Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pan

i have a very small/ slow oil leak...it kinda sucks

Can i replace the oil pan gasket with out removing the trans? I feel that i need to remove the trans to get to the pan...

:wavey:

Re: Oil pan

I'm not sure if you can replace the pan without removing the k-frame.

Comment

hmm true..

lol im kinda using this thread to think out loud..

I feel that the oil leak is because of the oil pan gasket..but you never know with oil leaks xD

Comment

you can replace the oil pan gasket without removing the trans/k member

Comment

yes oil pan can be removed with out trans removed or k member but will have to raise engine off motor mounts to do so
          1999 Camaro V6 A4<br />Navy Blue metallic<br />Intake+Exhaust+4.10+?=?

Comment

If you decide to do it by dropping the tranny the only problem is that you have to remove the oil pick-up with the oil pan still partially in place. If you do it this way, you will see why its difficult.
            sigpic
            1997 Camaro RS A4
            2006 Chevy Colorado
            2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

thanks all!! Im gonna try this in a couple of days..since im taking off the mounts for the engine, i might as well change them along with the gasket :)

Comment

Originally posted by Shodown View Post
                If you decide to do it by dropping the tranny the only problem is that you have to remove the oil pick-up with the oil pan still partially in place. If you do it this way, you will see why its difficult.
                im confused, you dont have to remove the oil pan to replace the gasket

Comment

Originally posted by calvo View Post
                  will have to raise engine off motor mounts to do so

^this, and you'll have to loosen the k-member bolts a few turns to remove
                  the oil pan. I didn't have to remove the oil pick up tube when I did it. If you
                  remove the nut from the trans mount you'll get a little more wiggle room also.

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                    I never said you had to remove the oil pan completely, but you do have to remove the oil pick-up and with the K member in the way the oil pan doesnt drop down very far making it quite difficult to remove the forward 8 mm bolt that holds the pick-up in place. Make sense?

(this is only if you drop the tranny and dont raise the motor)
                    Last edited by Shodown; 07-23-2009, 11:29 PM.
                    sigpic
                    1997 Camaro RS A4
                    2006 Chevy Colorado
                    2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post

it would be better to remove it just to be certain that all the old gasket is completely gone..

Comment

well the main goal here for me is to not drop the tranny, i hate doing it lol..i was just seeing if it could be done without removing it. i was told i had to, but apparently i dont :):banana:

Comment

Are you sure it is the GAsket and not the pan on my 94 Bird before I started the restore on it had a leak and it looked like the gasket but was actually the pan it had rusted so thin that the oil was actually seeping out of the pan causing the leak. After the pan was removed and inspected it looked solid enough but if you looked really close you could see pinholes in the pan. Just a thought.

Comment

I am in the middle of doing this now. I dont see how dropping the trans will help getting the pan out. Right now it is the exhaust Y pipe holding me up, it runs in front of the trans and under the rear of the oil pan. With the Y pipe there the rear of the pan wont drp down. I am still not sure if you can get the engine up high enough to get the pan out but at least from this thread I now know I can pull off the pickup and it will come out.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by 94Firebird34 View Post
                              Are you sure it is the GAsket and not the pan on my 94 Bird before I started the restore on it had a leak and it looked like the gasket but was actually the pan it had rusted so thin that the oil was actually seeping out of the pan causing the leak. After the pan was removed and inspected it looked solid enough but if you looked really close you could see pinholes in the pan. Just a thought.
                              good thought, ill check it out..cause mines a 96, so i mean its not far from yours. thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X