Humming sound from muffler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humming sound from muffler

While driving in the low RPM's, I get this slight humming from the exhaust. Lasts about half a second or so. Any ideas on what it is? It's been raining lately, and it could be the water rapidly cooling off the pipes underneath, causing weird air pressure things to occur.
    Last edited by enzia35; 09-12-2009, 10:07 PM.

Re: Humming sound from muffler

Could be rear end making noise. But when the exhaust is hot it will expand and water hitting it will try and cool it, usually mine makes a popping sound after I turn it off and it sits, just the exhaust cooling down.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

weld/clamp coming loose?

Comment

My stock muffler does this on low speed high load areas, such as going up the steep hill to my house. It only does it for a second or two every once in a while. To me, it sounds like something is vibrating or the muffler is moving around somewhat. But it doesn't happen often, so I'm not too worried about it. A new muffler will take care of it.
        '99 Camaro
        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Another possibilities is that your exhaust is rubbing somewhere. During the lower rpms a different but more noticeable frequency is resonating from the pipes through the body that you can hear. Or you just plain have a leak somewhere.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X