my car is confusing me and pissing me off!!!!!! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my car is confusing me and pissing me off!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: my car is confusing me and pissing me off!!!!!!

not too hard at all... just checked the manual and there is a way to test the solenoid in the vehicle...

Put the car in Neutral
    Connect a wire from the S terminal on the solenoid to the battery positive

if the starter now operates, then the problem is either the ign. switch, or the wiring...

If you're not comfortable doing that, then I would just remove it and take it to a parts store and have them bench test it...

1.Disconnect Neg. of battery
    2.(from starter) disconnect solenoid wire and wire from battery cable... they're held on by nuts on the starter, once you're down there you'll see them... There are three wires on the solenoid: one goes from the starter motor to the solenoid, it is the one closest to the starter motor...you don't need to remove this one
    the other is a thick cable coming from the battery mine's a 13mm nut, remove this one
    and the last is a thin wire held on by an 8mm nut, remove this one
    3. remove the bolts... I think there's two
    4. then remove the starter... there may be spacer shims, if there are just make sure to note where they are... you must put these back in their same locations with the new starter

Install is reverse of removal... hope this helps, and make sure you have them test the starter, instead of just selling you a new one
    Last edited by T-Mill; 07-30-2009, 01:25 AM.
    Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
    Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

x2 on starter. Thats exactly what they do when the solenoid is going out. And it is easy to replace.
      sigpic
      98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

just two questions for T-mill if you dont mind. Can i test it with any wire? (guessing not) and which as the S terminal how will i tell it apart from the others. ok ill get to it today thanks for the help, i save hundreds by coming here.lol
        Last edited by firebird19_99; 07-30-2009, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Does it have one of those chips in the key? My 94 does this from time to time.
          The connection for the securety inside of the lock cylinder might be bad. Does it have a security light on the dash. If so, is it on?

Comment

no the security light isnt on when i turn the key to the start position. Are those hard to replace?

Comment

um anyone can tell me where the starter is? looked in the manual and tried to find it but couldnt, i know theres a cover i have to remove.

Comment

Originally posted by firebird19_99 View Post
                um anyone can tell me where the starter is? looked in the manual and tried to find it but couldnt, i know theres a cover i have to remove.
                bottom drivers side of the block

Comment

could you give me a more visual description of its location, sorry

Comment

nevermind i found it cant believe how many times ive passed it and never noticed it. Seems simple to replace

Comment

never mind problem fixed it was bad connection, connections to the started were corroded just had to sand them down and give it a jump. Now she starts fine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                        New Owner!
                        by LETZRIDE
                        I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                        2 days ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Little work today
                        by ssms5411
                        Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • LETZRIDE
                        Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                        by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                        Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                        By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                        Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                        02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X