No announcement yet.

My special oil change :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever tried to use that POS? I tried using it the other day and looking for those slots or whatever that the jack is suppose to fit in, they aren't there. I saw something that resembled one in the back, a small slot in the frame of the car. Those jacks are crap, mine sits in a closet in my garage.

Anyways, the whole point to this is that Fraser said he did this and it's not possible.
    1997 Nassau Blue Vette<br />1989 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (lifted with 31\" tires)<br />2000 V6 Camaro, loud, cammed 210rwhp *SOLD*

Comment

Yeah, I've used it. I've also used far worse. That little sucker is actually pretty stable if you do it right. There are lift points all over your car, I think there's even a diagram in the owners manual. Believe it or not, one of them is actually right next to the spot that says NOT A LIFT POINT. I'd really put it back in your car.
      Anyway... The point I was trying to make is that if there was a tried-and-true shortcut, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would just be 'the way'.
      \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

dude just go buy a jack, or get one from a buddy or something. Or just have pepboys do it. Yes the stock one is a piece but you can get a small jack and a stand that wouldn't take up much space.
        Josh<br />96 Red Firebird <br />SLP intake, zex nitrous 75 shot(for sale), purge kit, MAC lca + phr, Jamex springs, flowmaster 80 series, ES tranny bushing, SCR subframe conectors, Harlan shiftlight, A/F guage, MSD dis-4, Accel wires w/ NGK tr6\'s, foglights, stereo, zexel torsion LSD, Walboro 255 pump, and more.<br />Looking for: 1le ds, nx wet kit + accesories

Comment

I am so amused by this string. It's the longest one in days and it's about OIL CHANGES of all things! Something else to chew on, lets see how my math is here. I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country, but here there's always somebody running a special on oil changes for $15. Take the cost of oil- about a buck and a half per quart for name brand stuff, and a filter- around five bucks. Five quarts of oil plus a filter is $12.50. You're saving $2.50 by doing it yourself. You could have had somebody else do 20 oil changes for the price of that oil sucker you bought. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
          \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

Don't climb under your car with it up on the stock spare jack. I have seen more than one fall on someone. They suck.
            1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
            1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Shadly:
              I am so amused by this string. It's the longest one in days and it's about OIL CHANGES of all things! Something else to chew on, lets see how my math is here. I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country, but here there's always somebody running a special on oil changes for $15. Take the cost of oil- about a buck and a half per quart for name brand stuff, and a filter- around five bucks. Five quarts of oil plus a filter is $12.50. You're saving $2.50 by doing it yourself. You could have had somebody else do 20 oil changes for the price of that oil sucker you bought. [img]tongue.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

Actually it's only long because I commented on a string that has been off of the first page for a long time. The issue here isn't that the tire change jack is a piece or the cost of changing your oil, I'll attack that one in just a sec. The point was that somebody here actually came up with a new idea which I tried and said to work well however unless they changed the way dipstick tubes are made, I don't see this person ever getting this to work.

Well on the cost of an oil change part, try getting a good oil, Royal Purple. You buy it for $5+ per quart, an AC Delco Filter and then take it to an oil change place to pay anouther sum to have them put in your oil. You wait in line, it takes for ever, they strip off your threads on your drain plug, they leave the oil cap off and it all drains out and ruins your motor. Oh yeah, the only $15 specials I've ever seen are at Wal Mart, never go there, those guys don't even graduate 6th grade.

So anyways, if your using good oil, changing it yourself is the only way to go.

Oh yeah, you don't even have to use a jack to change your oil. I didn't. Just reach under there. One less thing to mess with untill I get the ground effects or lower my car, then my arms will just have to streach a little more. Unless you have a 3.4V6 then you have to get under there to get to the oil filter if I remember right. Anouther shocking thing, the oil change light does work and is better than just changing your oil every 3,000 miles. Technology? What's that? Lets just do it the old way, they way we've been doing it since the 60's. Oh wait, I wasn't born till 79, dang, Stuipd flashback.
              1997 Nassau Blue Vette<br />1989 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (lifted with 31\" tires)<br />2000 V6 Camaro, loud, cammed 210rwhp *SOLD*

Comment

I dont understand all these fancy toys.

I have been changing oil the GOOD OL FASHIONED way for a few years now and my father has been doing it for 30+ years. Are cars are running PERFECTLY and we will continue to do the work OURSELVES.

This way, you know YOU DID THE WORK RIGHT!..who know's what the guys do when they change ur oil!

A friend of mine had his oil changed at a good mechanic. Ran him around $18-$20 or so..turns out the rubber gasket on his old oil filter somehow was stuck to the engine, mechanic didnt realize and just put the new filter right over it. He didnt tighten it all that well and guess what, oil leaked out, then his engine developed a knock, now he had to replace the WHOLE engine.

All because he was too lazy to jack up the car, drain the oil himself and replace everything. Geez it dont take me more than 30-45 mins.

Just my .02
                <a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/danny83/car_pix\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.pbase.com/danny83/root</a><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/ttopbird96\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/ttopbird96</a> [/URL]<br />00 NMB Formula M6<br />323.4HP, 336.5TQ<br />Lid, Filter, Cutout, all else stock :)<p>\"Let the modding begin!\"

Comment

Just thought I'd mention the over sized mobile 1 filter is m-201.
                  The regular size is m-101.

Running it now and fits w/ plenty of room to spare.
                  -96 Birdie<br />-2x 87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z<br />-97 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel

Comment

Don't get under a car supported by a jack! Many people get hurt/killed each year when they try that. Bad way to go. Good alternatives:

1. Do the oil change by reaching under without jacking.

2. Get a set of ramps. Maybe $30 and you delay the oil change by some time. How much is your life worth?

3. Jack the car, but use jackstands. Try to knock the car off the stands by shaking it hard before you get under it.

4. Take it to someone for the oil change.
                    2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X