatever you do, DO NOT GET FLOWMASTER! also, if your going for a dual tip look, or if you dont want any tips to show, i dont care for how the tips look on camaros, so i just got a 1 in/out borla and dumped it under the bumper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X