my dad's z28 won't start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my dad's z28 won't start!

this is cut and pasted from my post at cz28.com. maybe someone here has some ideas! i'm stumped!

my dad's 93 z28 a4 stalled today. it was driving fine before it stalled, no warning signs. after stalling at idle at a light, he tried to restart it. it turned over very slowly. someone pulled over and helped him jump it to no avail. it still turned over slowly. after a minute of this a small puff of smoke came from the engine compartment. after that it wouldn't turn over at all. after work i went to take a look. it was getting dark an i didn't bring a lift and jack so i couldn't check underneath. all the fuses were good. didn't see any relays that had to do with the starter. tried jumping again, still nothing. i could hear the fuel pump prime. i tried to listen for the starter solenoid, but i only heard some light clicking, not sure if it was the solenoid (my jeep solenoid gives you a LOUD click to let you know it's working). he does have an aftermarket alarm (viper).
    here is what i think: there are 2 seperate problems.

1-why did it stall
    2-why won't it turn over

my guess as to why:

1-no idea why it stalled.
    2-it won't turn over because the starter was failing to begin with, and it finally died. or the alarm is screwy and is cutting off the starter (which doesn't expain why it turned over slowly to begin with).

so my plan is to pull the starter tomorrow and have it checked, and if it's fine check the cable going from the positive terminal to the starter soleniod to see if there is some kind of cutout thing from the alarm, and if there is, bypass it. i guess i could run a cable from the positive term to the starter soleniod while i have the car on jacks before i pull the starter.

any one have any ideas? had this happen to them? any and all advice is appreciated!!!
    95 Med Quasar Blue Camaro M5<br />-free ram air scoop<br />-removed silencer/cut airbox<br />-slp air temp module<br />-tb bypass<br />-160* thermostat<br />-underdrive pulleys<br />-installed my own t-tops! best mod yet!

If all else fails, check the Opti...LT1's are notorious for crapping Opti's.
    2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

Im just gonna throw this out there--- CAMAROV6.com/FIREBIRDV6.com...Why are there posts about LT1's on here? Im not saying I have a prob with LT1's or LS1's but it is a V6 site...
      1993 3.4 <br />Borla rear section<br />3 inch Catco High Flow Cat<br />2.75 inch I pipe (Picked one up from an LT-1 guy for a whole $10)<br />K&N Fipk <br />180° T-stat<br />Jet Stage II<br />10 Spoke Z28 Wheels<br />NGK\'s, Taylor Spiros<br />Mobil 1 synthetic<p>Email Viper2@chesnet.net for 4th gen replacement parts.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Original 4th Gen V6:
        Im just gonna throw this out there--- CAMAROV6.com/FIREBIRDV6.com...Why are there posts about LT1's on here? Im not saying I have a prob with LT1's or LS1's but it is a V6 site...<hr></blockquote>

Everyone is welcome to post problems about any car.

Ok have you checked the battery cables? kinda sounds like that could be the problem. I had a cable go bad on my 95 and it did the exact same thing.
        2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

original, i'm not going to flame you, but have a look around, there are plenty of z28s and t/a's in here. at least one of our moderators has a z28, does he have to leave? if you don't have anything helpful to add, don't post. i'll add my signature, does that make you feel better? just trying to help my dad out.

edit: thanks blue! it was getting a little dark so i wasn't able to check the cables well, i will do that first thing when i pop the hood tomorrow! sometimes it's the simplest thing! i can hope! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ March 06, 2002: Message edited by: wilsoncj6 ]</p>
          95 Med Quasar Blue Camaro M5<br />-free ram air scoop<br />-removed silencer/cut airbox<br />-slp air temp module<br />-tb bypass<br />-160* thermostat<br />-underdrive pulleys<br />-installed my own t-tops! best mod yet!

Comment

Sound like its brolen and time for a new one!!!! By the way looks as if you have an extra V8 on your hand, you could alawys send it down to me ill take it off your hands!!! JK :D

but all kidding aside it could also be the fuses because when i drove my 88 silverado last year i got the started replaced becasue it wouldnt start, then when in a fastfood drive thru line the truck quit working, i tried to start it up but it wouldnt work, i thought it was the starter again but it ended up being a Fuse, so check all your fuses it couldnt hurt! Hope this was a help!

Eddie
            2002 Pewter a4 Camaro<br />No Mods as of yet, but this Spring:<br />Wisper Lid<br />Borla Catback<br />Holly Power Shot air Filter<br />Tranns-go shift Kit<br />Alum. or Carbon Fiber drive shaft<br />And may be in the future an LS6

Comment

oh wait i just re-read your post and see you have tried the fuses.....sorry about that....i have no idea what the problem could be. but it sound electrical
              2002 Pewter a4 Camaro<br />No Mods as of yet, but this Spring:<br />Wisper Lid<br />Borla Catback<br />Holly Power Shot air Filter<br />Tranns-go shift Kit<br />Alum. or Carbon Fiber drive shaft<br />And may be in the future an LS6

Comment

thanks supercamaroz06! ya, it sounds electrical to me too. i didn't check the fuel pressure going to the rails, but i heard the pump prime, so i'm assuming the fuel system is good for now. i'll update tomorrow after i check her out in the light! fingers crossed! i got to take good care of his z28, because it's going to be mine one day!!! [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Comment

If you try turning starting it again, watch the dome lights, and see if they dim considerably. If they do, of course that means there's a short somewhere. If not, at least it rules out something in the circuit grounded.
                  Also, check for fusible links. They can cause all kinds of problems, because they're not on the main fuse panels. A schematic will show where in the circuit they are. Then you get the fun and exciting task of tracing wires :D . If you need a wiring manual, the Haynes have them, or go to a dealership, and ask if you can take a look at their shop manual. Hope this helps.
                  Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X